Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-21-2013, 03:25 AM   #121
Mr.Meaner
n00b

Oddometer: 8
Chicken etc

Hi Jeff,
On our adventure to Alaska in 09 we too took the Dempster highway, but only as far as the Arctic Circle. We were on street tires (and pulling trailers) and the additional 300 odd kms to Inuvik didn't 'need' to be travelled. I would have been disappointed with the Yukon without the Dempster run. As for the Top of the World highway, nothing short of spectacular! I recall the last part before Chicken as being the worst 30 miles of gravel road I have had the pleasure of riding on. Our travelling companions took a tumble off their Electra Glide and a broken ankle ended their ride just south of Dease Lake. You just never know what lies ahead!
Take care and ride safe,
Rick
Mr.Meaner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 08:28 PM   #122
brian2tall
Adventurer

Oddometer: 17
vancouver island.

Jeff. Let me know if you will need a place to stay while on the island. My good friend lives in Nanimo. On an other note it happens that his brother used to be the city manager of Dawson about 6-8 years ago. There could be some good stories to be told. Hope this finds you safe & dry someplace in BC
brian2tall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 09:47 PM   #123
Super Tenere OP
Voyager

Oddometer: 327
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy Roads View Post
We had a bitch of a ride to Chicken snow and freezing rain combined with heavy fog. The weather turned nice(ish) when we got to Chicken and the ride out was fairly decent. Chicken is a funky little place we really liked the place. As a group we stopped twice to help motorists with tire problems. These simple acts of kindness go a long way to changing biker stereo types and the public image of riders. Nice work!
Your absolute right Icy Roads, bikers in general have a bad rap and some good will goes a long way, thanks for making us (bikers) look good.

Jeff
Super Tenere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 09:51 PM   #124
Super Tenere OP
Voyager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Meaner View Post
Hi Jeff,
On our adventure to Alaska in 09 we too took the Dempster highway, but only as far as the Arctic Circle. We were on street tires (and pulling trailers) and the additional 300 odd kms to Inuvik didn't 'need' to be travelled. I would have been disappointed with the Yukon without the Dempster run. As for the Top of the World highway, nothing short of spectacular! I recall the last part before Chicken as being the worst 30 miles of gravel road I have had the pleasure of riding on. Our travelling companions took a tumble off their Electra Glide and a broken ankle ended their ride just south of Dease Lake. You just never know what lies ahead!
Take care and ride safe,
Rick
Thanks Rick, to bad about your friend like you said you never know, lets hope I have some luck on my side.

Jeff
Old 07-21-2013, 09:59 PM   #125
Super Tenere OP
Voyager

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian2tall View Post
Jeff. Let me know if you will need a place to stay while on the island. My good friend lives in Nanimo. On an other note it happens that his brother used to be the city manager of Dawson about 6-8 years ago. There could be some good stories to be told. Hope this finds you safe & dry someplace in BC
Hey Brian I have a safe place for tonight, the dry part not so much, showers off and on. I do want to go to the Island so ask your friend if it would be OK and PM me back, funny that his brother was Dawsons City manager.

Jeff
Old 07-21-2013, 10:02 PM   #126
Super Tenere OP
Voyager

Day 18 19

On my way to Dease Lake it did rain most of the day, so decide to stop at Watson Lake and see the park of signs and wow this is humungous, spent about half an hour looking but you would need a couple of hours to get through. Camped at the Lake View Camping with no showers or facilities plus bad Internet made for early to bed.

Was up early and did go 150 km down Telegraph Creek Road, beyond the scoop of being very scenic at spots it is a very twisty hard packed road of Gravel and Sand with just enough loose Sand to make this a real challenge, throw in some 20% grades on Sand and Gravel plus a single lane death portion, makes this road a good one to do.

Still being early I decided to head towards Stewart and see the Salmon Glacier and camp at the towns Rainey Camping.

Tomorrow heading back to Prince George and then to Vancouver and the Island.

Jeff
Old 07-22-2013, 09:30 PM   #127
Super Tenere OP
Voyager

Day 20

Had perfect riding weather today and this made me enjoy the Stewart Cassiar Hwy even more, the grandeur of the surroundings and the smell of the Purple Harts along the Hwy together with sweet Clover is intoxicating and uplifting, a spiritual sense of awareness and content if you will.

Made it to Prince George and staying with inmate GISdood, it's always good when you can come back to someplace where you have been before. Tomorrow will see if I should do some maintenance now or wait till I get to Vancouver, last oil change was some 16 thousand km's ago and luckily I always use Amsoil so no problem.

Jeff
Old 07-23-2013, 02:33 PM   #128
GY1616
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 131
Any noteworthy wear-and-tear on your gear or bike that we can see photos of? Have you jettisoned anything that you started off with, but decided you didn't need?
GY1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 06:56 PM   #129
daveburton
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 172
Oil Change

How often do you change the oil.

16,000 km is way over the recommended oil change.

I did 9,000 miles (14,400 km) on mobile 1 synthetic and had the oil analysed. Result was good but getting tired with some water and combustion residue in it.

I realise this is not an oil thread and don't want to start a protracted discussion but it's worth a comment as it's one of the issues we all face when travelling long distances.

dave
daveburton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 01:35 PM   #130
Super Tenere OP
Voyager

Quote:
Originally Posted by GY1616 View Post
Any noteworthy wear-and-tear on your gear or bike that we can see photos of? Have you jettisoned anything that you started off with, but decided you didn't need?
Nothing yet GY1616, to early to throw stuff away, there is always that nagging feeling of what if I should need this later.

Jeff

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveburton View Post
How often do you change the oil.

