User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-18-2013, 09:33 AM   #106
LumpyOne
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 288
In!

Thanks for taking us along! Love these Ak to Tierra reports and looking to see how that beautiful bike does. Been eyeing one of these for a year now.

Stay safe!

Tim
LumpyOne is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 10:30 AM   #107
Jbone11 11
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 601
Ride of a lifetime brother! Great to see a fellow Canadian and Ottawa inmate get out there in the world. I'll be following your progress. Stay safe and have a blast!

John
2003 Honda Hornet 600 (SOLD)
1969 BSA Royal Star - Let the Resurrection Begin!
Jbone11 11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 06:33 PM   #108
ReadyFreddy
Adventurer

Oddometer: 16
Congrats Jeff

Hey Jeff..I am envious...your story and ride pictures give me chills...I'm excited for you and concerned at the same time!! WOW!! what an experience of a lifetime...You are truly a man of conviction... Bravo and enjoy this experience safely, My Friend...
Cheers
ReadyFreddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 09:05 AM   #109
brian2tall
Adventurer

Oddometer: 17
finally on board, wishing I was along for the ride

Jeff, way to go. Happy to see you made your first objective (Inuvik). Are you planning any riding on Vancouver Island? I have a good friend in Nanimo. Keep your eyes up and the rubber down. brian2tall
brian2tall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 06:04 PM   #110
Super Tenere OP
Voyager

Oddometer: 327
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Bird View Post
Congratulations on making this a reality. You chose the right bike (but mine looks better). Great pictures and a great story.

Good luck on your trip.

Doug
(of CMC Doug & Judy)
Thanks Doug, for coming along and you probably wondered why I was asking and now you know, although that looks better would only be if you did the Dempster

Jeff
Super Tenere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 06:12 PM   #111
Super Tenere OP
Voyager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripper-CMC View Post
Congratulations Jeff!

You finally did the Demster and made it to the most northerly city in Canada!!! Well done my friend!

I am so glad to see you have reached the first milestone of your trip safely and I know it came with a lot of white knuckles, cussing and sounds like some truly nasty days along the way. Your pics are frigin' amazing and I look forward to more on the second leg of your ride down to Tierra Del Fuego as well.

Now you get to go south to warmer weather (and hopefully fewer bugs) with more places to stop to recharge! Remember to take time for you along the way, It's all about the journey and not the destination that makes an amazing ride.

Greg
Thanks Greg I intend to go a little slower.

Jeff
Old 07-19-2013, 06:18 PM   #112
Super Tenere OP
Voyager

Quote:
Originally Posted by LumpyOne View Post
Thanks for taking us along! Love these Ak to Tierra reports and looking to see how that beautiful bike does. Been eyeing one of these for a year now.

Stay safe!

Tim
Thanks Tim, will post how the bike is doing along the way.

Jeff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbone11 11 View Post
Ride of a lifetime brother! Great to see a fellow Canadian and Ottawa inmate get out there in the world. I'll be following your progress. Stay safe and have a blast!

John
Hey John, another Ottawa guy that's great.

Jeff
Old 07-19-2013, 06:30 PM   #113
Super Tenere OP
Voyager

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReadyFreddy View Post
Hey Jeff..I am envious...your story and ride pictures give me chills...I'm excited for you and concerned at the same time!! WOW!! what an experience of a lifetime...You are truly a man of conviction... Bravo and enjoy this experience safely, My Friend...
Cheers
Thanks Anthony riding is the easy part, getting proper nourishment is harder, and a challenge, but when you look at how beautiful these place is the challenge is well worth it.

Jeff

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian2tall View Post
Jeff, way to go. Happy to see you made your first objective (Inuvik). Are you planning any riding on Vancouver Island? I have a good friend in Nanimo. Keep your eyes up and the rubber down. brian2tall
Hey Buddy thanks for coming along, they tell me that the Island is a place I have to see, so I will.

Jeff
Old 07-19-2013, 06:35 PM   #114
Super Tenere OP
Voyager

Day 16 17

Dawson City is a real gem in the rough, 1898 Klondike Gold Rush era with wooden sidewalks and all, with plenty to do and see, makes this a town not to pass by, including if you want a taste of the SourToe cocktail that I skipped, not my cup of tea.

