Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-29-2013, 07:49 AM   #31
chompino
n00b

Oddometer: 9
I've been on a 15 year vacation in Cali... According to my license and plates. ;) I'm planning to pick up a 300xc-w this year.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
chompino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 11:09 AM   #32
Sniper X OP
De Oppresso Liber

Oddometer: 33,300
So we all get it Cali is a Nazi state. OK, but all the other 47 here in the contiguous aren't, at least MOST aren't. So this solution works for most states. I am glad Imoved OUT of California, everyone I personally knew there has also either done so is is contemplating it. Especially those with dirt bikes and guns.......
Old 06-29-2013, 09:03 PM   #33
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Oddometer: 4,284
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper X View Post
So we all get it Cali is a Nazi state. OK, but all the other 47 here in the contiguous aren't, at least MOST aren't. So this solution works for most states. I am glad Imoved OUT of California, everyone I personally knew there has also either done so is is contemplating it. Especially those with dirt bikes and guns.......

OMFG, aint that the truth.
I keep thinking Idaho, or easter oregon. We moved from the Seattle area in '92, but wouldn't go back - it's just as bad as here but no sunshine.
Old 06-29-2013, 09:23 PM   #34
Blakebird
r-u-n-n-o-f-t

Oddometer: 15,045
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper X View Post
I'm a CA native too (born/raised Monterey). The fact is - it's a crapshoot whether your plate will get pulled, but it happens. Lots of folks got their dirtbike/dualsport plated after the Feb 2004 deadline and thought they had it made....but the VIN being from a non factory street legal bike can and may get those plates pulled next time it comes up for registration.

That's all old news though....

What is happening is more states are adopting the practice of checking VIN's at registration renewal time (NV for one, another state I lived in). New Mexico is going that route, and it's become less than a sure thing to get your XR or whatever plated and get it to stick.
In some states like Wisconsin, it's a no-go from the beginning. I had a plated KTM 380 EXC that I parted out, and I got BIG money for the street titled frame from a guy in New Jersey.

While SniperX's tactic might work for some, it's got an equal chance of not working...IMO the best you could hope for is having your plated dirtbike slip thru the cracks for a while - so enjoy it while you can.
IBA #11735 . 1968-present
Blakebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 09:42 PM   #35
johngil
Reseda, CA

Oddometer: 3,680
Trying to think back to when I was seriously considering doing this. I'm thinking '06 or '07 w/ my 400 EXC.
In the end it was a reality that I would be falsifying documents or using a friend's address/ownership status and therefore placing them liable in the event of an accident. Not worth it in my opinion. There are now lots of good bikes w/ legit plates available.
Ride on...
johngil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 09:44 PM   #36
AviatorTroy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,547
I probably wouldn't try this in New York or California, but most other places it would probably work. For instance I am an Ohio resident but live in Florida for 7 months out of the year, but during those 7 months I travel back home for holidays, etc, so I still technically am in ohio for more than half the year. All my vehicles have Ohio plates. I split my state income taxes between the states. Florida has no state income tax but the yearly registration is outrageous. I have 8 vehicles to register every year so there are advantages to this. The short story made longer is that in Florida 2/3 of the cars have out of state plates so no one would ever be the wiser. However I hear there are some smaller towns inland that have cops that are specifically trying to bust people's balls on this. Don't do anything stupid and get pulled over, and if you do, act like you know what you are doing and everything will be fine.
AviatorTroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 09:59 PM   #37
ThumpnRed
Pig Wrangler

Oddometer: 2,328
Quote:
Originally Posted by browneye View Post
I keep thinking Idaho, or easter oregon. We moved from the Seattle area in '92, but wouldn't go back - it's just as bad as here but no sunshine.
The laws here in Idaho are very minimal. I dont see them changing anytime soon. Too much agricultural influence in the statehouse and the farmers need to be able to ride whatever they want on the road.
ThumpnRed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 08:11 AM   #38
Grreatdog
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,463
I tried to keep my CJ5 with a V8 conversion when I moved to MD by keeping my SC registration via my brother's address. A county cop eventually pulled me because he kept seeing that Jeep for a year or so. Maybe he wouldn't have noticed in a larger town.

But he warned me it is a vehicle impound violation here not a ticket. So I had to let my CJ go because it wouldn't pass emission inspection. Moral is check your laws about out of state registration because it may be a little uglier than just a fix it ticket.

As for insurance, Progressive told me they will insure pretty much any motorcycle for anything you are willing to pay for. They didn't have any issues with my MXC. State Farm was also OK with it. So in MD insurance is a non-issue.

Grreatdog screwed with this post 06-30-2013 at 08:17 AM
Grreatdog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 11:08 AM   #39
brianpc
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 133
+1, CA frigging sucks for this stuff.

With all the time, trouble, costs, and potential to really go pear-shaped (insurance issue w/ accident, law enforcement looking into your "out of state" setup, etc), you might as well just buy a legal plated dirt bike in the first place. :)

If other states continue to adopt CA's crazy emissions laws and crack down on OHV stuff, you might see the big Japanese bike mfgrs possibly start catering to the plated dirt bike market.. but I doubt it :)
brianpc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 02:03 PM   #40
Sniper X OP
De Oppresso Liber

Quote:
Originally Posted by browneye View Post
I LOVED Cali when I was there. Did film and video production at the Monterey bay Aquarium, but had to sell half my guns to stay legal so when I moved to New MExico I was not only in gun heaven but dirt bike platable heaven.
Old 07-01-2013, 02:07 PM   #41
Sniper X OP
De Oppresso Liber

What is happening is more states are adopting the practice of checking VIN's at registration renewal time (NV for one, another state I lived in). New Mexico is going that route, and it's become less than a sure thing to get your XR or whatever plated and get it to stick.
In some states like Wisconsin, it's a no-go from the beginning. I had a plated KTM 380 EXC that I parted out, and I got BIG money for the street titled frame from a guy in New Jersey.

I will say that my XR400R doesn't say for off road only nor dies it have ANY of the digits that state it is for off road use. No one I kow, and I know a bunch of plated XRs here, has had one problem with it here in new mexico. That is because not one of my buddies had the dreaded FORUO on the title, in fact, I have never personally seen a off road title on an XR. I have had two plated now here in NM. I even plated a Euro Spec MZ Supermoto here as well as a Euro spec BMW car or two.
Old 07-01-2013, 02:10 PM   #42
Sniper X OP
De Oppresso Liber

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianpc View Post
+1, CA frigging sucks for this stuff.

With all the time, trouble, costs, and potential to really go pear-shaped (insurance issue w/ accident, law enforcement looking into your "out of state" setup, etc), you might as well just buy a legal plated dirt bike in the first place. :)

If other states continue to adopt CA's crazy emissions laws and crack down on OHV stuff, you might see the big Japanese bike mfgrs possibly start catering to the plated dirt bike market.. but I doubt it :)
We can only wish, in Euro countries you can get a vary nice street legal XR400R Super Moto stock! I would be riding one today and buy my first new bike in forever if they sold it here.
Old 07-01-2013, 03:51 PM   #43
XpressCS
Must. Have. Lumens..

Oddometer: 1,050
If only I had the $ to move to AZ, I would in half a heartbeat.

I the meantime, I guess i'll just hangout with family/friends and enjoy the dunes from time to time. And sunsets, about the only good things here. Besides TDS.

My KLR is my therapy session. My quiet time. My deep tissue massage. Me without my KLR is reason enough to be deeply concerned. It is what calms me the most. Soothes my mind. Eases my stress. -Me
XpressCS is offline   Reply With Quote