ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Day Trippin'
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 06-26-2013, 08:10 PM   #1
CalGS OP
Adventurer
 
CalGS's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2013
Location: Southern California
Oddometer: 49
Took it to the dirt (California)

So, I went out on my first mini adventure last weekend. I rode from Corona, California, up on the ridge line just west of the 15 freeway, down south to Ortega Highway, above Lake Elsinore. About 30 miles of dirt jeep trail.
Very fun ride, but I did learn a few things. Street tires + climbing a trail of loose rocks (with a passenger!) = I need crash bars and knobby tires! 2 minor tip overs resulting in scratches on the cylinder head covers (and a bigger scratches on my elbow). No big deal, just a few adventuring scars.
Here's a few pictures:


Climbing Bedford Motorway Trail


The trail between Orange County and Riverside County


The scene of the first minor tip over. Picture doesn't do it justice, those rocks were LOOSE!


Getting up there pretty high on this one!


Nice shady spot for a break.


The weather was HOT (about 95 degrees F)!


One of the canyons leading west (notice scratches on the cover...boo hoo).


Getting closer to Lake Elsinore...


Panorama of the trail.


And back to the pavement for a ride down the mountain to our lunch spot.


My newly modified elbow...

All in all it was great trip! Sorry the pictures aren't fantastic but I was just using my phone.
Anyway, all I have to say is...I love my new bike! Can't wait to get my crash bars and some knobby tires!
CalGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 10:35 PM   #2
/dev/null
Gnarly Adventurer
 
/dev/null's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2011
Location: Southern California, USA
Oddometer: 173
Nice to see it being used even with dealer plates!

Don't forget to air down a bit for that. I took my '11 up the other side (from OC, Maple Springs) and made the idiotic mistake of running 36/42. Too much loose gravel on top of the road, next time I'll try 25/25 and maybe actually enjoy it.
__________________
11 R1200GS TB, 09 FZ1
/dev/null is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 02:38 AM   #3
RichBMW
Beastly Adventurer
 
RichBMW's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2012
Location: Surrey, UK
Oddometer: 1,791
Nice pictures. Sorry about the drops. Other than the cylinder heads, did any other parts of the bike get damaged?
__________________
2015 BMW S1000R Sport
2015 BMW R1200GSAW (on order)
RichBMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 08:43 AM   #4
thomasacto
i straddle stuff
 
thomasacto's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2013
Location: Northern California
Oddometer: 9
Perhaps invest in one of these... like wearing a t-shirt with decent armor:

__________________
haaaaay.
thomasacto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 09:18 AM   #5
150ron
Beastly Adventurer
 
150ron's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2012
Location: Valencia, ca
Oddometer: 1,189
That is one bad ass bike, great pics.
__________________
Just some dude...
150ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 04:53 PM   #6
Socal996
Adventurer
 
Joined: Jul 2011
Oddometer: 31
Looks like fun, would you mind telling me how to get to the trail? I'm always looking for dirt. Thanks
Socal996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 07:41 PM   #7
CalGS OP
Adventurer
 
CalGS's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2013
Location: Southern California
Oddometer: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by /dev/null View Post
Nice to see it being used even with dealer plates!

Don't forget to air down a bit for that. I took my '11 up the other side (from OC, Maple Springs) and made the idiotic mistake of running 36/42. Too much loose gravel on top of the road, next time I'll try 25/25 and maybe actually enjoy it.
Well that makes two of us!
I left the tires pretty full since I was riding with a passenger on back!
OH well!
CalGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 07:42 PM   #8
CalGS OP
Adventurer
 
CalGS's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2013
Location: Southern California
Oddometer: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichBMW View Post
Nice pictures. Sorry about the drops. Other than the cylinder heads, did any other parts of the bike get damaged?
Nope! Not a scratch anywhere else. I couldn't believe it. I thoroughly checked it out after I washed it and I couldn't find a nick on any other piece!
Thank Goodness!
CalGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 07:46 PM   #9
CalGS OP
Adventurer
 
CalGS's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2013
Location: Southern California
Oddometer: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by Socal996 View Post
Looks like fun, would you mind telling me how to get to the trail? I'm always looking for dirt. Thanks
There are a few trails up to Main-Divide road (the ridge trail). From the Corona side there's Bedford Canyon (the one I took), which is off the Weirick/Dos Lagos exit (15 freeway). There's one on the Indian Truck Trail exit as well. And of course if you're south of Corona there's a way up off of Ortega Highway in Lake Elsinore.

Search Cleveland National Forest trails and you'll find them.
CalGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 07:41 AM   #10
DRfURYOS
Moto Vlogger
 
DRfURYOS's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2012
Location: Canada
Oddometer: 12
It's always good to see someone with a big BMW not afraid to leave the paved road.
__________________
DRfURYOS on YouTube
DRfURYOS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 07:47 AM   #11
flyrodder
Donny, please.
 
flyrodder's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2006
Location: Southern Bohemian Alps
Oddometer: 2,958
Well done. I'd get valve cover guards as well -- one good puncture in the valve cover would create a mess.

Don't hesitate to take air out -- just have a way of putting it back in when you are back on pavement. I've run as low as 20 on both with Heidis two up without any problem.
__________________
"It's sorta like a combination of camping in your Grandma's back yard, and a Frat party. " --fifthcircle
flyrodder is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 03:01 PM   #12
Socal996
Adventurer
 
Joined: Jul 2011
Oddometer: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by CalGS View Post
There are a few trails up to Main-Divide road (the ridge trail). From the Corona side there's Bedford Canyon (the one I took), which is off the Weirick/Dos Lagos exit (15 freeway). There's one on the Indian Truck Trail exit as well. And of course if you're south of Corona there's a way up off of Ortega Highway in Lake Elsinore.

Search Cleveland National Forest trails and you'll find them.
Thanks for the info, may try it this weekend at the risk of heat exhaustion. Cheers
Socal996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 06:02 PM   #13
Matt
Dirt Virgin
 
Matt's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2007
Location: Newtown,Sydney
Oddometer: 1,833
Quote:
Originally Posted by CalGS View Post

My newly modified elbow...

All in all it was great trip! Sorry the pictures aren't fantastic but I was just using my phone.
Anyway, all I have to say is...I love my new bike! Can't wait to get my crash bars and some knobby tires!
You've already got crash bars.

Raining here for the last week - makes me very jealous.
__________________
"A girl riding a motorcycle?...................What is this, the Twilight Zone??"




Why do people think bike riders all like rock'n'roll??
Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 06:15 PM   #14
CalGS OP
Adventurer
 
CalGS's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2013
Location: Southern California
Oddometer: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by Socal996 View Post
Thanks for the info, may try it this weekend at the risk of heat exhaustion. Cheers
Also the gate at the North end (Skyline trail) is closed so Bedford is the farthest north gate that's open.
CalGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 11:06 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014