ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks > GPS 101 - Which GPS For Me
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 07-09-2013, 07:39 PM   #61
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 9,060
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveAZ View Post
There are a lot of things that take way too much time to figure out via trial and error that could be found in some reasonable documentation much more quickly. Like it disabling the compass (even though it still says "auto") when placed into the automotive mount. I didn't understand that until someone here explained it to me.
Garmins have always disabled the electronic compass when they're moving at over walking speed. There's no need for the electronic compass while the unit has a satellite fix and is moving.
Emmbeedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 07:56 PM   #62
SteveAZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,156
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmbeedee View Post
Garmins have always disabled the electronic compass when they're moving at over walking speed. There's no need for the electronic compass while the unit has a satellite fix and is moving.
That's documented and understood.

The floptana goes ahead and keeps it disabled even when at a stop while in the automotive mount and doesn't even go ahead and change the setting from "auto" to "off"...it just stays at "auto" so I was frustrated not understanding why the compass wasn't working while at a stop in the car. This was explained by a helpful advrider as a "feature" when I was "wasting my time complaining" about it.... His assertion was that the speaker magnet in the mount would screw it up which sort of makes sense and I can't see how it's defensible that it isn't documented. Silly me for not relating it to the mount. I might have after a few weeks of trial and error but I guess I'm just slow like that...
SteveAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 03:56 AM   #63
Pantah
Red Sox Nation

Oddometer: 10,080
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob.G View Post
Yes. Install the maps locally and activate them, and they will then appear in Basecamp. Then use Garmin Map Installer (downloaded from their site) to transfer the maps to the Montana. It'll take probably an hour to send them all over.

Rob
Thanks. I see in my applications folder that I have the map installer. I should get the CD tomorrow and will load it. I wonder what happens to the map already in my basecamp.
Pantah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 04:09 AM   #64
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 9,060
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantah View Post
I wonder what happens to the map already in my basecamp.
Nothing will happen to that map. It'll remain as before.
Emmbeedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 04:30 PM   #65
Countdown
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,195
Quote:
This was explained by a helpful advrider as a "feature" when I was "wasting my time complaining" about it.... I might have after a few weeks of trial and error but I guess I'm just slow like that...
About the same as when going from 76 to 78 they kept "Delete All" the same but moved "Delete" for a single Waypoint from the Waypoint data page to you must push "Menu" first. I just assumed Delete was gone, would have never found it until someone pointed it out.

IMHO they don't really need word documentation, just a giant flow diagram would answer most of the questions. When I got my first little e-Map (before 76Cx, before 76C, before 76), I got lost in the manual, finally made a xerox of each GPS page and made my own flow diagram of what each button push from each GPS page went to which GPS page.

Countdown screwed with this post 07-10-2013 at 04:37 PM
Countdown is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 08:44 AM   #66
SteveAZ
Beastly Adventurer

The existing Garmin manual is an insulting joke. It's basically a quick-start guide. For giggles I just downloaded some manuals for other electronic devices I have that might be considered similarly complex. A somewhat sophisticated digital camera (Canon G11) about the same price as the floptana and likely a similar size market (?) and an HF radio (Kenwood TS590) about 2-2.5x cost with a much smaller market.

The camera is arguably no more complicated and probably simpler than the floptana. The radio is hard to compare although probably a bit more complex and it's expected the user has an understanding about how it works more than the market for the camera or GPS would be.

Some easy metrics on the user manuals:

Floptana: 70 very light pages, 1.76MB
Camera: 196 pages a bit more dense, 5.65MB
Radio: 92 very dense pages (8.5x11), 5.4MB + in-depth manual 76 very dense pages, 5.33MB

Granted it's not about page and MB count, they're just simple to obtain metrics. However I have no difficulty finding out the details of the functions/features on the camera & radio and I read them both prior to purchase and have had very little surprises with regards to my expectations on both. The in-depth manual for the radio is really nice explaining the operation of PC software (the camera has downloads for this) and very detailed explanations of theory of operation - it even has thermographs of the circuits. I think both are really fine products. I can't say any of these things about the floptana.

I've not found a single bug in the camera. The radio had bugs that were addressed in later firmware releases but even in the initial release there were orders of magnitude fewer than the floptana two years in.

