Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-27-2013, 08:04 AM   #1
Sniper X OP
De Oppresso Liber

Oddometer: 33,300
Having trouble platin g that "For off road use only" dirt bike?

THIS IS FOR THOSE WHO LIVE IN STATE WHERE PLATING A DIRT BIKE IS NIGH ON IMPOSSIBLE!

Well, there might be a solution. I hang out on the Supermoto forum and a guy posted this over there and it looks intriguing!

Whats up, having trouble titling an off road bike buddy!

Here is what you need to do:

Anyone and everyone can register a bike in South Dakota. Off road bikes and quads, they dont care, so long as it HAS a title or MSO.

You need to send them a bill of sale and your MSO or title, proof of insurance, a check for the correct amount, etc.

They will send you back a South Dakota title, plate, all that good stuff.

Once you have that, its a simple matter of having it transferred over to your state at your local DMV. Or not. Their plates look super cool with Mt. Rushmore on them.

You can call the Rapid City SD Treasurer's office with any questions. The lady I talked to was SUPER nice and helpful. Their number is: (605) 394-2163

You're welcome!

Sniper X screwed with this post 06-28-2013 at 03:34 PM
Sniper X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 08:28 AM   #2
SkiBumBrian
DualSport Crazy !!

Oddometer: 1,042
Wish it was that easy in CA, it's not. Every out of state bike has its VIN # ran and if it does not come up as a street legal bike from the factory it is a no go. Do not pass go, do not collect 200 dollars.....
Old 06-27-2013, 08:51 AM   #3
Sniper X OP
De Oppresso Liber

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiBumBrian View Post
Wish it was that easy in CA, it's not. Every out of state bike has its VIN # ran and if it does not come up as a street legal bike from the factory it is a no go. Do not pass go, do not collect 200 dollars.....
You slightly missed a hidden point. There is really no reason to plate it in a state that doesn't allow that. You leave it plated in South Dakota, and keep renewing it every two years. IF you get a citation or get pulled over for some reason, you can tell the officer you just got it shipped to the state you live in now, and they usually never pesue any further action. I drove a car I brought with me to Cali when I moved back there for the two years it was registered in New Mexico, they never said anything when I got pulled over as long as I had my current license plate, and proof of insurance and the registration from the license plate. Sure theyr MAY be a problem if you get a cop who "figures it out" but if I interpret the current cali laws, you CAN bring a bike into the state plated even if that magical number is on the vin, IF it has enough miles on it. I think that magical number of miles is like 7500 or something.
Old 06-27-2013, 09:01 AM   #4
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Oddometer: 4,279

If you get stopped with an out of state plate in CA you get a 15 day fix-it ticket to transfer the registration per CA vehicle code. Since you cannot legally do that you get stuck in one hell of a conundrum.

OTOH you might get away with it for years. Plenty do.

There's no magic to this. Every few weeks someone starts a new thread about it.
Old 06-27-2013, 09:07 AM   #5
Sniper X OP
De Oppresso Liber

I'll also add this as a bit of coaching from someone who has now plated three dirt bikes. NEVER VOLUNTEER INFORMATION at the DMV! PLAY DUMB! Go there with the attitude that what you are there for is perfectly legitimate, and also do some investigative work before hand. Like look at the online DMV site in your state to see if they have something usually called specially built or home built vehicle documentation. If they do, you can use that form to prove you have the necessary equipment needed for a plate. here in NM it is form DMV10053, and shows what you need for a home built, trailer, motorcycle, car, or boat. I talked to a DMV manager, and she said if that form is submitted with the vehicle, they CAN'T deny it if everything is conformed to on that form. So essentially, you can plate a 1972 Maico 501 here in NM. This is how they plate those monstrosities that OCC builds.
Old 06-27-2013, 09:08 AM   #6
Sniper X OP
De Oppresso Liber

Quote:
Originally Posted by browneye View Post

If you get stopped with an out of state plate in CA you get a 15 day fix-it ticket to transfer the registration per CA vehicle code. Since you cannot legally do that you get stuck in one hell of a conundrum.

i have been looking for amonth and have yet to see it so I'll just keep it going. Many ask and it isn't a stickie so we can figure it out on our own.
Old 06-28-2013, 01:06 PM   #7
Motomochila
Mechanically Inept

Oddometer: 743
Anything is possible with enough money. My buddy bought a CA "plated" CRF 450X. Now most of you know that's near impossible hence all the KTM's we traded our Honda's in for. $700.00 in add on junk including a keyed ignition. Like I said, anything's possible with enough money, even in the land of fruit loops and nuts...
Old 06-28-2013, 01:26 PM   #8
Ever Onward
Time Killer

Oddometer: 613
Hmmmmmm,

I see a flaw in the plan.

