Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-28-2013, 03:31 PM   #16
Ever Onward
Time Killer

Oddometer: 615
What do I know ? Simply pointing out, been there, seen that.

Go ahead give it a shot, dont say I didnt warn yall.
Ever Onward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 03:32 PM   #17
Sniper X OP
De Oppresso Liber

Oddometer: 33,300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Low Budget View Post
What do I know ? Simply pointing out, been there, seen that.

Go ahead give it a shot, dont say I didnt warn yall.
I plated my XR400R the day I got it. (a week ago) I am not trying anything other than riding a plated dirt bike. This thread is for those who live in Nazi states where they have a hard time plating them as a last resort.
Old 06-28-2013, 03:36 PM   #18
Sniper X OP
De Oppresso Liber

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiBumBrian View Post
Wish it was that easy in CA, it's not. Every out of state bike has its VIN # ran and if it does not come up as a street legal bike from the factory it is a no go. Do not pass go, do not collect 200 dollars.....
BTW, the guy I got this info from lives in Cali, and rides his XR650R every day. Has been for over two years. So I guess it does work in California.
Old 06-28-2013, 03:55 PM   #19
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Oddometer: 4,316
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregster View Post
Could you be a little more condescending? I don't think you got your point across.

Pardon me since this thread falls under national and not regional - my apologies. The west threads have dozens of threads on this topic, it gets brought up at least every couple of months. Check the PNW threads as well, they have just as much trouble.

In CALI we have many appointed all powerful nanny-state organizations, like the Coastal Commmission, and the California Air Resources Board. This latter prohibits the licensing for hiway any motorcycle that doesn't apply for, pay about $35,000 for, and successfully receive a CARB approval for legal hiway use. If a bike is not on their list it doesn't get a plate. Period.

You can fanagle all manner of ways to get a plate, but legally if it's not on the CARB list it can't be done. This gets hashed over and over and over again. That said there are LOTS of illegal plates in this state. And dealers have been busted for charging a fee and getting them through DMV by having someone they know that works there. The DMV clerk gets fired and the dealer guy goes to jail or gets fined the crap out of him. Remember Boyd Coddington? Google him - got caught up with this same thing by licensing those hotrods he built for sale. Surely you've all heard of Boyd custom wheels.

The comments about legally being able to have licensed vehicles from another state is just plain wrong. The comment about 'primary residence' and being able to prove that, and having your vehicles licensed in the state of that primary residence is correct.

Yes, you may get away with an out of state plate for a LONG time, maybe indefinitely. But if you get stopped, and if they sniff into your situation, you will get a corrrection ticket to transfer your state of licensing. LOTS of bikes in CALI with out of state plates. Just attend the 2-strock Extravaganza every year here in so-Cal and you'll see plates from everywhere because most of them, unless they were legally plated here in the first place, or because they are so old they got them way back when, cannot be legally plated here.

If any of you are having trouble with ADVrider crappy search engine, use Google instead, with this syntax:
site:advrider.com search word
Enter your topic of search in place of 'search word' and you'll find lots of thread listings of your search subject.

Trying to plate dirtbikes in CALI has been discussed adnauseum.
Old 06-28-2013, 04:04 PM   #20
Ever Onward
Time Killer

Thank you Browneye !

Im not tryin to poop on the plated dirt bike party, just tellin what I have seen happen.

Believe me, with all the grey market bikes my friends and I have owned and all our 2 stroke bikes both dirt and grey street types, I sadly am all too familiar with the legalitys of several states plateing issues.

Like said, you may get away with it indefinately..........key word is MAY.
Old 06-28-2013, 05:53 PM   #21
Murf2
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 787
If a person did this, what would the insurance situation be? Is the insurance company going to give you collision, liability insurance on a bike that isn't "legal" to be ridden on the street? Would they weasel out if you hit a kid on a bicycle on the way to the trails?

Murf
Murf2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 07:52 PM   #22
Ever Onward
Time Killer

The insurance company would just be one of several problems in a scenario like that.

Wait till the bicycle kids parents hire a slick lawyer that will dig into the matter and discover the non road legal vehical, and the fact of falseified state of registration.......it goes on and on.

Its a big can of worms that gets deeper the more you look.

I understand a bike that has been upgraded and modified so as to make it as road compliant as one that has the sticker that proclaims "complies to all USA road requirements" should be able to be inspected at a state facility and then be granted a waiver that allows it to be titled and plated there.

I also assume that could get very costly, if even possible.

It would be nice if it worked that way, but in some states that simply isnt a option.
Old 06-28-2013, 08:02 PM   #23
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Oddometer: 4,316
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murf2 View Post
If a person did this, what would the insurance situation be? Is the insurance company going to give you collision, liability insurance on a bike that isn't "legal" to be ridden on the street? Would they weasel out if you hit a kid on a bicycle on the way to the trails?

Murf
This is why I wouldn't 'give' my KTM 250 to my sister in Phoenix to plate there and then be on permanent 'loan' to me here in so-Cal. She could get liability there, put me on as named insured, but what happens if I hit some kid and the coverage maxes out and they come after the 'insured'? That would be my sister. My wife thought I was out of my mind - she was like, "Are you f'ing kidding me? Just get a legally plated bike dumbass." Hmmm...so I bought a new TE630.

Since you can plate a goddam red wagon or roller skates in AZ, there are also insurers that will write liability for a bike and rider for about $100 a year. Not sure what it might be like to collect on though if you were living in CA, a CA drivers license and riding it there, and had an accident claim.

