Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-04-2013, 05:48 PM   #376
Super Tenere OP
Voyager

Oddometer: 327
Day 124-125 11/4/13

Day 124

Last night some friends of the family where I'm staying checked in and one is a musician by the name of Leo Mass, during dinner he started playing some beautiful songs with his guitar and harmonica, he explained that this was his gift to us setting around and enjoying it. I hope you can imagine how beautiful this was, just setting here in these very special surroundings with him playing. This morning we talked because he was curios about my trip and the purpose of it all (if you have read from the beginning you will understand the rest), as it turns out Leo and his wife Letty with there two daughters are in the middle of building a self sustainable community in the middle of nowhere. They also believe that the way for mankind to survive in the future lies in these types of communities, where you can be one with the environment.. And if you think what do they know, it just happens to be that Doctor Letty studied at McGill in Montreal and is the General Director of the Hospital here in Puyo. We did talk about Avatar and he said that they cried when Home Tree went down, the 7 levels of spiritual enlightenment, the meaning of there Circle of Life, the 82 billion points of the human sensory system and a lot more things. A truly amazing couple. Letty is a native Indian of this country and has learned that healing is not just medicine but that life and our well being lies deep within our souls (spirit), she is teaching others that in order to heal a truly good Doctor will also have to learn how to listen to our spirit. I have been invited to come back and see there work when it is done, and Leo also gave me as a token of our friendship his songs on DVD/CD and signed it as your Bro for life Leo Mass, I'm deeply touched by there generosity and can only wish them with all my hart the very best.
Finca Chamanapamba.

Did leave a little late today and drove down the Valley of the Waterfalls or so it is known, with El Diablo being the biggest of them all, and today being a Sunday it's a ants nest with people and I had to manoeuvre around a lot of trucks, buses and cars, so I decided to continue down the E30 to the E45 in Puyo, this goes through the Amazonian Jungle area which is very beautiful but not a hole lot to see other than the trees, then headed back towards Cuenca on the E40, this road is 99% done and is spectacular.

Of coarse getting out late made this another trip deep into the night, getting tired, cold, and hungry I finally fond a Hotel in a place called Guachapala for the night.
The Hotel Eclips has private rooms for $10, and down the road you can have a two piece chicken, fries, lettuce meal and a drink for $2; now that's a deal.

Day 125

Did drive through some beautiful areas to Machala today.

I'm staying in Hostel Puerto Ventura for $15 and is only 85 km's away from the border to Peru, I still have lots of things to see in Ecuador but that will have to wait until another day.

Jeff
Old 11-05-2013, 08:00 PM   #377
GT George
Adventurer

Oddometer: 79
Eh? Just missed you!

Hi Jeff,

I have really been enjoying your ride report. Looks like you're having the time of your life. Hey, your phone is taking great photos too, but I'm sure you're ready for a new camera. Keep 'em coming.

I was in Quito on Saturday, NOV 2nd, and just missed you. I was at Freedom Bike Rental talking with Court and he informed me that you had stopped by. I would have loved to hear about your journey first hand and swap some Tenere stories. Perhaps another day. What's your ETA to Ushuia? I hope to be there in FEB. Ride safe and enjoy the journey...road wise and soul wise.

George

Alpine Adventure - 8 Days, 5 Countries / MAY 2011
GT George is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 08:22 PM   #378
Blue Mule
Persistent Slacker

Oddometer: 1,643
Just found this report, have lots of catching up to do, at only 8 pages in, butas another Tenere owner, am wondering how the bikes doing so far? any issues? have you been watching the rear drive seal for leaks? what mileage?

GOOD LUCK and enjoy the trip!
Old 11-06-2013, 04:40 AM   #379
Super Tenere OP
Voyager

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT George View Post
Hi Jeff,

I have really been enjoying your ride report. Looks like you're having the time of your life. Hey, your phone is taking great photos too, but I'm sure you're ready for a new camera. Keep 'em coming.

I was in Quito on Saturday, NOV 2nd, and just missed you. I was at Freedom Bike Rental talking with Court and he informed me that you had stopped by. I would have loved to hear about your journey first hand and swap some Tenere stories. Perhaps another day. What's your ETA to Ushuia? I hope to be there in FEB. Ride safe and enjoy the journey...road wise and soul wise.

George
Hey George sorry I missed you in Quito, but maybe we can meet down the road somewhere. Planning to be in Ushuia around the beginning of January so that I have some time to get back to Buenos Airas. Ride safe.

