Voyager

Oddometer: 326
Quote:
Originally Posted by #1Fan View Post
Thqnks for sharing your adventure!
The pleasure is all mine #1Fan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReadyFreddy View Post
Simply amazing, Jeff, I am very envious but I'm so happy for you being able to experience this journey. A dream come true and we get to see it through the eyes of a sensitive man able to drink up all the flavours of his surroundings...it's a beautiful story to watch unfold.
Thanks for sharing!
Thanks Anthony, I'm very happy to be able to share this and I have come to see things that others may have passed on, I believe that only through standing still and taking a deep breath while soaking it all in, can one see the beauty that surrounds us every day

Jeff
Old 11-18-2013, 05:17 PM   #407
Super Tenere OP
Voyager

Day 139 11/18/13

Had the excursion on Lake Titicaca and the floating Islands are the most interesting part of the tour, kind of strange when you walk on them, all soft and squishy like walking on a sponge. On Island Taquile you have to climb up 500 steps or take the ramp, I did the ramp and I can really feel my legs now especially after Machu Picchu and now this, then had lunch on the Island and it's a 3 hour trip back to Puno. The Lake is the largest in South America and is the worlds highest navigable lake because it sits at 3,811 m or 12,500 ft.
A composite sample of how the islands are built up, in real it's some 3 to 5 meters thick.

A boat made out of reeds.

One of the other floating island.

The view from Island Taquile, and you can see the Andes way in the distance.

Will be heading towards La Paz, Bolivia tomorrow.

Jeff
Old 11-18-2013, 07:00 PM   #408
BTL
Summer 2 short.

Oddometer: 383
Wow

Man am I glad I took the time to catch up. Excellent RR and I love the pictures. I just finished shovelling drive way for second time today, winter sucks.

I sincerely hope u continue to have an epic adventure and look forward to the next instalment of pics and great story telling.

All the best eh. Brian.
BTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 07:22 PM   #409
Super Tenere OP
Voyager

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTL View Post
Man am I glad I took the time to catch up. Excellent RR and I love the pictures. I just finished shovelling drive way for second time today, winter sucks.

I sincerely hope u continue to have an epic adventure and look forward to the next instalment of pics and great story telling.

All the best eh. Brian.
Thanks Brian, for coming along and really glad you like it.

Jeff
Old 11-19-2013, 07:25 PM   #410
Super Tenere OP
Voyager

Day 140 11/19/13

Made La Paz, Bolivia today, and staying at Hostel Maja for $15 with secure parking and breakfast included.
Went around the biggest part of Lake Titicaca and then over Copacabana, as for the last part you will need to take one of the wooden ferries to cross back to the mainland. Most ferries as we know them are rigid but these flex as they move through the water and is really cool, the ramps and deck are also wooden planks, so you really need to watch where you go.

The bike just the way it should be after 40,000 km's and never washed except for removing the crud after I did the Dempster.

The border crossing is super easy and only takes 45 min. In Peru both Migracion and Aduana are across from each other and you will first need to get a stamp on your migracion paper from the police station that is right beside it, then get the Migracion salida stamp in passport, and head over to Aduana, they will stamp your import paper. Cross border and on your left are both offices, fill in migration paper and hand it in, guy will stamp passport and hand back the bottom part of that paper, have a copy of your passport and bike registration for Aduana, he will fill in and hand you a new temp import permit; done.

Tomorrow heading to Coroico via the Death Road so cross your finger for me.

Jeff
Old 11-20-2013, 02:55 AM   #411
Kedgi
Banned

Oddometer: 1,388
Awesome

Awesome job on the report Jeff. Great Photos!

Kedgi
Kedgi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 06:24 AM   #412
TheRoss
IBA, BMWMOA

Oddometer: 307
Just found this RR this morning and read all the way through it.

WOW MAN! Hell of a ride you are on. Thanks for taking us with you. Stay safe!

2012 R1200GSA, 1985 K100RS, 1975 R90/6

TheRoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 08:01 PM   #413
#1Fan
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 667
Death Road? Good luck!
Originally Posted by Misery_Goat
Everyone should be so lucky as to be able to ride a motorbike through the Himalayas.
http://www.facebook.com/numberonefan
#1Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 07:04 PM   #414
Super Tenere OP
Voyager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kedgi View Post
Awesome job on the report Jeff. Great Photos!

Kedgi
Thanks Kedgi, did see that your home, so have a great holiday, and then get your ass back on the road .

Jeff
Old 11-21-2013, 07:07 PM   #415
Super Tenere OP
Voyager

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRoss View Post
Just found this RR this morning and read all the way through it.

WOW MAN! Hell of a ride you are on. Thanks for taking us with you. Stay safe!
Thanks TheRoss for coming along and glad you like it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by #1Fan View Post
Death Road? Good luck!
Good luck indeed #1Fan, read the next update and find out.

Jeff
Old 11-21-2013, 07:09 PM   #416
Super Tenere OP
Voyager

Day 141-142 11/21/13

Day 141

Made my way up through the Alto Plato and drove 2 km up the Death Road to find that they had closed it down, don't know what the Bolivian Guard was talking about, but I think landslide, so I decided to go back to Hwy 3 and Coroico, maybe I can get some more info. There also had been a large landslide on Hwy 3 and I had to wait half an hour for the road to reopen before continuing to Coroico. Fond lodging after searching for 1.5 hr in town to get something with secure parking, it's a run down place but for $3 I can't complain.
The view from Coroico.

