ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks > GPS 101 - Which GPS For Me
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-27-2013, 09:56 AM   #1
Rob.G OP
Mostly Harmless
 
Rob.G's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2010
Location: Fulltiming in an RV!
Oddometer: 1,954
From Zumo to Montana...

I've had a Zumo 665 for three years (though I never used the XM antenna; it's still unused in the box someplace). Pretty much since getting it, I've not really liked it. I used it because it was waterproof and had that nice powered mount. So I have three mounts, one on each bike. But the issue with how slow it is, how often it crashes, and the poor map rendering is just annoying to say the least.

For an upcoming trip, I decided to splurge and buy a new GPS. I got a Montana 600. Since I already have the Topo 100k and 24k maps, I couldn't see spending money to have them pre-installed, and I don't care about the camera. So $429 later, I had one, plus a little extra for a couple of powered mounts.

Usability is lightyears better than the Zumo in every way. The display is gorgeous, and there's no pixel doubling of the maps. It's very customizable, with multiple profiles -- motorcycle, automotive, hiking, boating, whatever. And you can customize the main menu to make switching between profiles super easy.

This morning, I wanted to see if I could replace the Zumo entirely. I purchased and downloaded City Navigator NT (they gave me a 10% coupon, and I got another 3% back via mrrebates.com), so it ended up being about $67. No pixel doubling, the small roads are visible up to 0.8 (which on this thing is perfect), and all the routing works! It looks sooooooooo much better than than the Zumo! I'm sold. Or more accurately, the Zumo is going to get sold. Now I need a third powered mount for the third bike, and one more mount to use it in my truck.

So... if you're considering a Zumo, don't. Look at the Montana.

Rob
__________________
'12 Suzuki V-Strom DL650
'96 Suzuki DR650
'10 Kawasaki KLX351S #320
'01 Yamaha FZ1

Rob.G screwed with this post 06-27-2013 at 10:25 AM
Rob.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 10:45 AM   #2
Rob.G OP
Mostly Harmless
 
Rob.G's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2010
Location: Fulltiming in an RV!
Oddometer: 1,954
Here are some screen shots from it.

City Navigator NT, 0.8mi, downtown Salem, Oregon


City Navigator NT, 0.8mi, Timothy Lake (just south of Mt. Hood)


Topo 24k, 0.8mi, Timothy Lake


Topo 24k, 0.5mi, Timothy Lake



True, it's easier to see the trails in City Nav, but I love the shaded relief maps in Topo 24k. Plus it shows lots of other POIs that won't necessarily appear in CityNav. But with the easy profile switching, you can go between the two on the fly as needed.

Rob
__________________
'12 Suzuki V-Strom DL650
'96 Suzuki DR650
'10 Kawasaki KLX351S #320
'01 Yamaha FZ1
Rob.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 12:47 PM   #3
blender
Just another rider
 
Joined: Jul 2004
Location: The Middle Coast
Oddometer: 700
Thanks for posting this. I have a Zumo 450 that has worked well for the past 5 years, however it's showing its age. I've been trying to decide what GPS I need next.

I don't need XM, I don't need traffic, I don't need my GPS to work as a camera. The Montana 600 appears to fit my needs.

The only thing that irks me is the need to purchase another copy of City Navigator. As I understand it my current version is tied to the Zumo, I can't transfer it to a new Montana.
__________________
Steve
Madison, WI
blender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 01:08 PM   #4
Rob.G OP
Mostly Harmless
 
Rob.G's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2010
Location: Fulltiming in an RV!
Oddometer: 1,954
Quote:
Originally Posted by blender View Post
Thanks for posting this. I have a Zumo 450 that has worked well for the past 5 years, however it's showing its age. I've been trying to decide what GPS I need next.

I don't need XM, I don't need traffic, I don't need my GPS to work as a camera. The Montana 600 appears to fit my needs.

The only thing that irks me is the need to purchase another copy of City Navigator. As I understand it my current version is tied to the Zumo, I can't transfer it to a new Montana.
Yeah I didn't want to either for the same reason. I was going to try copying the file over and see if it'd work, but since my Zumo won't connect to the computer anymore, I don't have that option. If yours will, plug it in and find the one big file (it's around 2 gig) and copy it off of the Zumo and drop it onto the new one, who knows it might work. :)

Rob
__________________
'12 Suzuki V-Strom DL650
'96 Suzuki DR650
'10 Kawasaki KLX351S #320
'01 Yamaha FZ1
Rob.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 03:49 PM   #5
RonKZ650
Gnarly Adventurer
 
RonKZ650's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2009
Location: Lakewood, CO
Oddometer: 221
I've been putting off buying a Zumo all these years and glad I didn't buy one. I got my Montana 600 one week ago and love it, so had to order addition rugged mount, and the car suction mount.
There's so much you can do with this unit better than the Zumo I'm assuming.