Jeff
Old 11-06-2013, 04:47 AM   #380
Super Tenere OP
Voyager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Mule View Post
Just found this report, have lots of catching up to do, at only 8 pages in, butas another Tenere owner, am wondering how the bikes doing so far? any issues? have you been watching the rear drive seal for leaks? what mileage?

GOOD LUCK and enjoy the trip!
Thanks Blue Mule, have had the seal start to leak, but after replacing the oil it stopped, so far so good. Getting on average 47 miles to the gallon, and am very pleased with the Tenere.

Jeff
Old 11-06-2013, 04:50 AM   #381
Super Tenere OP
Voyager

Day 126 11/5/13

Made the crossing into Peru today and staying at the Hospedaja 12.49 in La Cruz for $20. The new border crossing at Huaguilles is very easy and did take an 1 hour to do. First about 8km before the border you will first come across the Aduana on the left and have them stamp out your bike Import paper, then ride across the border and there is a new complex that has both Ecuador and Peru Micration in the same office. The office is in the middle of the complex, so park there and you can walk back to Aduana and have them fill in your new Peru Import paper, they don't need to see the bike, but they will ask to see your Ecuador paper, no copy's were needed and no fees was asked.

The landscape changed dramatically from Ecuador to Peru and so did the roads and you can see that Peru's economy is suffering against that of Ecuador's, with gas price at $5.25 a gallon as to compared to the $2.00 a gallon in Ecuador it's no wonder. Sorry no pictures today there is not much to see.

Was planning the Chachapoyas - Tarapoto to Tingo Maria route but have been advised not to because of some unrest in that area, so will head down the coast to Trujillo and do the Huaraz to Lima route instead.

Jeff
Old 11-07-2013, 05:44 AM   #382
Super Tenere OP
Voyager

Day 127 11/6/13

The view this morning along the Peru coast.

Had breakfast in Mancora today and that is one hippie surfer town, I should have stayed there last night. Then drove through the hot desert, then oases, then cold desert, man this changes like a flick of a finger, and like I said not much to see.

Had very strong side/front winds the hole way to Guadalupe where I'm staying at Hotel El Bosque for $18.

Will make my way up into the mountains towards Huaraz and see how that is.

Jeff
Old 11-10-2013, 08:47 AM   #383
Super Tenere OP
Voyager

Day 128-130 11/09/13

Sorry for the long post but have been without internet for some days.

Day 128

Headed to Trujillo for breakfast and found this huge shopping Mall, so tried to find a Camera for around the 50 bucks or so, Radio Shack had one on the rack but not in stock, plenty over a 100 and more but that's not what I want to spend at this moment, so the phone will have to do for now.

From Trujillo you take Hwy 10 into the mountains and this road turns very fast into a twisty hairpin and switchback road as you go up to 8.500ft, they are working on this road but is 90% done and they will let motorcycles pass. The N3 turnoff to Santiago de Chuco is at a uphill split and this road is mostly hard packed dirt and gravel. The elevation will continue to rise to above the 13.600ft, and the views will become more amazing as if they were not already.

Stayed in Santiago de Chuco at the El Mirado Hostel for $12, and you will have to walk into town for dinner. This town does not have a single level street and is very much like you have stepped back into time, all the shops are in the old buildings and nothing has changed since the day it was built, all of this makes for a very interesting place to go see. This is such a difference than the sand swept roads along the coast lined with garbage and plastic bags as you approach another town, and is more like the Peru I want to see and experience.

Day 129

Had breakfast and left town, once on the other side leaving I soon fond out that the 2 lane road is now a three track, just watch out for the crazy buses coming around the corners because they will take the whole road , go slow and steady in the corners and no problem. By afternoon the road is a one lane and at some parts a real challenge, I did run into a detour that took me 3 hrs to get back too the other end of it, the scenery was amazing though so I won't complain.
Your uphill climb.

Your downhill on gravel as seen from the uphill side.

Day130

Stayed in Caraz at the JB Hostel for $8 and continued my trek on the N3 hoping I would make Huaraz
before nightfall, instead I must have made a wrong turn and came down the most insane paved downhill road ever, it will take you down over 8.000ft and an hour to do.
Google capture of it.

And as seen before going down the first section.

Once at the bottom you will travel through this beautiful canyon, but be warned there are 3 bridges to cross that only have two tracks on each side of the bridge and are made up out of 3 pieces of 3x6 inch lumber that are wired together at most spots, also choose your track wisely because one side may have some plank’s missing, this is not for the faint of hart because if you look down or miss a plank you will be royally screwed.
Lost ghost village in canyon.

