User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-30-2013, 12:30 AM   #361
Golden_Cliff
Adventurer

Oddometer: 25
Super Terene

Thank you Jeff for the beautiful photos. How is your Super Terene, so far so good?

Be in good health and safe ride.

Regards,
Golden_Cliff
Golden_Cliff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 04:50 AM   #362
CourtRand
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 180
Jeff - we hope that you will stop by our shop to say hello in Quito - we will be happy to show you some great routes. Please send an email (not PM) if you need any help in the middle of the world...

+593(0)98-176-2340 http://FreedomBikeRental.com
court@freedombikerental.com
CourtRand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 05:46 AM   #363
Super Tenere OP
Voyager

Oddometer: 327
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden_Cliff View Post
Thank you Jeff for the beautiful photos. How is your Super Terene, so far so good?

Be in good health and safe ride.

Regards,
Golden_Cliff
Thanks Golden_Cliff, indeed so far so good and will leave it at that for now, don't want to tart fait.

Jeff
Old 10-30-2013, 05:48 AM   #364
Super Tenere OP
Voyager

Quote:
Originally Posted by CourtRand View Post
Jeff - we hope that you will stop by our shop to say hello in Quito - we will be happy to show you some great routes. Please send an email (not PM) if you need any help in the middle of the world...
Thanks CourtRand, will stop at the shop when I'm in Quito. See you then.

Jeff
Old 10-30-2013, 07:13 AM   #365
LumpyOne
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 288
Really looking forward to your ride through Ecuador. Thanks Jeff for keeping us updated and you are doing well. Safe travels and take lots of pictures. Almost time to put the bikes away here in WI so I am glad you are enjoying warm weather.
LumpyOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 07:38 PM   #366
DRRambler
AKA Albertastrom

Oddometer: 837
Great stuff Jeff!

Keep on giving me route ideas
DRRambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 09:15 PM   #367
Super Tenere OP
Voyager

Quote:
Originally Posted by LumpyOne View Post
Really looking forward to your ride through Ecuador. Thanks Jeff for keeping us updated and you are doing well. Safe travels and take lots of pictures. Almost time to put the bikes away here in WI so I am glad you are enjoying warm weather.
Thanks LumpyOne, the temp's are great here and if it's to hot you just find a mountain to cool of on, and will do on the pictures.

Jeff

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRRambler View Post
Great stuff Jeff!

Keep on giving me route ideas
Hey Dave glad to be of service, just doing what I like doing best (ride and discover) and if I see something interesting I will take the time to see it. Just never forget to take it all in and breathe, I know I am.

Jeff
Old 10-30-2013, 09:20 PM   #368
Super Tenere OP
Voyager

Day 120 10/30/13

Today's trip from Pasto to Quito Ecuador started great with sunshine and temp's in the mid thirty's, beautiful twisty roads through the mountains and valley

And where farming takes a hole new meaning/challenge on the slopes of the valley.

That's when the poring rain started just before the border and it did not stop until I was just outside of Quito; great it don't matter anymore I'm drenched. The scenery has changed a lot to a dryer look (less trees and more sand).

The border crossing did take 2 hours and was more a waiting game from the Aduana people than anything ells.
The Colombian exit is easy, park at the rear of the buildings and get your Passport stamped at the first building when you entered the complex and then head back to next building and get your Import paper canceled .
Then off to the Ecuador side, hear too you can park at the rear of the building. Get Passport stamped at the first building on the left and then get a copy of the stamp in your passport because you will need this, plus copy's of your passport, owners title, drivers license for the Aduana. Aduana is the last door on the left before making the curve towards the parking lot.

Currently staying at the Backpackers Hostel for $8.50 and will stay an extra day to discover this area.

Jeff
Old 10-31-2013, 06:42 AM   #369
Mr.Meaner
n00b

Oddometer: 8
weather back home

Hi Jeff,

Took the bike to work yesterday, the temp was just above freezing and it snowed all the way in. Only 1 good frost so far, the ground is not yet frozen so not an issue yet.

Safe travels and keep the updates coming!

Rick
Mr.Meaner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 09:01 PM   #370
Super Tenere OP
Voyager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Meaner View Post
Hi Jeff,

Took the bike to work yesterday, the temp was just above freezing and it snowed all the way in. Only 1 good frost so far, the ground is not yet frozen so not an issue yet.

Safe travels and keep the updates coming!

Rick
Thanks Rick, sounds like time to give it up or just head this way, hope you do get some nice weather thou.