Day 142

Found out that the DR road is open so made a early start, because it was dry and it's suppose to rain today.

Death Road starts off on cobble stones and later a very wide gravel and dirt road, so I was thinking this is to easy and when you think something like that it's out there and you know what happens, well let's just say the rain did come and not just a little bit, the tire tracks turned into rivers and the otherwise good to ride gravel and dirt was turning into crap. The road gets very narrow at spots and with oncoming traffic making it dangerous, it also has a couple rivers crossings and the overhanging cliffs give you a nice shower at some points (as if I needed more water).

After a while it started raining so hard I could not see and with the mist I was getting to the point of this is not worth it, all I need know is a crazy bus driver coming around a corner, but I knew if I went back I would forever wonder what the rest of the road was like and regret not finishing it, also all along the way I did noticed more and more crosses and plagues of remembrance to those that died on this road and it does make you think for a bit, that it's not for nothing called Death Road.

At one of the larger tombstones I paid homage to those that have passed on this road and I hoped that this would help in giving me save passage, luckily the rain did ease up a little and I did continued to finished the road and am very happy to have done it. Would I do it again? Definitely yes but not in the rain.
Super Tenere on Death Road Bolivia, you won't find many of these yet.

Made the ride back to La Paz and decided to make a dash towards Oruro, and staying in another $4 hostel with WiFi downstairs. Tomorrow Potosi or Sucre will have to do some research first.

Jeff

Super Tenere screwed with this post 04-05-2014 at 08:55 AM
Super Tenere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 03:04 AM   #417
Kedgi
Banned

Oddometer: 1,388
Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Tenere View Post
Thanks Kedgi, did see that your home, so have a great holiday, and then get your ass back on the road .

Jeff

Will do!

Jeff

Thought you might enjoy a little news from Canada's, far East

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/newfou...land-1.2436218

Good thing winter is still a month away.

Kedgi
Kedgi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 01:44 PM   #418
Arte
Stuck in the 80's

Oddometer: 1,500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Tenere View Post
Day 75

Day 76

Nice sunny day with temps in the high 20' c and another beautiful twisty road through the mountains towards Palenque, had to wait 4 hours for a road block that was setup for the protest for school reform, this was a total drag standing there in the hot sun and with all the towns people coming at us and asking all the usual questions of course, at the end had to pay a donation (10 pesos) for there cause and off we went.

Tomorrow heading towards Chetumal.

Jeff
30 days later after you, we had to pay as well 10 pesos at the same spot - after passing OCOSINGO, although we did passed the three mile long of cars and got to the front,

The teachers blocking the road, immediately did throw a large 2x4 full of nails so we could not run away before make the donation

Awesome adventure of yours

" If you compare yourself with others, you may become vain and bitter; for always there will be greater and lesser persons than yourself " - Max Ehrmann
Chiapas Ride 2013
Arte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 03:17 AM   #419
Super Tenere OP
Voyager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arte View Post
30 days later after you, we had to pay as well 10 pesos at the same spot - after passing OCOSINGO, although we did passed the three mile long of cars and got to the front,

The teachers blocking the road, immediately did throw a large 2x4 full of nails so we could not run away before make the donation

Awesome adventure of yours
Thanks Arte for coming along, hope the rest of your ride is as painless and have fun.

Jeff
Old 11-24-2013, 03:22 AM   #420
Super Tenere OP
Voyager

Day 143-144 11/23/13

Day 143

Did ride most of the day in the rain from Oruro to Potosi, the Panamericana 1 takes you through some great landscape.

Also reminded me a lot on driving through Utah with all the red colours.

Day144

Bolivia is great except for when it's buying gas, they have a policy against tourist when it comes to this, you have to pay double the regular price, because it's subsidized for there own.
I know even at double the price it's still only $1.00 per ltr. ($3.60 gal) and very reasonable, but hey I don't think they should be treating tourist any different then there own.
When I was in Coroico the guy at the pump did not care and just filled it up and I paid what was showing, and then in Oruro I thought I will do the same, after he had filled it I told him that I was only going to pay what was showing on the pump (70Bs), but this guy said no, so I just stood there pointing at the pump price, after awhile he started getting frustrated, because he wanted 140Bs I then showed him 80Bs and said “listen if you don't take the 80 now it will be arrivederci” and I started the bike, he did take the 80 and waved goodbye.
Just before Potosi I started stopping at gas stations, and they said they had no gas, I'm not sure but I think they just did not want to do the paper work, so finally in Potosi they would sell but against double the regular price and he would not start pumping until he had the money first, so I did leave and this morning I went down to the pump with my 1.5 gal spare tank, made sure my bike was out of site and had them fill this twice, wow the things you have to do save a few bucks.

Today I made it to Uyuni and also visited the Pulacayo train graveyard on the way, it was not what I had expected after reading that a lot tour groups head here for this, I fond it interesting but overrated, there's also a mine here but your not allowed in.

Will head out over the Salt flats to Tupiza tomorrow instead of the Salar one because this is currently flooded, OK for the high 4x4 tourist trucks, but not recommended for motorcycles.

Jeff