The Canyon.

This road did take me back to the Panamericana Norte and 450km from Lima, so pedal to the metal and in 4 hrs I made Lima, staying in the Miraflores district at the Flying Dog Hostel for $12 and includes breakfast. To bad I did not make Huaraz because it is surrounded by the highest mountains of Peru, but I still have Bolivia to do so that should be equally interesting

Will stay in Lima for some R&R and take in the sights.

Jeff
Old 11-10-2013, 08:06 PM   #384
NomadicOne
Adventurer

Oddometer: 30
Hey Jeff, I just arrived in Lima today too. I dropped by Flying Dog Hostel this evening but you weren't there. Can we meet up tomorrow evening maybe for a drink and I can grab the headset off your helmet?
Old 11-11-2013, 12:26 PM   #385
ReadyFreddy
Adventurer

Oddometer: 16
Hey Jeff...
Man what a trip. Those switchbacks look scary but you're a great rider, so no worries there. How do you find the people of Peru?
Take care Jeff...Always thinking of you.
ReadyFreddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 05:29 PM   #386
brian2tall
Adventurer

Oddometer: 17
Glad to here you found something to see in peru,

Hello Jeff, I was beginning to get worried when you hadn't posted in a few days. I know internet will be harder to find in the mountains, but after seeing those pictures of the switch backs, wholly crap !! Please take care, we need you to come back and retell all your adventures This is truly an EPIC adventure. Are you planning to go to Machu Pichu?
brian2tall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 07:32 PM   #387
Super Tenere OP
Voyager

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReadyFreddy View Post
Hey Jeff...
Man what a trip. Those switchbacks look scary but you're a great rider, so no worries there. How do you find the people of Peru?
Take care Jeff...Always thinking of you.
Thanks Anthony, thinking of you I think that crazy dog of yours will feel at home here . All throughout central and south America the people have been wonderful and have helped me a lot when I try to get something across with my absolute terrible Spanish.

Jeff
Old 11-13-2013, 07:42 PM   #388
Super Tenere OP
Voyager

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian2tall View Post
Hello Jeff, I was beginning to get worried when you hadn't posted in a few days. I know internet will be harder to find in the mountains, but after seeing those pictures of the switch backs, wholly crap !! Please take care, we need you to come back and retell all your adventures This is truly an EPIC adventure. Are you planning to go to Machu Pichu?
Thanks Buddy, internet is none existing in most of the hostels out of the big city's and make for some catching up for sure. Some of these roads are absolutely amazing and have challenged me to the max, but I would not want to have it any other way. Machu Pichu is on my list now after hearing so many stories from other riders that all say you have to see it.

Jeff
Old 11-13-2013, 07:47 PM   #389
Super Tenere OP
Voyager

Day 130 11/10/13

Made it to Cusco with internet and will have to catch up on the post. Here are the first two days.

Day 131

Had a great rest day in Lima, did sit in the towns square for a while just watching the world go bye and just soaking it all in, the Sun, the People, the liveliness and enjoying a great cup of coffee, here is where all the people still hang out on most days and especially on a Sunday. Local artist show there wares, and it's feels so very European or I guess now South American, it also reminded me of way back in the days when I was a kid in Holland and hanging out with Opa and Oma; thank you so much for this feeling and the memories.

They have a Coliseum in the park where music is playing and it's filled with people dancing, just beautiful to watch.

Also did hangout with David and some of his friends, he is a rider from Ecuador and is making his way back from his trip from Argentina. He had some good riding suggestions and I will have to see if I can incorporate some of them.

Day 132

Today is Remembrance Day in Canada and USA and I did give thanks for all those that have fought and to those that are still fighting for our freedom. You will not be forgotten.

Did meet with Wei this morning, he made it to Lima yesterday and will spend a few days here and get a new front tire, then head to Cusco, and most likely I will run into him again down the road.

I made my way a bit late towards Cusco today, and will be taking Hwy 20 and then the 3S, this is a more scenic ride then the coast, but will take longer.
The first pass on Hwy 20 and the view at 4818 meters (16.000 ft) is amazing, cold but amazing.

The rest should be a very interesting ride and will take a few days before I reach Cusco.

Jeff

Super Tenere screwed with this post 11-14-2013 at 07:44 PM
Super Tenere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 03:52 AM   #390
grahamspc
Smitty

Oddometer: 143
Wow...trying to catch up on your posts...epic journey.
grahamspc is offline   Reply With Quote