Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-28-2013, 03:45 AM   #16
foxtrapper
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 739
About 20 years ago, the speeding tickets started to taper off. These days, I sometimes find myself startled to realize I'm actually puttering through towns at less than the posted speed limit (gasp!).

It's not that I absolutely don't care about going fast, but I'm not obsessed with going fast all the time. Certainly on the track I want to go as fast as possible. I like winning. I may not win often, but I like the heck out of it when I do. But I've also thoroughly enjoyed puttering around on motorcycles enjoying the scenery. I'd rather slog along over a beautiful mountain pass, head swiveling to take in the scenery, than screaming through it focused on the roadway only. Generally speaking.
foxtrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 05:00 AM   #17
RFVC600R
SAND EATER!

Oddometer: 2,624
When I heard the clatter from a loose valve seat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carter Pewterschmidt View Post
He's the XL600 Jesus, his bike dies for our sins.
RFVC600R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 06:40 AM   #18
atomicalex
silly aluminum boxes

Oddometer: 2,617
Sometime after I started regularly tracking.
Old 06-28-2013, 07:40 AM   #19
NJ-Brett
Brett

Oddometer: 6,378
The number means nothing to me, its the FEEL of speed that turns me on.
I really enjoy a bike that feels really fast at lower speeds, and one I can abuse and get every last bit of performance out of, drafting, tucking in, working the shifter, planning ahead.

Small bikes rule for fun!
NJ-Brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 09:14 AM   #20
Lorretto
City Dweller Crushperado

Oddometer: 322
Mine comes and goes - license and registration please.
Lorretto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 12:48 PM   #21
Snapper
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,498
I've never been into the speed thing - it's purely about maximizing lateral Gs for me. I very much prefer the slower tighter technical twisties to the faster sweepers - you can generate the same lateral Gs, which by definition are proportional to lean angle, but the consequences of error are much lower and more in line with my risk/reward comfort level.

Skiing since childhood schooled me in the harsh laws of Newtonian physics where kinetic energy is proportional to the square of velocity. So if you double your velocity:
- it takes 4x the distance to brake to a complete stop
- if you loose traction and go down, you will slide 4x the distance (in a straight line).
- if you are so unlucky as to hit an immoveable object, it will be with 4x the force.
Old 06-28-2013, 01:05 PM   #22
JBSmith
Ink-stained wretch

Oddometer: 1,070
July 1, 1986, about 1 pm

Details, for those who care, in an old blog post at:

http://treadlife.blogspot.com/2009/0...straights.html

Cycle Guide Magazine The digital update of the print-era classic
JBSmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 10:07 PM   #23
Digasi
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2whl-hoop View Post
Call it getting old, but I really don't give a rip about going fast. I like carving nice arcs like on a board, but I could care less about times....
First time I went fast down a lonely stretch of road. Realized the fun is in the twisties. That and most of my fun comes from exploring.

Speed bug does bit me, so I do start to look at the track for speed. But be honest, it doesn't but me that hard to pull the trigger, yet.
Digasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 12:06 AM   #24
PalePhase
Humour Noir

Oddometer: 824
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBSmith View Post
Details, for those who care, in an old blog post at:

http://treadlife.blogspot.com/2009/0...straights.html
Jeez, Jerry! If you can get hurt that badly on a track without running into somebody else, that does not bode well for mucking it up on the street.

One of my former bosses told me his best friend had wanted to do a track day for years as a "safe" alternative to riding aggressively on the streets. His wife acquiesced to his request for a track day as a birthday present, and my boss said his friend was on top of the world when he got his bike on the track. 15 minutes later he was dead after high-siding. His wife saw it happen.

1995 Honda VF750CD
2002 Honda VFR800
PalePhase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 12:30 AM   #25
toy4fun
GET out of the way

Oddometer: 366
I like going a little fast mainly just over the speed limit. I find that it causes me to concentrate on what I am doing and i forget about old age, painting the house, paying the bills, if the annoying person at work will die anytime soon, or if the government is going to run out of money. As you get older things of the universe occupy your mind. Waste of time!
toy4fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 12:52 AM   #26
windmills
Gnearly Adventurer

Oddometer: 262
Yep, 99% of the time I really don't care about being fast.
Honestly, after all these years on bikes, I still love the sheer kinetic thrill of just riding. I find myself concentrating on being as smooth as I can nowadays...

And a big yeah! to a nice bendy bit of road. That is always where it has been at for me. But even when I get to these bits of road I get more enjoyment out of smoothness and good lines than scratching.

1% of the time, on an appropriate bit of road where I can see clear ahead, and with no side junctions, I might let her rip a bit.
Old 06-29-2013, 01:25 AM   #27
HyperPete
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 758
Every ride I enjoy the speed be it on the straights or bends, at one point, more often..I just do what feels good, that's usually way over any speed limits, the reason I got the 690 was so I could enjoy max revs without topping 200+kmh,I do miss those speeds and often dream Hyabusa etc.. :)
Old 06-29-2013, 01:55 AM   #28
navi
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 431
navi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 06:00 AM   #29
ozmoses
Ride On

Oddometer: 3,092
2003 or so I was skiing like a madman. Best season ever.

Had a pair of Rossignol bandits-the faster they went, the better they carved. I was skiing fast,even beating the ski team times on the clocked GS-style course.

Amazing year, right up until a freak wind blew me off the trail. Came to w/ a concussion,dislocated thumb,separated shoulder,etc.
As soon as the sling came off, cast still on, I was back on the hill. Skiing fast. Made me think,WTF?

So I began to ski more technically. That Spring marked my return to motorcycling after several bike-less years.

Guess what? I was riding fast. Too fast.Took me a while, finally made the same decision to ride more technically.

Older,wiser,etc.
Old 06-29-2013, 06:08 AM   #30
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer: 9,250
I prefer to ride fast through the twisties. Not sure why someone would think they are exclusive, I've always been told if you're doing it slow, you're doing it wrong. I figure if I get to the point where I'm only doing the speed limit, I may as well stop riding.

Another day, another foot injury!
Albie is offline   Reply With Quote