Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-27-2013, 04:34 PM   #1
SkiBumBrian OP
DualSport Crazy !!

Oddometer: 1,048
Copy map files from DVD to SD?

OK. I did quite a bit of searching, learned a lot but never got the answer I needed so somebody PLEASE tell me how....
I bought the Garmin 24K West DVD and installed it on my computer with Basecamp. I purchased an SD card, plugged it into the reader on my computer and wanted to transfer the map files onto the card. It looked like there was all kindza files on there that I probably didn't need to transfer onto the SD card for it to work in my Oregon 450. Which files should I transfer off the DVD to the SD card... I know this is probably an easy question for a GPS geek. I hope to advance to noobgeek soon.
Thanks.
Old 06-27-2013, 05:26 PM   #2
bighopper
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 184
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiBumBrian View Post
OK. I did quite a bit of searching, learned a lot but never got the answer I needed so somebody PLEASE tell me how....
I bought the Garmin 24K West DVD and installed it on my computer with Basecamp. I purchased an SD card, plugged it into the reader on my computer and wanted to transfer the map files onto the card. It looked like there was all kindza files on there that I probably didn't need to transfer onto the SD card for it to work in my Oregon 450. Which files should I transfer off the DVD to the SD card... I know this is probably an easy question for a GPS geek. I hope to advance to noobgeek soon.
Thanks.
You can transfer MAPs to the SD card in your reader (Neeed a Directory 'Garmin'), by using MapInstall or Via Basecamp (right click the SD card in left panel of Basecamp & select Install Map..I could be wrong on this part as I only use MapInstall)
bighopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 06:29 PM   #3
SkiBumBrian OP
DualSport Crazy !!

Thanks! Just tried to right click in Basecamp on SD card but did not recognize, so I pulled the card out of the GPS and plugged it into the computer and copies the map files onto the card. Nothing. Maps aren't on the device. Copied a few more files and still nothing. I cleared the card and am now copying everything off the DVD onto the card... We'll see. If still nothing I will google mapinstall and see if that works.
Old 06-27-2013, 07:02 PM   #4
SkiBumBrian OP
DualSport Crazy !!

Thanks again. After a bunch of dicking around, Mapinstall made it simple... Now to figure out the GPS....
Old 06-27-2013, 08:03 PM   #5
bighopper
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 184
Yeah, you can't just copy the map files as you have found out...have to Install.

Have fun
bighopper is offline   Reply With Quote