Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-23-2013, 06:49 AM   #346
#1Fan
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 676
Jeff, when you get to Brazil, would you please post some pics of the women?!
Everyone should be so lucky as to be able to ride a motorbike through the Himalayas.
#1Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 08:43 AM   #347
ReadyFreddy
Adventurer

Oddometer: 16
Wow, Jeff, the adventure continues and what an adventure it is. It definitely is exciting to read and makes us realize how good we have it here and how we take our quality of life for granted.
You're a good man to be able to face the hardships of the challenges in your road, and be able to summon the help of those around you help when you need it most. Only a good natured individual who can exude his qualities will invite this kind of help through his travels.
Keep the faith, Jeff, always nice to see the pictures of a smiling face enjoying R&R when you know how hard it was to get there.
Cheers
Anthony
ReadyFreddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 07:48 PM   #348
Super Tenere OP
Voyager

Oddometer: 327
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kedgi View Post
Jeff
I am really enjoying your report. Cheap Gas, running out of cash, bank machines that don't work, sketchy bathrooms, the joys of travel. You are doing a great job of hanging in there.

Kedgi
Thanks Kedgi, I know you had your share of these travel delights as well.

Jeff
Old 10-23-2013, 07:51 PM   #349
Super Tenere OP
Voyager

Quote:
Originally Posted by #1Fan View Post
Jeff, when you get to Brazil, would you please post some pics of the women?!
Hey #1Fan, just woman or do they have to be pretty as well.

Jeff
Old 10-23-2013, 08:04 PM   #350
Super Tenere OP
Voyager

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReadyFreddy View Post
Wow, Jeff, the adventure continues and what an adventure it is. It definitely is exciting to read and makes us realize how good we have it here and how we take our quality of life for granted.
You're a good man to be able to face the hardships of the challenges in your road, and be able to summon the help of those around you help when you need it most. Only a good natured individual who can exude his qualities will invite this kind of help through his travels.
Keep the faith, Jeff, always nice to see the pictures of a smiling face enjoying R&R when you know how hard it was to get there.
Cheers
Anthony
Thanks so much Anthony, I believe without hardship there would be no way of knowing how happy or good we have it now, compared to if things were always to go right. I hope my travels can bring light to this and having a smile on your face no matter what, can make you achieve the impossible.

Jeff
Old 10-23-2013, 08:08 PM   #351
Super Tenere OP
Voyager

Day 111 112

Day 111

Venezuela has been a real disappointment, the roads, the scenery, the cost of food and the heat. San Cristobal has outrageous hotel prices for some reason, and it did take almost an hour and a half to find something for 420Bs with no extra charge for credit card use, that's still $70 for something less then half decent. The only thing Venezuela has going for it is the cost of gas, and that does not make up for the rest.
San Cristobal.

The Border crossing at Culcuta did take 3.5hrs but mostly due to the Aduana guy being on a 2hr lunch break. Getting out of Venezuela was easy, on the left side under the big archway is Migracion it is the first counter., you will need fill in a piece of paper and buy a exit stamp for 110Bs from an officer that sells them and he is usually hanging around the area.
Then ride your bike through the archway, and all the way till you get to the roundabout, go left on it so that you can get to the back entrance of this same building, there you will find Aduana hand in your temp permit and get your passport stamp cancelled.
Then cross the bridge and your in Colombia, go to first building on the right where you will find Migracion and then go to Aduana that is next to it, it is the building behind the scales.

Made my way into the mountains on Hwy 66, on my way up it started raining and the temps went to below 10c, my altimeter was showing just under 11500ft and man was I happy that there was a Hotel, it was somewhere between Pamplona and Bucaramanga.

Day 112

Got up with a splitting headache the room I had was right on the street and all night long the trucks would come and go plus stand there with the fumes coming right into the room, this place is a Hotel/Gas Station/Diner all in one and is the only place for miles around. After 2 aspiring and breakfast things started to look up, man is it beautiful out here, very cold but absolutely spectacular.