Jeff
Old 10-31-2013, 09:03 PM   #371
Super Tenere OP
Voyager

Day 121 10/31/13

While exploring Quito today I realized that I had past the Equator yesterday in the rain, so I had to go back 25 km's to San Antonio and of course stand at the this extraordinary point on earth. I learned that there is no shadow at this point on March 21 and September 21 at 12:00 noon, and that's because the Sun is straight above you, and also that eggs will stand on there end .

Did meet-up with the guys Court and Sylvain from Freedom Bike Rental , if you want to fly to Ecuador and rent a bike then these are the guys to go and see. They replaced one of my front lights that was burnt out and where great in giving me some awesome tips on where to go next.
Tomorrow if the weather cooperates will take a ride up into the mountains.

Jeff
Old 11-01-2013, 02:51 AM   #372
Kedgi
Banned

Oddometer: 1,388
Gondola

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Tenere View Post
While exploring Quito today I realized that I had past the Equator yesterday in the rain, so I had to go back 25 km's to San Antonio and of course stand at the this extraordinary point on earth. I learned that there is no shadow at this point on March 21 and September 21 at 12:00 noon, and that's because the Sun is straight above you, and also that eggs will stand on there end .

Did meet-up with the guys Court and Sylvain from Freedom Bike Rental , if you want to fly to Ecuador and rent a bike then these are the guys to go and see. They replaced one of my front lights that was burnt out and where great in giving me some awesome tips on where to go next.
Tomorrow if the weather cooperates will take a ride up into the mountains.

Jeff
Jeff

When I was in Quito last year I took a ride on the Gondola they have there. It takes you up to 14500' and affords wonderful views of the city.

I stayed near Freedom bike rentals and a taxi to the Gondola was only 5 or 6 bucks and I think the ride itself was about $8.... Well worth doing!

Kedgi
Kedgi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 06:52 AM   #373
Super Tenere OP
Voyager

Day 122 123 11/2/13

Day 122

Had a great ride through some very twisty roads leading into the village of Mindo, this place is where you can go see a waterfall, go on a canopy tour or go see the Butterfly's, I decided to continue the off road portion leading back to Quito. After an hour of this road that is mostly gravel/dirt with one water crossing that the road was further up impassable or so I was told by a local farmer and his son that could speak some English. Did go back and headed out the other direction through more twisty roads all the way to Hwy 20 and back to Quito, did stop at 2 waterfall's and did take pictures only to find out later that my camera has died, and also the same for my action camera, back when I was at the Kuna Indians in Panama. Next big town I will have to look for a new/used camera that works, and until then I will have to use my phone.

Day 123

Left Quito and did take a side road that was suggested by Freedom Bike Rental. This road called Via Sigchos.

And starts just before the town of Tanicuchi and goes all the way to the Quilotoa Lake that is spectacular. Ecuador has some very divers landscapes from Amazonian Jungle to Outer Space Lunar, so extreme it is breathtaking around every corner, thank you so much Court and Sylvain for suggesting this.

From there I headed toward the village of Banos and fond out that all the Hostels were full because it is a national Holiday this weekend, so standing there on the side of the road at the last Hostel contemplating what to do next, comes along this guy looking at my bike and starts asking questions, turns out he is from Germany and now lives here, wanting to help me he calls a friend that just happens to own this place up on the side of Volcano Tungurahua called Finca Chamanapamba and they are willing to take me in if I can camp, because they too have all the rooms occupied. This place is build by Dietrich Heinke and is really something ells, it lies at the bottom of this huge waterfall, and is cut out of the jungle surrounding it. Set-up my hammock in there car port and had a good nights sleep; life is good.

Jeff
Old 11-03-2013, 02:19 PM   #374
CourtRand
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 180
Jeff - it was great meeting you and glad we could help with the headlight.

Looks like Ecuador is treating you right and those are great pics - even if its your phone. You might want to try finding a camera in Cuenca - its got a great amount of good shops both in the historic colonial center and in the Mall del Rio shopping mall.

We look forward to your updates...

+593(0)98-176-2340 http://FreedomBikeRental.com
court@freedombikerental.com
CourtRand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 05:44 PM   #375
Super Tenere OP
Voyager

Quote:
Originally Posted by CourtRand View Post
Jeff - it was great meeting you and glad we could help with the headlight.

Looks like Ecuador is treating you right and those are great pics - even if its your phone. You might want to try finding a camera in Cuenca - its got a great amount of good shops both in the historic colonial center and in the Mall del Rio shopping mall.

We look forward to your updates...
Thanks court, you guys are great. The route you gave me is awesome.
Did ride past Cuenca today but did not stop to look, I knew I should have but did not think they would have had something, maybe next time.

Jeff