Just sayin'...
Old 07-11-2013, 08:54 AM   #67
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,105
Quote:
I'd say from all the post-purchase questions we see here that could be easily answered by a garmin managed resource or something, even if just an online source, it would be something a *lot* of people would use.

There are a lot of things that take way too much time to figure out via trial and error that could be found in some reasonable documentation much more quickly. Like it disabling the compass (even though it still says "auto") when placed into the automotive mount. I didn't understand that until someone here explained it to me. I can't understand why that wouldn't be included in the floptana manual *and* the manual for the mount and that *both* should be available for download (mount isn't)!

Even my [dumb] cell phone and digital camera manuals are far more detailed and useful than anything from garmin. Although I admit the Apple manual for my Ipod touch is pretty much [frustratingly] on par with garmin's stuff...

Oh yeah, then we might actually know what the device does prior to purchase..... ooooo that might discourage a sale (but make for a happier customer in the long run)...
No argument here...I don't like being a "tech writer". I did notice that Garmin is hiring a bunch of Tech Writers if you're looking for a job...

Dan
All Things GPS
Reviews at www.GlobeRiders.com
DRTBYK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 10:51 AM   #68
SteveAZ
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRTBYK View Post
No argument here...I don't like being a "tech writer". I did notice that Garmin is hiring a bunch of Tech Writers if you're looking for a job...
I'm old enough these days that might be alright..... Just don't let them know about my posts here!
Old 07-13-2013, 07:20 PM   #69
Pantah
Red Sox Nation

Oddometer: 10,080
I just want to say I bought CN NA for my Montana. It came as a Micro card imbedded in an adapter. It took me awhile to figure the card was in an adapter and how to remove it. I then simply installed it in the Montana GPS and viola! I hooked up the Montana to my Mac and fiddled with it. I noticed Basecamp read the new maps from my Montana. Before long the basecamp software switched to the new city nav map.

I was fairly amazed. I didn't need to use mapinstall, unlock, or any other aid. I just put in the mini card with the map and everything took care of itself. I went outside and it routed for me.

Why are there no instructions for Garmin products? It seems like I have to just bumble through them until I figure how to make them do what I want.
Pantah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 10:24 AM   #70
Emoto
Sure, why not?

Oddometer: 17,919
Quote:
I'm a tech writer. I considered applying...
Smugmug Discount: https://secure.smugmug.com/signup?Coupon=mStnWv71mNkjo
Support .orgs that work to protect your rights: ACLU, NRA, EFF
Emoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 07:11 AM   #71
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,105
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emoto View Post
I'm a tech writer. I considered applying...
I didn't mind it when it was part of my job (40yrs ago) just not today.

Dan
All Things GPS
Reviews at www.GlobeRiders.com
DRTBYK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 08:08 AM   #72
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer: 8,915
Quote:
I didn't mind it when it was part of my job (40yrs ago) just not today.
God I hated writing tech docs. I think root canals are preferable.

Another day, another foot injury!
Albie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 09:39 AM   #73
Emoto
Sure, why not?

Oddometer: 17,919
Quote:
Originally Posted by Albie View Post
God I hated writing tech docs. I think root canals are preferable.
It's a job. I am sure I could improve the Garmin stuff if I were turned loose on it.
Smugmug Discount: https://secure.smugmug.com/signup?Coupon=mStnWv71mNkjo
Support .orgs that work to protect your rights: ACLU, NRA, EFF
Emoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 01:57 PM   #74
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer: 8,915
Quote:
It's a job. I am sure I could improve the Garmin stuff if I were turned loose on it.
I'm sure a room full of monkey's banging on keyboards could improve on it.

Another day, another foot injury!
Albie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 02:30 PM   #75
bomber60015
Anatomically Correct

Oddometer: 9,229
Quote:
I am also a tech writer . . . . . .with apologies to Kansans, their location and insistence on working locally may be limiting their search results dramatically.

As for improving, finishing the job would be an improvement (I agree with the quickstart nature of all the Garmin docs I've seen.

Note Bene -- the job description lists tools and experience requirements that have nothing at all to do with their existing docs. This may be a hopeful sign.
"Here is your country. Cherish these natural wonders, cherish the natural resources, cherish the history and romance as a sacred heritage, for your children and your children's children. Do not let selfish men or greedy interests skin your country of its beauty, its riches or its romance. T.R.
bomber60015 is online now   Reply With Quote