Most of the people wear clothing like you would see in the Andes (hats and woollen blankets). The landscape reminds me of that when going up north, a bit barren but yet very peaceful and pretty in it's on way. The roads are great and coming down the Mountain was a feast for sore eyes, wow what a view.

Made it to another small town and Hotel just before Barbose on Hwy 45a, this is about 245km's before Bogota, that I hope to reach tomorrow.

Jeff
Old 10-23-2013, 11:10 PM   #352
#1Fan
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 676
Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Tenere View Post
Hey #1Fan, just woman or do they have to be pretty as well.

Jeff
I thought all Brazilian women were pretty!

Sent from my SM-T210R using Tapatalk 4
Everyone should be so lucky as to be able to ride a motorbike through the Himalayas.
#1Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 07:02 AM   #353
Throttlemeister
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,570
You didn't spend enough time in Venezuela to have any fun Rule #1 Never use any credit/debit cards in Venezuela, always the black market with dollars and today's rate for decent amount of money exchange is nearly $1 : 45 Bs You could have gone to Angel Falls dirt cheap. At least you could have gone up in the VZ Andes to Merida, some really nice riding in that area. As you found out the roads near the border suck.

The Colombian town of Pamploma near the border is a nice Colombian college town with a great pizza place. PM if want some waypoints.

My bike awaits my return in Caracas one of these days for me of the free gas. Nice to hear you made it through the border, there has been some reports of people from US, Canada, and elsewhere being denied entry

Your 420Bs hotel in SanC would have been just $9.33 on the black market instead of $70. You got to use the system and then things really get good.
Old 10-25-2013, 04:36 AM   #354
Kedgi
Banned

Oddometer: 1,388
Got IN

Jeff

At least you can say you got into VZ.

I was with a group last year and we got turned away at the border because it was election day. Not sure what that had to do with us visiting, but they wouldn't let us in. I opted to skip VZ and rode south to Honda, Colombia and Cali.

I had passed through Honda on my way north from Bogata to Cartagena, The road between Honda and Medellin is out of this world.

If you go to Cali, Mike at Motolombia is an awesome guy, has a great hostal in a nice neighborhood and he has lots of motorcycle resources.

I'm in Hartford CT this morning on my way to Texas, Arizona and Mexico.

I am trying to keep my RR current, looks like you are having better luck with wifi in SA than I am in CT

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=929171

Kedgi
Kedgi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 05:55 AM   #355
Super Tenere OP
Voyager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Throttlemeister View Post
You didn't spend enough time in Venezuela to have any fun Rule #1 Never use any credit/debit cards in Venezuela, always the black market with dollars and today's rate for decent amount of money exchange is nearly $1 : 45 Bs You could have gone to Angel Falls dirt cheap. At least you could have gone up in the VZ Andes to Merida, some really nice riding in that area. As you found out the roads near the border suck.

The Colombian town of Pamploma near the border is a nice Colombian college town with a great pizza place. PM if want some waypoints.

My bike awaits my return in Caracas one of these days for me of the free gas. Nice to hear you made it through the border, there has been some reports of people from US, Canada, and elsewhere being denied entry

Your 420Bs hotel in SanC would have been just $9.33 on the black market instead of $70. You got to use the system and then things really get good.
Thanks Throttlemeister, it's good to hear from a pro that there are some other options out there, a little late for me but thanks just the same. Hope you make it back someday and continue your awesome journey.

Jeff
Old 10-25-2013, 05:59 AM   #356
Super Tenere OP
Voyager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kedgi View Post
Jeff

At least you can say you got into VZ.

I was with a group last year and we got turned away at the border because it was election day. Not sure what that had to do with us visiting, but they wouldn't let us in. I opted to skip VZ and rode south to Honda, Colombia and Cali.

I had passed through Honda on my way north from Bogata to Cartagena, The road between Honda and Medellin is out of this world.