Did take the Ferry over the Yukon River toward The Top of the World Hwy into Alaska, this road runs along the crown of the mountain range and the views are stunning.

Going to Chicken Alaska you see lots of people along the riverbanks still panning for Gold. I stopped at one outfit that was verily large with some equipment for sale with the signs saying make an offer, walking up I see two guys, brothers by the looks Darrel and Darrel I think and ask if they are making a good living, just barely says one and that was it, I try some other small talk but these guys are not the talkative kind. In Chicken they have lots of old cars and machinery standing around and I just needed to take a shot of this old mean looking truck

Along the way from Tok to Whitehorse I see this white car stopping in the middle of the road, the doors opening up with lots of white smoke coming out, this did not look good so I pulled over to stop, an elderly couple (Al and Marlene from Ontario) come dazed and bewildered out of the car, as I look closer oil is spilling out from under the car and all the air bags are deployed, seeing this I call for there attention to get the car off to the side of the road, we are just past a curve in the middle of the road and oncoming traffic won't be able to stop in time, Al gets back in and moves the car, while I flag some oncoming cars to stop, Al must have dozed off and hit the side of the curve popping his right side tire off the rim and hitting something making a hole in the oil pan, I ask both pulled over cars if the have any phone connection and none have, we are in the middle of nowhere, one guy says he would be able to drop one of them off in Tok so they can get in touch with the rental company (I'm sure they will be happy), Marlene and Al both thanked me and off I went.
Making my day a little longer then expected I camped at Discovery Yukon Lodging and meeting some more other interesting people, but I won't bore you with that, it's time to ride and Whitehorse here I come.

Morning view of the Yukon.

Made it to Whitehorse and finally have a Internet connection, so here it comes for now.

Jeff

Super Tenere screwed with this post 07-20-2013 at 08:37 AM
Old 07-19-2013, 07:00 PM   #115
Icy Roads
Adventurer

Oddometer: 57
Doing good as you go.

We had a bitch of a ride to Chicken snow and freezing rain combined with heavy fog. The weather turned nice(ish) when we got to Chicken and the ride out was fairly decent. Chicken is a funky little place we really liked the place. As a group we stopped twice to help motorists with tire problems. These simple acts of kindness go a long way to changing biker stereo types and the public image of riders. Nice work!

Icy Roads screwed with this post 07-19-2013 at 07:06 PM
Icy Roads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 07:04 PM   #116
JoeyBones
Encouraging Entropy

Oddometer: 1,349
One State left to ride: Hawaii. IBA #48773.
Check out my Motorcycle Courier Adventures or the Charlotte Ride Planning & 3rd Thursday Pizza-Meet

"I picked up a nice burlap thong. It makes me feel pretty." - BluRidgeRider
JoeyBones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 07:44 PM   #117
DirtyBiker
Roads are to explore

Oddometer: 366
Very jealous

Eager to read more. Plan on Tierra Del Fuego trip in 2015
DirtyBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 01:04 AM   #118
daveburton
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 163
Great memory

Great pictures dirtybiker. I made the same trip in 2012. Great ride, traveled through south america since and that was excellent as well.

Reading this makes me want to get on the road again.

thanks dave
daveburton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 08:40 AM   #119
Super Tenere OP
Voyager

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyBones View Post
Good to have you along JoeyBones.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyBiker View Post
Eager to read more. Plan on Tierra Del Fuego trip in 2015
DirtyBiker I hope this trip can help you on yours.

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveburton View Post
Great pictures dirtybiker. I made the same trip in 2012. Great ride, traveled through south america since and that was excellent as well.

Reading this makes me want to get on the road again.

thanks dave
Thanks for coming along daveburton.

Jeff
Old 07-20-2013, 08:45 AM   #120
Super Tenere OP
Voyager

Day 17+

Made it to Hi Country RV/Camping just outside of Whitehorse and have a good Internet connection, time for a upload and off to Dease Lake and will attempt the Telegraph Creek road again.

One of the things I wanted to share and was not able to upload is a video that I made of the old steam Paddle Wheel in Dawson, the echo's that were coming back from the old steam horn gave me goose bumps and reminded me of a era long past. This is what makes this trip so worth doing and I hope you can enjoy this too.

http://youtu.be/703WAfTh5-A

Jeff