RonKZ650 screwed with this post 06-28-2013 at 05:42 AM
RonKZ650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 02:48 PM   #6
eram310
Adventurer
 
Joined: May 2008
Oddometer: 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonKZ650 View Post
I've been putting off buying a Zumo all these years and glad I didn't buy one. I got my Montana 600 one week ago and love it, so had to order addition rugged mount, and the car suction mount.
There's so much you can do with this unit better than the Zumo I'm assuming.
When I did a comparison between the 600 and the 650 on Garmin web site I found that the only difference is the built in camera on the 650. Is that the only difference?

I currently use a 60 CX on my D/S and trail bikes and the Zumo 220 on my sport and Adventure bikes. Would upgrading to the basic Montana (I will buy the maps) will replace both? Is it an upgrade?
I have not much complaint with either one, but I don't know any better.

Thanks,
eram310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 03:04 PM   #7
clint64
Adventurer
 
clint64's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2006
Location: Duluth, GA
Oddometer: 87
Thanks for your posts. I'm in the market to upgrade from my faithful 2730. Looks like the Montana might be the one for me. For those also in the market be sure to check on the vendors section for GPS City discount for forum members
clint64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 03:41 PM   #8
RonKZ650
Gnarly Adventurer
 
RonKZ650's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2009
Location: Lakewood, CO
Oddometer: 221
Quote:
Originally Posted by eram310 View Post
When I did a comparison between the 600 and the 650 on Garmin web site I found that the only difference is the built in camera on the 650. Is that the only difference?

I currently use a 60 CX on my D/S and trail bikes and the Zumo 220 on my sport and Adventure bikes. Would upgrading to the basic Montana (I will buy the maps) will replace both? Is it an upgrade?
I have not much complaint with either one, but I don't know any better.

Thanks,
Yes the camera is the only difference in the 650 vs the 600. I'm far from an expert on GPS systems but I'm pretty sure this Montana would be a good upgrade to both those units.
RonKZ650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 04:02 PM   #9
Rob.G OP
Mostly Harmless
 
Rob.G's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2010
Location: Fulltiming in an RV!
Oddometer: 1,954
Quote:
Originally Posted by eram310 View Post
When I did a comparison between the 600 and the 650 on Garmin web site I found that the only difference is the built in camera on the 650. Is that the only difference?

I currently use a 60 CX on my D/S and trail bikes and the Zumo 220 on my sport and Adventure bikes. Would upgrading to the basic Montana (I will buy the maps) will replace both? Is it an upgrade?
I have not much complaint with either one, but I don't know any better.
Like the other guy said, yes, the only diff is the camera and the Topo 100k maps which are (IMO) largely pointless. Save the money and get the CityNav and Topo 24k maps and you'll be set. It should be a real nice upgrade to those units, especially if you get the powered mount for it.

Rob
__________________
'12 Suzuki V-Strom DL650
'96 Suzuki DR650
'10 Kawasaki KLX351S #320
'01 Yamaha FZ1
Rob.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 05:38 PM   #10
blender
Just another rider
 
Joined: Jul 2004
Location: The Middle Coast
Oddometer: 700
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonKZ650 View Post
I've been putting off buying a Zumo all these years and glad I didn't buy one. I got my Montana 600 one week ago and love it, so had to order addition rugged mount, and the car suction mount.
There's so much you can do with this unit better than the Zumo I'm assuming.
I was in the same situation. This bastige's post finally pushed me over the edge and I bought it. Damn that Rob.G! It's all *his* fault the CC took a hit this month! ;)

And oh-by-the-way as long as I was spending $$ I went with the CN 2014 download. Sigh.

Now all I need to figure out is how to delete these unwanted local POI's that Garmin thought I needed. Hmm, they don't show up in the POI folder and I'm not finding tips where to find & nuke them. This is a bit different than the Zumo...
__________________
Steve
Madison, WI
blender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 06:07 PM   #11
Rob.G OP
Mostly Harmless
 
Rob.G's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2010
Location: Fulltiming in an RV!
Oddometer: 1,954
Quote:
Originally Posted by blender View Post
I was in the same situation. This bastige's post finally pushed me over the edge and I bought it. Damn that Rob.G! It's all *his* fault the CC took a hit this month! ;)

And oh-by-the-way as long as I was spending $$ I went with the CN 2014 download. Sigh.

