User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-27-2013, 05:18 PM   #1
LFD Kansas OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 957
A ride for Linda.

This will be a tough report to write, please bare with me.

A little back story:
I grew up in a very small town south of Kansas City. My parents divorced in 1986. After the divorce was final, my mother needed a way to raise two kids, pay the bills and get an education. It was then that Linda became family. The best friend of my mother, also single with two kids, moved in with us as we moved up to the suburbs of KC.

With Linda, I never felt an absence. She was there any time that my mom wasn't. She was the adventurous one. Never met a stranger and often getting in the middle of anything that looked like fun. I have fond memories of go-carts scooters, and her CB750.

She quickly became another parent to me.

Growing up with Linda in the family gave me many opportunities to see the world and enjoy it. Linda has lived her life for excitement and laughter. In my early years it meant many camping and road trips. I remember the ride up Pikes Peak in a 30' camper at 15 mph with miles of pissed off dads in family trucksters behind us. While all the kids in the camper where dancing and laughing to the spin doctors tape Linda played the whole way up the mountain. I remember the time we were approached in Jackson Hole by a tour company. Two hours later we were packing into the Teton range, each kid with a llama on a lead as pack animals.

Growing up with Linda was an adventure.
LFD Kansas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 05:35 PM   #2
LFD Kansas OP
Studly Adventurer

In my adult life, the adventures with Linda never ceased. Wether paragliding alyeska on the Kenai Peninsula or rafting Brown's Canyon on the Arkansas in Colorado, we were always having fun.

The fun never ceased through the rough times either. Three years ago, our unorthodox little family was hit with a devastating blow. Nearly simultaneously both my mom and Linda were diagnosed with cancer. My mother with melanoma and lymphoma Linda with colon cancer. We still managed to have good times and enjoy life. Last spring, we headed down to Arkansas and hiked, swam, and played on the Buffalo river. For anyone who has been there, you know that it is a well kept secret of motorcycling that could easily rival the BRP and the tail of the dragon. That is what I believe prompted the phone call I received earlier this Spring. Linda called, and she asked about renting her a trike in Arkansas. I knew she was after one last adventure. I hurried to make arrangements, but then the bad news came. I didn't move fast enough and the doctors had run out of options. Hospice was called, and I turned to you FFs
Old 06-27-2013, 05:42 PM   #3
LFD Kansas OP
Studly Adventurer

I was desperately searching for an adventure for her, and posted multiple threads about going for a ride. Refreshing the computer constantly and liking for options.

That is when a fine gentleman by the user name North"wet spoke up. He was local, and kind enough to give Linda her last ride in his Ural sidecar.

I need to take a few minutes....... to be continued...
Old 06-27-2013, 07:07 PM   #4
LFD Kansas OP
Studly Adventurer

So, North"wet" and I spoke on the phone to get things arranged. I made calls to my mom who was making arrangements with the hospice nurse. I was thrilled that this thing was coming together.

I gave an open invitation for other inmates to join, and started making calls to local friends who ride. Inmates North"wet and Kendall_Smith, plus Kendall's beautiful wife Alissa were the inmates along. North"wet" was exactly as I pictured him when I first spoke to him on the phone. A gentleman very compassionate to Linda's needs and ready for fun. Kendall and Alissa, (I hope that spelling is correct) rode out from the Southwest suburbs two up on a KTM They were excited to ride, and i was glad that they came. I hope to ride with them all again soon.

We met at the parking lot and i would have been happy to hang out and get to know them, but our riding window was very small.

Along for the ride were other friends that are not on advrider. Larry #1 is one of my riding mentors. He came out on his Guzzi. Larry is a fan of the classics, he builds, repairs, and shows bikes in the area. I am also happy to say he was a mentor to me in my career as well. He retired from the fire department 5 years ago.

Larry #2 is also a coworker and a friend. I was pretty happy when he and his wife Alisha agreed to ride. Larry on a CRF and Alisha on her show winning '68? Vespa with side car in Pink.

The Wheeler's, Joe and Sherry have been life long friends of our family. They rode up from Louisburg on their Harley trike.
Their daughter Jennifer and her boyfriend Mike rode up from my home town in Drexel. Also on a HD. A big bagger of some kind.

Also along was my beautiful woman, partner in crime, chief photog, and chase vehicle pilot Dawn. A chase vehicle was decided upon in case Linda were to get uncomfortable.
Old 06-27-2013, 07:20 PM   #5
Mcgee
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 244
What a great tribute to a wonderful person. Waiting for the rest of the ride to come about. Thank you.
Old 06-27-2013, 07:39 PM   #6
zhukov
Adventurer

Oddometer: 23
Thank you for sharing this story.
Old 06-28-2013, 12:24 PM   #7
fuhgawee
Thats a road?

Oddometer: 1,534
Awesome

Pics man Pics
fuhgawee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 12:42 PM   #8
JTB488
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 124
Awesome story and experience!
JTB488 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 01:00 PM   #9
ButchH
Adventurer

Oddometer: 33
You are a good person. Thanks for sharing
ButchH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 08:58 PM   #10
WU7X
The Old Fart

Oddometer: 1,940
I have been fortunate enough to find that there are many different types of families, some incredibly wonderful. You sound like you found one of the great ones. My prayers are with you and yours.
"
Adventure is worthwhile." ~ Aristotle
Airhead #14449
WU7X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 03:24 AM   #11
MrTeacher
n00b

Oddometer: 6
A very touching story, You are a very good person.

My prayers for you and your family.
MrTeacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 07:20 PM   #12
LFD Kansas OP
Studly Adventurer

I have been slacking on keeping up with this. My apologies.
Linda went peacefully today around 3.
She was surrounded by loved ones.

North"wet," she told everyone that saw her during her last couple weeks how much fun she had riding with you, and the rest of us.
I want to tell you how much your kindness touched me. I am trying my hardest to make sure that the ride will be my last memory of her and not the way she was this last week.
I hope to ride with you again under other circumstances.

Kendall and Alissa, thank you for being part of my gift to her. I hope to ride with you again as well. Any time you feel like riding North or wanting company down south, please catch me here or give me a call.

Photos have been really difficult to look at. I promise I will get them up soon.

Sent from my C771 using Tapatalk 2
Old 07-09-2013, 07:43 PM   #13
tomr
Would-be Adventurer

Oddometer: 2
Very sorry for your loss. It sounds like you are fortunate to have some great memories.

Prayers for you and yours during this time.
tomr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 08:05 PM   #14
advrockrider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 183
Awesome...

Wow, just wow... what a story and a tribute to the good people not only ADV but the planet. I lost my mom just a little over a year ago, focus on the good memories and all of the fun you had!
advrockrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 09:56 AM   #15
kitesurfer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,578
LFD, it's good that you were in a position to help her and give back to her for her earlier years supporting you. and many thanks for all that took the time to give this great lady some ADV. lLFD, i too am sorry for your loss