ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks > GPS 101 - Which GPS For Me
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 06-29-2013, 11:22 AM   #16
EmmEff
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,674
Given Garmin's track record for 1.0 releases, it will be buggy without a doubt. Hopefully they get a handle on it early. Despite the positive feedback coming from the Montana camp, it still sounds like it has some issues despite the latest fixes. I cannot for the life of me figure out why they cannot do routing like the previous x76/x78 series units that everybody raves about.

How is yet another model, this time with completely different firmware, going to dilute the engineering efforts at Garmin? I can't help but think that if they had a common platform to develop on, it'll mean more frequent bug fixes across the entire product line.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Old 06-29-2013, 11:46 AM   #17
afmeyer
Adventurer

Oddometer: 67
There is no way to answer whether or not this device will work at this point in time. On the specifications page for the unit one of the items looks a little buggy to me itself. So it looks like a WIP maybe trying to stall the competition.
Usually the solutions to the bugs that people encounter are all software so more than likely if you buy one today it may not work today but certainly will work tomorrow as with the Montana. I think when it first came out there were problems which were resolved by new downloads of The OS and other software fixes.
I am currently using a quest two and really need to get a new unit. I have 2008 city navigator on it which really doesn't make much difference where I ride. But if I want to get any new maps they won't fit on the device.
I'm going to call Garmin on Monday and find out when this device will be available and any other technical specs that they'll give out such as the processor.
afmeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 11:49 AM   #18
EmmEff
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,674
For what it's worth, GPS City is anticipating early September availability.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Old 06-29-2013, 12:45 PM   #19
Rob.G OP
Mostly Harmless

Oddometer: 2,085
I agree; it's likely any bugs with the Monterra will be software fixable. But I do hope we can find out what the CPU will be. It has to be pretty fast or it's gonna be a slug. Even my Montana, which is lightyears ahead of my old Zumo, is still a bit slow on the map redraws when I'm running the Topo 24k stuff. As advanced as CPUs and graphics chips are now, especially since the Monterra is basically an Android smartphone without the phone, there will be no reason (IMO) for it to be anything but blazing fast.

A few years ago I pre-ordered and got Delorme's latest and greatest, the PN40. I even got the "SE" model with 8 gig on board. At the time it seemed awesome, at least compared to what Garmin was offering. Unfortunately, it's such a buggy POS as to be unusable. It locks up when trying to use it... just freezes, requiring a battery pull to fix. And it happens often. I posted about this issue on the Delorme forum and happened to use the term WTF in a post, and one of their forum admins had a hissy fit about it. That was the last time I visited that site. If I ever find the stupid thing, I may see if there's another update for it, and then eBay it.

Rob
'10 Kawasaki KLX351S #320
Rob.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 08:38 PM   #20
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,037
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob.G View Post
I agree; it's likely any bugs with the Monterra will be software fixable. But I do hope we can find out what the CPU will be. It has to be pretty fast or it's gonna be a slug. Even my Montana, which is lightyears ahead of my old Zumo, is still a bit slow on the map redraws when I'm running the Topo 24k stuff. As advanced as CPUs and graphics chips are now, especially since the Monterra is basically an Android smartphone without the phone, there will be no reason (IMO) for it to be anything but blazing fast.

Rob
I've learned over the years to have low expectations with the hope of pleasant surprises. One reason the CPU may not be the fastest of the current chip sets is cost. Keep in mind Garmin isn't selling 10's of millions of these units like cell phone manufacturers are - although I'm sure they be happy to.

Dan
All Things GPS
Reviews at www.GlobeRiders.com
DRTBYK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 08:18 AM   #21
wbbnm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,826
I kind of gagged at having to buy a new City Navigator when I replaced my 60 with a Montana last summer. I had been using CN 2009 with no updates.

But CN 2013 turned out to be much better than the 09 version in many small ways. So I didn't feel so bad.

However I have encountered a few map errors in my version of 2013. Guys I ride with who have upgraded to later versions don't seem to have these errors.
wbbnm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 09:24 AM   #22
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,037
Quote:
Originally Posted by wbbnm View Post
I kind of gagged at having to buy a new City Navigator when I replaced my 60 with a Montana last summer. I had been using CN 2009 with no updates.

But CN 2013 turned out to be much better than the 09 version in many small ways. So I didn't feel so bad.

However I have encountered a few map errors in my version of 2013. Guys I ride with who have upgraded to later versions don't seem to have these errors.
If they have the exact same version of CNNA then they have the same errors/omissions. CNNA updates on average 4 times a year. The current version is 2014.10

Dan
All Things GPS
Reviews at www.GlobeRiders.com
DRTBYK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 08:28 AM   #23
SteveAZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,147
Quote:
I agree; it's likely any bugs with the Monterra will be software fixable.....
I dunno.... Just because they _can_ be fixed by software doesn't mean they _will_. The Montana's been on the market for two years and is still a pretty buggy unit. Plenty have mentioned they think it's also a bit lame on the routing side of things...
SteveAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 08:31 AM   #24
Rob.G OP
Mostly Harmless

Oddometer: 2,085
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveAZ View Post
I dunno.... Just because they _can_ be fixed by software doesn't mean they _will_. The Montana's been on the market for two years and is still a pretty buggy unit. Plenty have mentioned they think it's also a bit lame on the routing side of things...
Routing using CN or what? I haven't tried it yet; have barely used it on the bike so far since getting ready for a trip. I bought it specifically for riding a chunk of the OBDR and was tired of the Zumo.