All of this stuff just turns into a giant can of worms. Some people don't care, but some have way too many responsibilities, liabilities, jobs, kids, etc. I carry million dollar coverage - too much to lose.

I even went so far as to create a fake EPA sticker to get a bike passed through vin inspection at DMV or CHP. Gee, you get caught doing that it's a felony. I'm not gonna do time for illegally plating a motorcycle. In addition, when you forge shit over state lines it then can also change from misdemeanor and be prosecuted as a felony.

Good luck guys.
Old 06-28-2013, 08:11 PM   #24
James Adams
Not a Texan

Oddometer: 8,247
What about creating a company domiciled in SD that owns your bike(s)?

James Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 09:09 PM   #25
Sniper X OP
De Oppresso Liber

Quote:

Murf
I have full coverage on my XR400R.
Old 06-29-2013, 05:06 AM   #26
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 17,447
Quote:
Originally Posted by sellmeyer View Post
To my knowlege there is nothing illegal about operating a properly licensed motor vehicle from one US state in another US state, regardless of which state issued the operator a driver's license. This usually is related to a person who owns property in two states but is licensed and a permanent resident of only one state. In this case the individual can license any vehicle in either state and operate it in any state.

My local county clerk charges quite a bit for registration on new vehicles; it is quite common to see quite a few out of state plates on vehicles that live here full time. This occurs because the owners are chasing either lower registration fees or less restrictive vehicle registration policies-such as those relating to smog. This practice is not illegal even though it might rub local authorities the wrong way.

If an individual in the land of fruit and nuts is riding a properly licensed dirt bike with South Dakota plates then said individual may not be cited for a vehicle registration issue because there isn't one. End of story, no?
that is correct.

plenty of 2nd home owners in Colorado have Colorado plated cars and drivers licenses from other states. these people are known to be living at their second homes for less than 1/2 the year and the local cop is seeing a local tag however.

if pulled over, you could argue you also live in SD too (but choose to have a drivers licenses in this current state that i live in part time too) and this bike is just with me for now. easier to do in a big town. much harder in a small town where everyone knows you.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Labor Day Sale: $10/map (6-10 maps) + free case
http://www.butlermaps.com/6for60

eakins screwed with this post 06-29-2013 at 05:22 AM
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 05:14 AM   #27
eakins
Butler Maps

Quote:

Murf
most go for liability only on a dirtbike just to be legal.

i plated my xr400 in colorado.
called up Dairyland Insurance and said xr400.
women said i don't see it in my list so she created a listing for it.
price quoted was for a 400cc engine bike. no issues & i had insurance.
and guess what it was $100 just like almost any other bike with liability only.
Old 06-29-2013, 05:19 AM   #28
eakins
Butler Maps

Quote:
Originally Posted by browneye View Post
This is why I wouldn't 'give' my KTM 250 to my sister in Phoenix to plate there and then be on permanent 'loan' to me here in so-Cal. She could get liability there, put me on as named insured, but what happens if I hit some kid and the coverage maxes out and they come after the 'insured'? That would be my sister. My wife thought I was out of my mind - she was like, "Are you f'ing kidding me? Just get a legally plated bike dumbass." Hmmm...so I bought a new TE630.

Since you can plate a goddam red wagon or roller skates in AZ, there are also insurers that will write liability for a bike and rider for about $100 a year. Not sure what it might be like to collect on though if you were living in CA, a CA drivers license and riding it there, and had an accident claim.

All of this stuff just turns into a giant can of worms. Some people don't care, but some have way too many responsibilities, liabilities, jobs, kids, etc. I carry million dollar coverage - too much to lose.

I even went so far as to create a fake EPA sticker to get a bike passed through vin inspection at DMV or CHP. Gee, you get caught doing that it's a felony. I'm not gonna do time for illegally plating a motorcycle. In addition, when you forge shit over state lines it then can also change from misdemeanor and be prosecuted as a felony.

Good luck guys.
ok so California just fuggin' sucks. let's just all agree to that and look at this as a solution for other states.
this solution works for some so leave it at that.
Old 06-29-2013, 07:04 AM   #29
MadMax
Marveling...

Oddometer: 409
ANOTHER reason not to try this in Cali

I was interested in this topic and found a 2003 article from the L.A. Times that said IF the Police catch a person with a California Driver License with a vehicle plated and registered in another State and they write you a ticket- well not only does the DMV do an investigation, but so does the Calif. State Franchise Tax Board! So now you've run afoul of the Police, the DMV, and the Tax Board.

As a result of 107 of the investigations into cases in which vehicle owners failed to comply despite notification by the DMV, the California Franchise Tax Board collected $43,000 from scofflaws. Botello noted that the figure does not reflect back registration and license fees paid voluntarily by vehicle owners targeted in the investigations.

If you know the wolves at the Tax Board, the risk in California doing this thing is crazy.

MadMax
MadMax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 07:26 AM   #30
mcma111
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,869
I'll never sell my plated XR600. Never.

BMW's
58 R26
79 R100s
91 R100gs

87 Harley FXRS-SP ~ 06 KTM 625 SMC ~ 72 Honda CB750/915cc ~ 92 XR600/654cc ~ 95 XR650l/675cc ~ 03 CRF450r ~ 05 CRF450x ~ 02 XR650l/675cc ~ 86 YZ490 ~ 93 YZ80 ~ 93 XR650l Project
mcma111 is offline   Reply With Quote