If you go to Cali, Mike at Motolombia is an awesome guy, has a great hostal in a nice neighborhood and he has lots of motorcycle resources.

I'm in Hartford CT this morning on my way to Texas, Arizona and Mexico.

I am trying to keep my RR current, looks like you are having better luck with wifi in SA than I am in CT

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=929171

Kedgi
Thanks for the tips Kedgi, to bad you did not make it last year, but now I see your also on the move again and maybe this time.
Will catch up on your new RR, and have a good ride.

Jeff
Old 10-25-2013, 06:00 AM   #357
Super Tenere OP
Voyager

Day 113

Made it to Bogota and staying at the Angry Croc Hostel for 23 pesos and have the bike in secure parking for 7 pesos. The ride was verily uneventful, just beautiful scenery and some 10.000 ft passes, this made for some relatively cool riding all the way to Bogota that lies at 8.000ft.
Will get together with Marcos and his girlfriend later and see what he's up to.

Some more shots from yesterday.

Will change hotels and stay another day in Bogota before heading to Cali.

Jeff
Old 10-27-2013, 06:46 AM   #358
Super Tenere OP
Voyager

Day 114 115

Day 114

Changed to Hotel Madeleine and called Marcos to see what he was doing, and of course he was having lunch with his girlfriend and was doing some bike repairs that afternoon. He would see if he could come down later, I guess things did take longer because I did not hear back from him and I hope to see him down the road somewhere.
Did take in a rest day to catch up on my accounting situation and at day 100 I was still averaging $60 per day, so not bad and will see if I can bring it down in the next 50 days.

Day 115

Decided to head towards Cali today and did get lost in trying to find the road out of Bogota. My GPS has no map of this place because for some reason when I downloaded the free maps I guess I did not get it. Found my way completely to the wrong side of town instead of where I was suppose to go, so seeing some bikers chatting along the roadside I thought lets ask them. Luckily they were a friendly bunch and after all the usual questions they said they would take me to the highway where I need to be on. Had them lead me all the way across town and there I said goodby with many thanks, again this go's to show how friendly people and especially bikers can be, viva Colombia.

Beautiful scenery coming out of Bogota.

Made it to Cajamarca where I'm staying at Hotel Nevado for 30 pesos.

Jeff

Super Tenere screwed with this post 10-27-2013 at 06:28 PM
Super Tenere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 06:30 PM   #359
Super Tenere OP
Voyager

Day 116 10/27/13

Very nice ride over some mountain ranges going to Cali today, beautiful road and scenery. If it wasn't for all the trucks that you constantly have to get around it would have been perfect.

Lower part shows new super Hwy being built through the mountains, using very large viaducts and tunnels to smooth this out, a real undertaking and I'm amazed at how well the Colombian roads are maintained. Also check out the Pine trees on the hill, there growing towards each other on the upper slopes.

Checked in at the Casa Blanca Hostel, that is well known by most ADV riders for only 17 pesos or $10 US.
Will stay an extra day and check out Cali before heading towards Pasto.

Jeff
Old 10-29-2013, 09:38 PM   #360
Super Tenere OP
Voyager

Day 118 119 10/29/13

Day 118

Had a productive day in Cali, did meet Mike at Motolombia and was able to get a new/used Alaska leather sheep skin from him, my old one died on the road after getting soaked several times, it finally started to come apart, and only after some 40 years of use you would think it could have lasted longer.
Then to Asturias where I asked for differential oil, thinking I will change this myself, they offered to change this for me on the spot for 25 pesos, how could I resist. Had my right highway peg fixed for 40 pesos because I can not find them anywhere.
Did see some of the sites including this nice sculpture.

Did ride up to Cristo Rey and then followed some nice mountain roads.

Day 119

Made it to Pasto from Cali today through the mountains, to bad the weather was off and on rain all day.

Tomorrow heading to Ecuador.

Jeff

Super Tenere screwed with this post 10-30-2013 at 09:22 PM
Super Tenere is offline   Reply With Quote