User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-26-2013, 07:22 PM   #1
kellymac530 OP
motorcycle addict

Oddometer: 1,052
Turn signal cancel ???

My bmw RT has a separate cancel button to turn off the TS. There is a left TS switch which is a momentary power and a right switch that is momentary. Once powered the signal stays on as long as you do not hit cancel. To turn off the blinkers you hit a 3rd button that cancels both sides.

I am going to use a more standard DS style switch but that switch has constant on/off TS. You manually flip it left for left turn, center for off and right for right turn....I know duh right.

How can I use the stock flasher unit {trying to keep as many things OE as possible} while not using the cancel button?

I feel like I should be able to just jump something accross the cancel input or something?
Old 06-26-2013, 07:35 PM   #2
kellymac530 OP
motorcycle addict

After playing with the switch for a bit, I think the cancel just grounds the flasher to turn it off....maybe.

If that is true then I should be able to ground the cancel prong on the flasher unit permanently and it should still flash when I have the full power to it through my new switch...maybe...no?
Old 06-27-2013, 04:57 PM   #3
kellymac530 OP
motorcycle addict

To the mod who moved this...wrong!!!
This is ABSOLUTELY an SAR thread since it is on a BMW RT that is cut in half and being turned into a dual sport bike and ONLY guys on SAR would really understand what I am trying to do here blending a BMW electrical system into DS controls....as you can see from ALL of the replies here.

As to anyone who might understand what I am trying to do...I figured it out. You have to connect the cancel button wires directly to the center input wire on the DS switch and then the left TS wire to left switch wire and so on with the right wires...done, I have my flashing and my stock hazard switch still works....phew what a PITA electrical can be for a moron like me.
Old 06-27-2013, 07:58 PM   #4
duck
Banned

Oddometer: 10,403
The left, right and cancel buttons all trigger the stock flasher relay with a momentary ground. If you want to have a "normal" turn signal switch then you'll need to replace the stock flasher relay.
duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 11:43 PM   #5
kellymac530 OP
motorcycle addict

They are working fine the way I have them set up now. Flasher works all 4 and the new switch operates left and right with a normal flash speed.

I permanently grounded the cancel and put permanent power to the flasher through the switch and the flasher causes the interuption...what is wrong with it?
It is working right now, what is it that will not work and why?
Old 06-27-2013, 11:59 PM   #6
duck
Banned

Oddometer: 10,403
Quote:
Originally Posted by kellymac530 View Post
They are working fine the way I have them set up now. Flasher works all 4 and the new switch operates left and right with a normal flash speed.

I permanently grounded the cancel and put permanent power to the flasher through the switch and the flasher causes the interuption...what is wrong with it?
It is working right now, what is it that will not work and why?
Hadn't thought of perma-grounding the cancel but , from what I know of BMW flasher relays, that sounds like a good idea and if that's working then it sounds like a viable solution to me.
duck is offline   Reply With Quote