Whats the first thing a officer asks for when he pulls you over ?......"License and registration please"

Well, your license says you live in state "whatever" and your registration says south dakota.

That usually gets them pissed right away, and now you got some Splaynin to do Lucy !

Im sure the cop will look at the date you got your drivers license, vs the date on your bike registration and conclude your are up to some sort of scam.
Ever Onward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 01:41 PM   #9
sellmeyer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 410
Quote:
Originally Posted by Low Budget View Post
Hmmmmmm,

Whats the first thing a officer asks for when he pulls you over ?......"License and registration please"

Well, your license says you live in state "whatever" and your registration says south dakota.

That usually gets them pissed right away, and now you got some Splaynin to do Lucy !

Im sure the cop will look at the date you got your drivers license, vs the date on your bike registration and conclude your are up to some sort of scam.

To my knowlege there is nothing illegal about operating a properly licensed motor vehicle from one US state in another US state, regardless of which state issued the operator a driver's license. This usually is related to a person who owns property in two states but is licensed and a permanent resident of only one state. In this case the individual can license any vehicle in either state and operate it in any state.

My local county clerk charges quite a bit for registration on new vehicles; it is quite common to see quite a few out of state plates on vehicles that live here full time. This occurs because the owners are chasing either lower registration fees or less restrictive vehicle registration policies-such as those relating to smog. This practice is not illegal even though it might rub local authorities the wrong way.

If an individual in the land of fruit and nuts is riding a properly licensed dirt bike with South Dakota plates then said individual may not be cited for a vehicle registration issue because there isn't one. End of story, no?
sellmeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 01:59 PM   #10
Sniper X OP
De Oppresso Liber

Quote:
Hmmmmmm,

Nope, there is NO law that says you can OWN a motyorcycle in one state, and operate in a different state. I am pretty sure the officer can't question you about having dual residence either. There is no law against that either. how do you think rich people who have 5 or 6 houses in different states or even different countries do this when they drive state to state in their car registered at their summer house?
Old 06-28-2013, 02:05 PM   #11
Gregster
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 959
Quote:

Could you be a little more condescending? I don't think you got your point across.
Gregster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 02:14 PM   #12
Sniper X OP
De Oppresso Liber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregster View Post
Could you be a little more condescending? I don't think you got your point across.
I will say I searched here, thumpertalk, supermotojunkie and a few other sites and NEVER saw anything like the thing I posted till I posted it!
Old 06-28-2013, 03:03 PM   #13
Ever Onward
Time Killer

Oddometer: 613
For the most part, your supposed to have your drivers license from your "Primary residence" if you have multiple residencys.

If you simply get that south dakota plate and registration and dont have actual residency in south dakota, your gonna have a serious hassle in some cases.

Trust me, I have seen this personally first hand in situations just like this.....especially if the state is tight on not allowing "off road" bikes to be titled and plated in that state legally.

Im just givin a friendly heads up.........been there, seen that, and it didnt end pretty.......guys got fined for illeagle operation, bikes titles got invalidated, and all they had left was a expensive dirt bike with lights.
Ever Onward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 03:21 PM   #14
Sniper X OP
De Oppresso Liber

Quote:
For the most part, your supposed to have your drivers license from your "Primary residence" if you have multiple residencys.

If you simply get that south dakota plate and registration and dont have actual residency in south dakota, your gonna have a serious hassle in some cases.

Trust me, I have seen this personally first hand in situations just like this.....especially if the state is tight on not allowing "off road" bikes to be titled and plated in that state legally.

Im just givin a friendly heads up.........been there, seen that, and it didnt end pretty.......guys got fined for illeagle operation, bikes titles got invalidated, and all they had left was a expensive dirt bike with lights.

I highly doubt any officer is going to notice you are riding a plated dirt bike. If you have all the necessary equipment, and the bike has a legitimate plate, he has no legal reason to hassle you. I feel you are giving most police officers way too much credit in their power of both knowing it is a dirt bike, or caring as long as it has the legal stuff on it. What state is it that plated dirt bikes are illegal? None of the 48 contiguous that I know of.
Old 06-28-2013, 03:23 PM   #15
Sniper X OP
De Oppresso Liber

Quote:

BTW I not only moved here from Monterey Cali, I had a plated dirt bike there. I also know many who still do. None of them get hassled nor does the cop ever say a thing about it being a plated dirt bike there. Did they recall the plates at some point that I don't know about? No.