Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-22-2013, 11:25 AM   #511
Tripper-CMC
Adventurer

Oddometer: 13
Don't forget to get a pic of your speedometer to capture your mileage just for the record....
Tripper-CMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 03:19 PM   #512
Super Tenere OP
Voyager

Oddometer: 327
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripper-CMC View Post
Don't forget to get a pic of your speedometer to capture your mileage just for the record....
Thanks Greg, won't forget, have one already, but will like to have the one from when it's on the crate. Won't be long now.

Jeff
Old 12-23-2013, 03:22 PM   #513
Super Tenere OP
Voyager

Day 172-173 12/23/13

Day 172

Lazy Sunday walking the markets that go on forever, taking coffee, beer, ice cream breaks and having a juicy steak dinner, man this is hard, Buenos Aires is just so very European, can't believe I'm not walking some streets back in Amsterdam or Paris.
Forgot to put my SD memory card in the camera, so it gave me only one shot on internal, so here it is, will get more, next time.

Day 173

Headed to Navicon and found out that they will only work with Sandra from DakarMotors when it comes to Motorcycles, because Sandra gives them all the work, they want you to go to them first.
Apparently they have a mutual agreement and they would not bend from this, so headed to DakarMotors and paid $100 for there involvement to arrange with Navicon when the bike could be dropped off. With all the Holidays and Aduana only working short hours I have to wait till Friday before my bike will be packaged and customs cleared. Then on Monday they will let me know how much the shipping will cost and I will need to pay this at Navicon, anyway welcome to the merry-go-round.
Was able to book a flight for myself on December 31, New Years Eve to Toronto, leaving 8 am to Bogota and then to Toronto arriving 9:40 pm, this will be the Champagne flight I guess .

Have another week to hang around here and see all the sites, just don't know how much of this I can take.

Jeff in BA
Old 12-23-2013, 08:16 PM   #514
Super Dave Hawaii
Ain't Dead Yet!

Oddometer: 229
Aloha Jeff,
Hang in there, you"ll be home soon. Merry Christmas and enjoy your time in BA.

Dave
Old 12-24-2013, 09:14 AM   #515
sophijo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 233
Stuck!

....someone's gotta do it!
sophijo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 12:47 PM   #516
Super Tenere OP
Voyager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Dave Hawaii View Post
Aloha Jeff,
Hang in there, you"ll be home soon. Merry Christmas and enjoy your time in BA.

Dave
Thanks Dave, Aloha and Merry Christmas, will join a small Christmas party at the Hostel tomorrow for some cheer, and will make the most of it while I can.

Jeff

Quote:
Originally Posted by sophijo View Post
....someone's gotta do it!
Thanks sophijo, and have a Merry Christmas from BA.

Jeff
Old 12-25-2013, 04:22 PM   #517
1andonlyretroman
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Burrrrrrrr

Hey Jeff Merry Christmas From Rockland!
Don't be in too big a rush as the two and a half feet of snow here will certainly cool your spirits. Its supposed to warm up overnight from todays high of minus 18 to a balmy minus 9 with snow tomorrow. New years on a plane could prove interesting, I've never done that! Looking forward to hearing some of your tales first hand, I showed some of your videos to the boys and Nathan who just got a new cam for Christmas was impressed! Enjoy Christmas in the heat while we freeze! See you soon Stephen
1andonlyretroman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2013, 08:11 PM   #518
Scootard
Twist-n-Go

Oddometer: 235
Merry Christmas

Jeff:
Your report has been an inspiration. I hope your Christmas was as merry as could be and the coming New Year is Happy, healthy and prosperous..
Old 12-26-2013, 08:40 AM   #519
Super Tenere OP
Voyager

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1andonlyretroman View Post
Hey Jeff Merry Christmas From Rockland!
Don't be in too big a rush as the two and a half feet of snow here will certainly cool your spirits. Its supposed to warm up overnight from todays high of minus 18 to a balmy minus 9 with snow tomorrow. New years on a plane could prove interesting, I've never done that! Looking forward to hearing some of your tales first hand, I showed some of your videos to the boys and Nathan who just got a new cam for Christmas was impressed! Enjoy Christmas in the heat while we freeze! See you soon Stephen
Thanks Steve, It's 37c and no air-conditioning, would not mind a couple feet of snow right now to cool things down.
Buenos Aires shuts down for Christmas but does not really celebrate it, nothing is open and no Christmas spirit at all and then this heat. Yesterdays Christmas dinner was a bust with only 3 people signing up it turned into a no show, and with nothing open I found myself at a McD of all places celebrating with 2 others. this one is for the books.

See you soon.

Jeff
Old 12-26-2013, 08:47 AM   #520
Super Tenere OP
Voyager

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scootard View Post
Jeff:
Your report has been an inspiration. I hope your Christmas was as merry as could be and the coming New Year is Happy, healthy and prosperous..
Thanks you Scootard, really glad you like it, I can't stress enough how amazing a trip like this is for your soul, and seeing how beautiful these countries are and the peoples that you meet.