16,000 km is way over the recommended oil change.

I did 9,000 miles (14,400 km) on mobile 1 synthetic and had the oil analysed. Result was good but getting tired with some water and combustion residue in it.

I realise this is not an oil thread and don't want to start a protracted discussion but it's worth a comment as it's one of the issues we all face when travelling long distances.

dave
Hi Dave your right when it comes to changing oil on time, but I have seen some engines that have run in a short time well over 200 thousand km on the same oil and only filters were changed with an oil top off. what I'm trying to say is when you ride a lot of km's in a short time don't worry about it.

Jeff
Old 07-24-2013, 01:40 PM   #131
Super Tenere OP
Voyager

Day 21 22

Day 21

Had a great nights rest thanks to GISdood's hospitality, and thanks once again Kelly. Early morning started to look for the oil that I wanted and after several shops I could not find any so I had to go with the Kawasaki synthetic instead, will see how that goes, checked several other things on the bike and all is good.

Did leave around noon on a route that GISdood had given me, it goes along the Blackwater Rd/Trail for some change of pace and scenery, it sure has that and a relief from the super highways, but just one word of caution when taking this road it has a 40 km section in the middle that is verily narrow and for the logging trucks that drive this road at the speed of light and don't give shit, it's move over or be like a bug on the windshield, I moved over needles to say only problem is that you end up off the road for some real fun or hart pounding moments.

Made it to 100 Mile House and stayed at the towns camping for $10.

Day 22

Did drive the first part of the Sea to Air Highway 99 to Whistler and that is one beautiful stretch of highway with lots of super scenery, twisties and switchbacks, I would say a must do. Did make some video and will have to see how that turned out.
Tonight I will stay at the camping here and check this funky town out.

Tomorrow head off to the ferry and make it to the Island I hope.

Jeff
Old 07-26-2013, 09:58 AM   #132
Super Tenere OP
Voyager

Day 23

Whistler is a very cool place to visit with lots of things to do and see, a bit pricy also and to much for my blood, checked out the local camping and at $55 decided to head back to town for a look around and then take off further for a better deal, checked out the state camping grounds around and only finding them full I finally fond a camping called Paradise some 45 min away for $30, BC is not cheap.

Early morning headed toward Horseshoe Bay for the ferry ride to Nanaimo, the ferry cost $41 in total and takes an hour and a half to cross.

Called Steve and Wendy for a stay over arranged by my buddy Brian as they are his good friends, this was an absolute nice getaway from the camping’s and a warm welcome was had, some great food and some good riding tips on where to go next was discussed so tomorrow I will head off to Victoria taking a more scenic road along the West Coast. Thank you so very much Steve and Wendy for your spontaneous hospitality, it was greatly appreciated.

Jeff
Old 07-27-2013, 09:05 AM   #133
Super Tenere OP
Voyager

Day 24

Came across the Island over Highway 18 towards Port Renfrew and then West Coast Highway on to Victoria, this road is great being an old logging route made into Highway it twists and turns the whole way and has lots of beautiful scenery.

No pictures very slow internet.

Victoria's Butchart gardens are amazing and the town is thriving with tourist looking around and or going for the Whale watching tours. I did notice on the way in to Victoria that the State Park Camping's were full and I would have to look elsewhere, so I asked at the Information booth in town and also fond out that you can go from Victoria to Port Angeles, Washington with the ferry for $38, my feet sore from all the walking around a nice ferry ride sounded pretty good at this point and I could just make the last ferry going for the day, well shiver me timbers mates IMIN. Made it to Port Angeles and it is dark with no idea where to go I ask at the gas station for camping places and ended up at Camping Elwha Dam for $21.

Tomorrow down Highway 101 towards Portland, Oregon and then make my way towards Mountain Home Idaho for a visit with my sister.

Jeff

Super Tenere screwed with this post 07-27-2013 at 09:30 AM
Old 07-29-2013, 08:51 AM   #134
Super Tenere OP
Voyager

Day 25 26

Very scenic Highway 101 takes you through a section of the Olympic Rain Forest and hugs the Pacific Coast while winding it's way down South, looking for interesting things to see I came across this sign saying Biggest Duncan Cedar Tree so I had to go and look, a 4 mile gravel road takes you to this old tree and it was a beauty at the time only now to have very little life left in it, it stands as a testament of time and things long past, not wanting to take the same road back my GPS was showing that is was shorter going the other way and so I ended going back on a 15 mile country road to the 101, thank you GPS.

On my way earlier that day I had contacted inmate XB12R for a spot to camp and so while I was at a MacD to confirm I also started talking with Mark Kraft another V-Strom rider that was out for a weekend getaway, having confirmation of the spot I offered Mark if he needed to camp he was welcome to come along and share, Mark liked that idea and offered a place to stay at his place in Pasco, WA because he was heading home anyway. Thank you XB12R for the spot this was great along the Columbian River.

Day 26

On Sunday Mark took the lead and showed me some of the most beautiful roads that you can ride along Mt St Helens and Mt Adams, a long 12 hr day but well worth it, arrived in Pasco with a place to sleep it doesn’t get any better than this. Thank you Mark for showing this beautiful side of the country and for your generous hospitality you are a true gentleman of the West.

Tomorrow make my way to my Sister in Mountain Home, ID

Super Tenere screwed with this post 07-29-2013 at 11:44 AM
Old 07-29-2013, 09:13 AM   #135
brian2tall
Adventurer

Oddometer: 17
awesome pics

Just when I was starting to think you were rushing your trip you go and take time to stop and see some very interesting sights. Thanks again for sharing your adventures and keep those RRs coming.
brian2tall is offline   Reply With Quote