Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-29-2013, 05:14 AM   #31
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer: 8,800
Quote:
Originally Posted by PalePhase View Post
Jeez, Jerry! If you can get hurt that badly on a track without running into somebody else, that does not bode well for mucking it up on the street.

One of my former bosses told me his best friend had wanted to do a track day for years as a "safe" alternative to riding aggressively on the streets. His wife acquiesced to his request for a track day as a birthday present, and my boss said his friend was on top of the world when he got his bike on the track. 15 minutes later he was dead after high-siding. His wife saw it happen.
Every time you throw a leg over a motorcycle you risk a chance of ending up dead. Of course the same is true of stepping into the shower.

I've crashed at over 130 MPH on the track and walked away with a couple bruises. I was in a wreck on the street sitting still and ended up in the hospital for 2 months with a broken back. Shit happens and we don't get to control everything that happens to us.

Another day, another foot injury!
Albie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 07:13 AM   #32
JBSmith
Ink-stained wretch

Oddometer: 983
Quote:
Jeez, Jerry! If you can get hurt that badly on a track without running into somebody else, that does not bode well for mucking it up on the street.
Years riding: 45
Crashes on the track: 4
Crashes on the street: 0

I'll take my chances on the street, thanks.

Cycle Guide Magazine The digital update of the print-era classic
JBSmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 08:02 AM   #33
klaviator
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,616
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ-Brett View Post
The number means nothing to me, its the FEEL of speed that turns me on.
I really enjoy a bike that feels really fast at lower speeds, and one I can abuse and get every last bit of performance out of, drafting, tucking in, working the shifter, planning ahead.

Small bikes rule for fun!
There are a lot of good posts in this thread but this one best describes how I feel. I may be slowing down as I get older but I refuse to grow up or let the squid in me completely die. The bike I ride the most often is only 150cc and I ride the hell out of it. It may not be fast but it FEELS faster than it is.

klaviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 10:39 AM   #34
PalePhase
Humour Noir

Oddometer: 824
Quote:
Originally Posted by Albie View Post
Every time you throw a leg over a motorcycle you risk a chance of ending up dead. Of course the same is true of stepping into the shower.

I've crashed at over 130 MPH on the track and walked away with a couple bruises. I was in a wreck on the street sitting still and ended up in the hospital for 2 months with a broken back. Shit happens and we don't get to control everything that happens to us.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBSmith View Post
Years riding: 45
Crashes on the track: 4
Crashes on the street: 0

I'll take my chances on the street, thanks.
I'm not advocating a risk-free lifestyle. As I told a family member, I could take it to the other extreme and stay home in bed with the curtains drawn all day... and then die of bed sores. You just have to manage your risks, but you'll never eliminate it. The are simply more variables on the street and therefore there is less margin for error, at least where I live.

BTW, Albie, you must be psychic. I almost had a bad fall last night getting out of the shower. Foot hit the floor and went skating. No points for style, I'm afraid.

Forgot to add, JB, that a friend of mine low-sided at about 40 mph without hitting anything. I'm sure his gear was not as good as yours was, but when I read through your catalog of injuries, it was almost identical to his. But he's back in the saddle now.

1995 Honda VF750CD
2002 Honda VFR800
PalePhase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 10:59 AM   #35
Dirt Road Cowboy
Treasure Hunter

Oddometer: 388
When did I stop caring?

When I started reading ride reports, and seeing the pictures that people were taking of the places I rushed through at over 100 mph.

I kept wondering why I wasn't seeing all these great places, but I never slowed down to look.

Speed is fun, but a ride report that just says "1500 miles in 17 hours" isn't all that interesting.
66 CT200/Lifan 140 (Trail 90) Build Report
XR100 engine and misc. parts, waiting for the Mad Scientist treatment!
Dirt Road Cowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 11:00 AM   #36
Jacl-Kampuchea
Booze Merchant

Oddometer: 676
To paraphrase a man I hate - "It's not speed that kills, it's the sudden stopping"

I don't care how fast I go, and that means how slowly I drive sometimes and how fast I drive sometimes. I don't pay any attention to the speedo, at all.

Of course, I'm living in a country where speeding tickets have not yet become the fashion, let alone efficient traffic policing.

So I drive according to conditions and am fast, but not suicidally fast, a lot of the time. But sometimes I'm slow, slow - not like a tiger
Old 06-29-2013, 11:19 AM   #37
PalePhase
Humour Noir

Oddometer: 824
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Road Cowboy View Post
When did I stop caring?

When I started reading ride reports, and seeing the pictures that people were taking of the places I rushed through at over 100 mph.

I kept wondering why I wasn't seeing all these great places, but I never slowed down to look.

Speed is fun, but a ride report that just says "1500 miles in 17 hours" isn't all that interesting.
That may be the best reason of all.

1995 Honda VF750CD
2002 Honda VFR800
PalePhase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 01:03 PM   #38
glasswave
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 925
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2whl-hoop View Post
Call it getting old, but I really don't give a rip about going fast. I like carving nice arcs like on a board, but I could care less about times....
The only times I care about speed/making time is when I am trying to gobble up massive amounts of slab in order to reach a fun destination.....or perhaps the dirt road equivalent, like on ruta 40 in Patagonia.
• Peruvian Andes (3 months)
• N Chile - Medellin, Colombia (3 months) ••• Cartegena, CO to N Chile (3 months)
glasswave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 03:05 PM   #39
Frostback
Frostback

Oddometer: 218
Let me be contrary:

I do enjoy the game of rapid transit. I live in western Canada which has many hundreds of kilometers of straight roads before one hits mountaims or twisties. I have learned to try to edge-walk the radar by trying to AVERAGE 10% over the speed limit for a tank of gas at a time.

small pleasures.

Lee
Frostback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 06:10 PM   #40
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer: 8,800
Quote:

BTW, Albie, you must be psychic. I almost had a bad fall last night getting out of the shower. Foot hit the floor and went skating. No points for style, I'm afraid.
Ahhh but you do get survival points,

Another day, another foot injury!
Albie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 09:58 AM   #41
glasswave
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 925
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frostback View Post
I do enjoy the game of rapid transit. I live in western Canada which has many hundreds of kilometers of straight roads before one hits mountaims or twisties.
Where is this flat place in Western Canada that you speak of? Okanogan Valley???
glasswave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 01:07 PM   #42
Frostback
Frostback

Oddometer: 218
Glassware-

Edmonton of the pancake topography.

I consider anything west of the Sask border to be western Canada though.

Lee
Frostback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 05:48 AM   #43
Clockwatcher
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 507
My 2 cents..............

I have found that speed is relative.........45 mph on a gravel road feels faster and tests your skills more than 120 mph on the slab.
Try it you will like it.......just sayin.........
Clockwatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 06:12 AM   #44
4PawsHacienda
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 475
When I began to realize the journey was the reason.
4PawsHacienda is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 08:28 AM   #45
Prettyboy
BFLB

Oddometer: 471
Second answer, when I realized I could get over 80mpg if I showed a little restraint.
Prettyboy is online now   Reply With Quote