Now all I need to figure out is how to delete these unwanted local POI's that Garmin thought I needed. Hmm, they don't show up in the POI folder and I'm not finding tips where to find & nuke them. This is a bit different than the Zumo...
Main Menu, hit the ^ to open the drawer, scroll down to the Waypoints Manager, and you can delete them in there.

Then when you're done, go into Setup > Menu, and you can add more room on the menu page for icons, and add the Waypoint Manager "app" (icon) to the main menu (home screen). I also added the track manager, Profiles and a couple other things.

Rob
__________________
'12 Suzuki V-Strom DL650
'96 Suzuki DR650
'10 Kawasaki KLX351S #320
'01 Yamaha FZ1
Rob.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 07:31 PM   #12
blender
Just another rider
 
Joined: Jul 2004
Location: The Middle Coast
Oddometer: 700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob.G View Post
Main Menu, hit the ^ to open the drawer, scroll down to the Waypoints Manager, and you can delete them in there.
Nope, did not work. My "unwanted" POIs show up under "Where To/All POIs" menu. I won't worry about it tonight. I think this is an "operator education" issue.
__________________
Steve
Madison, WI
blender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 07:57 PM   #13
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators
 
Emmbeedee's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2008
Location: Near Ottawa, ON, Canada
Oddometer: 8,065
You guys should make sure to update the software on your new Montanas to get the best out of the unit. The Montana is the best you can get right now, but Garmin's new Monterra is going to be a winner too. Google Garmin Monterra to see what's coming before too long.

Hint: it's Android based but fits on the Montana mounts.
__________________
Want to know more about the Garmin Montana? See the Wisdom and FAQ Thread.
Want to know more about the Garmin VIRB? See here.
"The motorcycle, being poorly designed for both flight and marine operation, sustained significant external and internal damage," police noted.
Emmbeedee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 04:06 AM   #14
afmeyer
Adventurer
 
Joined: Apr 2003
Location: NC
Oddometer: 65
I was about to buy the Montana but saw the ad for the Monterra. It adds these features:Bluetooth® wireless technology, Wi-Fi connectivity, ANT+™ connectivity,GNSS support,(GPS + GLONASS), Near Field Communication (NFC), Microphone(internal for audio capture), Multimedia (audio/video) support,(MP3 player, video player, etc.), UV sensor, Android® with Google Play for complete customization. It also has an FM and NOAA radio.

I don't know when it will be available but it sounds like my cell phone with IPX7. My cellphone is worthless in the sunlight and forget the rain. The GPS function of the Monterra is the same as the Montana but the wifi, bluetooth, and Android OS adds a lot.
Now, if I only had the skills to ride on the CDR this August/Sept..
afmeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 09:35 AM   #15
Rob.G OP
Mostly Harmless
 
Rob.G's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2010
Location: Fulltiming in an RV!
Oddometer: 1,954
Quote:
Originally Posted by afmeyer View Post
I was about to buy the Montana but saw the ad for the Monterra. It adds these features:Bluetooth® wireless technology, Wi-Fi connectivity, ANT+™ connectivity,GNSS support,(GPS + GLONASS), Near Field Communication (NFC), Microphone(internal for audio capture), Multimedia (audio/video) support,(MP3 player, video player, etc.), UV sensor, Android® with Google Play for complete customization. It also has an FM and NOAA radio.

I don't know when it will be available but it sounds like my cell phone with IPX7. My cellphone is worthless in the sunlight and forget the rain. The GPS function of the Monterra is the same as the Montana but the wifi, bluetooth, and Android OS adds a lot.
Now, if I only had the skills to ride on the CDR this August/Sept..
Hmmm interesting. Part of me wishes I'd heard about this a week ago, but not really. The big red flag for me is that it runs Android OS. No thanks. This thing is gonna be majorly buggy in its first release. It's nice that Garmin is finally embracing a better OS though, but until they really figure it out, I don't want any part of it. And if they try to skimp and use a cheap processor, it's gonna be a pig like my Zumo. By the 2nd generation model though, it should be quite good. And it looks like it uses the Montana case for the most part, so the powered mounts should be compatible. That'd make upgrading bit more enticing.

So... maybe in a year I'll upgrade again, but so far, I'm still happy with the Montana, which I got for $250 less.

Rob
__________________
'12 Suzuki V-Strom DL650
'96 Suzuki DR650
'10 Kawasaki KLX351S #320
'01 Yamaha FZ1

Rob.G screwed with this post 06-29-2013 at 09:41 AM
Rob.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 06:34 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014