Rob
'10 Kawasaki KLX351S #320
Rob.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 08:59 AM   #25
SteveAZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,147
Quote:
Routing using CN or what? I haven't tried it yet; have barely used it on the bike so far since getting ready for a trip. I bought it specifically for riding a chunk of the OBDR and was tired of the Zumo.

Rob
I haven't used the zumo 665, but coming from the x76/x96 units, IMO (and plenty of others) the montana using CN is at best sub-par as a routing unit and with 24K it's often atrocious since many of the POI's in 24K are way off. I stopped having 24K loaded unless off-road since it will find the same POI's from both whether they're enabled or not and there's no way to tell what map they're from. On top, the unit barfs on me if I use a recent find from a map that's no longer loaded.

It has many times routed me as much as a mile out of the way through slow streets doing just right turns in what looks like attempts to avoid left or u-turns although I do not say avoid u-turns. It's also limited to just one via in on-the-fly routes and won't search for POI's near the route. Another huge annoyance for me is that you can't do finds while map panning although as others have pointed out you can map pan while doing finds after many button presses. Map pans while doing finds and finds while doing map pans are very different animals however...

It does have many things going for it though... Like you mentioned the display is really nice, the ability to take AA's or Li and the external power connector through the mounts are great.

Aside from missing buttons, the hardware is pretty nice.... but the firmware and updates have been very disappointing for me considering it's a two year old unit (mature by today's standards)...
SteveAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 09:05 AM   #26
Wlfman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,288
Quote:

So... if you're considering a Zumo, don't. Look at the Montana.

Rob
Montana's lack of Bluetooth audio for use with a helmet comm system is the ONLY reason I won't buy one.

Those who say it cannot be done should not interrupt the people who are doing it."
"Now and then it's good to pause in our pursuit of happiness and JUST BE HAPPY."
Wlfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 11:24 AM   #27
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer: 8,758
Quote:

Rob
Routing using ANY routable map. The Montana really shows it's weakness. And I'm comparing it to my ancient ass ZUMO 550. Because of the inferior routing issues I still have to hang on to my ZUMO. So, I usually use the Montana for day rides and the ZUMO for any multi-day extensive distance trips.

Another day, another foot injury!
Albie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 08:13 PM   #28
eram310
Adventurer

Oddometer: 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by Albie View Post
Routing using ANY routable map. The Montana really shows it's weakness. And I'm comparing it to my ancient ass ZUMO 550. Because of the inferior routing issues I still have to hang on to my ZUMO. So, I usually use the Montana for day rides and the ZUMO for any multi-day extensive distance trips.
That's a deal breaker for me. The Zumo 220 is good at routing. I even create routes on CN2014 and transfer to the Zumo with CN2012 and it routes OK.

On the other hand, I use the 60CX with tracks only because it's horrible at auto routing.
eram310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 08:51 PM   #29
Bill Murray
Adventurer

Oddometer: 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by eram310 View Post
That's a deal breaker for me. The Zumo 220 is good at routing. I even create routes on CN2014 and transfer to the Zumo with CN2012 and it routes OK.

On the other hand, I use the 60CX with tracks only because it's horrible at auto routing.
I have owned a Montana 650 for about one year. With a well planned route, the Montana is capable of routing accurately. Plan your route with sufficient via points placed at key intersections or other locations and such, and its routing works fine. On multi-day trips, I set up my routes for each day's ride, thus keeping their length such that the "50-point limit" has never been an issue for me. And using BaseCamp, I can easily create and load a track matching my planned route that will not be recalculated by the GPS, no matter what happen (just in case the unexpected does happen with my well-planned route).

As a former Zumo 550 owner, I do miss certain routing functions provided with the Zumo – especially the ability, while navigating a route, to search for a Point of Interest (like a gas station or hotel) along my route and add it to the route. That said, for me, the ability to use tracks and navigate using tracks has more than offset the capability to search for POIS along my navigating route. And as I previously stated, I have been able to use sufficient via points to make my routes work fine.

If you are strictly a street rider and like the way the Zumo's routing functions work, then go with a Zumo. If you want to enjoy the numerous other features offered by the Montana, then buy one – it’s a great GPS.
Bill Murray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 05:32 AM   #30
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer: 8,758
Unfortunately if you're both a street and dual sport rider then you pretty much have to have BOTH units. Which at the end of the day is Garmins plan.

Another day, another foot injury!
Albie is offline   Reply With Quote