Jeff
Old 12-27-2013, 01:45 PM   #521
Super Tenere OP
Voyager

Day 174-177 12/27/13

Day 174 to 176

Buenos Aires did close all museums and shops for the Dec 24 and 25 Christmas Holidays, they don't celebrate this at all, this made for long hours talking with other travellers here at the hostel, 2 Girls from Australia were robbed a few days earlier (Tiffany and Lucy) and they were still a bit dazed from there experience. Lucy had lost her purse that had everything in it so she needed to go to the Embassy for en emergency Passport, luckily she was able to get one and did turn this experience into a positive one as to not have everything in one place, we also talked about our travels and they were amazed with mine, and I was glad to be able to share with them what I have gone through and experienced.

Day 177

Finally was able to head down to the airport and get the biked wrapped for shipping, after waiting for 3 hours with another couple from Germany we were called to the cargo hall, where our bikes were weighed and then put onto a skid that they had made for us.

Did not have much time before customs would close so we had to hurry, I decided not to remove the front wheel for time sake and I just hope that this will not be to costly in the end.
Final dashboard km picture.

The ride was 51,833 km's or 32,395 miles and did take me through 17 country's during 170 days and the tires have 29,996 km's (18,747 mi) on them and are still in one piece with zero flats (go Mitas).

More later

Jeff

Super Tenere screwed with this post 01-05-2014 at 11:47 AM
Super Tenere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 07:09 PM   #522
#1Fan
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 682

Congrats, Jeff! I hewrd there were some fish attacks on a beach where you are, so stay away from there! I bet you are ready to be home. Happy for you, and thank you again for sharing your adventures with us!
Everyone should be so lucky as to be able to ride a motorbike through the Himalayas.
#1Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 08:35 AM   #523
Super Tenere OP
Voyager

Quote:
Originally Posted by #1Fan View Post

Congrats, Jeff! I hewrd there were some fish attacks on a beach where you are, so stay away from there! I bet you are ready to be home. Happy for you, and thank you again for sharing your adventures with us!
Thanks #1Fan, no swimming for sure , will be happy to get back home with all my family and friends. Very happy to be able to share this ride with such a large community of like minded people that love riding or just love adventure and it was truly my pleasure.

Jeff
Old 12-29-2013, 08:39 AM   #524
Super Tenere OP
Voyager

Revue

Revue of things used during my ride.

Riding gear:
  1. Shark Evoline 2 helmet, is a bit noisy and not light but has served well for this ride.
  2. Tour Master transition 2 jacket, was an older jacket that has worked very well, I did have to spray with tent spray several times for water resistance, and has good cooling options.
  3. Rev-It Cheyenne pants, not water resistant without the liner, but has served well, even in the hot weather.
  4. Triumph Tri-Tex boots, did dry-up and started cracking while crossing the prairies, they never got over it, no matter how much crap I put on them, and was no longer water proof after.
  5. Tour Master Dri-Mesh gloves, really works good.
  6. Old long leather gloves, has served for over 40 years and are still my most used pair of gloves and are indispensable.
  7. Light leather jacket, for going out and can be worn under riding jacket.
  8. Icebreaker under garments, had two sets and are the best I ever have had.
  9. Long sleeve base gear that can be worn over the under garments or just on it own (layering).
  10. Rain gear, Hogg Toggs was easy to pull on over everything and could be used as wind break.
  11. 2 T-shirts.
  12. 1 Long sleeve woollen sweater.
  13. Hiking boots.
  14. Sandals.
  15. 2 pair merino wool socks.
  16. Jeans.
  17. Short pants.
  18. Swim pants.
  19. Polo shirt,
  20. First aid kit, this is the essential list for me.

The hammock with mosquito netting was by far the best sleeping I have ever done, and a light tarp to cover in the event of rain was great
Camping gear was mostly used in Canada and USA and only once in Ecuador, the cost of lodging in Central and South America did not warrant the use anymore, and I ended up giving most of it away in Panama City.

The Yamaha, Super Tenere, abused, dropped, slammed, covered in muck and it keeps on going, what can I say, it will need a good cleaning, some overdue maintenance done, and I will get a new differential seal installed just for good measure, truly a super bike.
The Mitas E-70 Dakar tires that I had put on in San Diego, California made it all the way to the finish and now have 29,996 km's on them, and are tops in my books.
The Givi crash-bars and pannier brackets have lived through all of this with just some slight damage.
The Pelican Cases have taken a beating and are still watertight.
The Heated grips are by far the best extra thing you can have on this type of ride, was able to ride with just the summer gloves on through freezing cold conditions, what a comfort to have.
Along with some basic tools, spare rear break pads that I used in San Diego and a set of spark plugs that I did not use, was everything that I did bring along.

Hope this helps some of you riders out there, and if you have questions please ask.

Jeff
Old 12-29-2013, 06:36 PM   #525
Super Tenere OP
Voyager

Day178-179 12/29/13

Day 178

Walked to some of the Museums and Monasteries today but just could not get very excited about any of them, the heat outside and even inside these places is sucking the life out of everything, did buy 2 ltr's of water and your still thirsty. Buenos Aires is having it's worst heat wave ever and no end in sight.
The famous Obelisk on 9 de Julio and Corrientes.

Day 179

Did go back to the markets and just wandered around with water bottles at hand, it's 40c and sat down at every opportunity I could get.

Can't get much sleep with temps inside around 38c, all you can do is sweat and drink more. Here is a link to a local paper about the heat: http://www.buenosairesherald.com/art...-buenos-aires-

One of the old colonial houses with just a little bit a of graffiti on it.

More later

Jeff