User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-27-2013, 10:57 PM   #1
montibank OP
Happy

Oddometer: 2,762
Early USA Model KTM 950s and Electronic Power Control

So I recently obtaind an 04 KTM 950 (USA model) - and to be completely honest was thoroughly unimpressed with power delivery. Granted it has some issues and I am working through them at my own pace. I have worked through some glitches and yes things are much better now (especially now that both cylinders are firing) - but power is still luke warm feeling.

A while back I stumbled on this information: http://www.ktm950.info/how/wotf/wotf...icPowerControl

Well... It is possible that my bike is one of these and perhaps my power delivery issues may be at least partially attributed to this little wonder of a contraption. The article does state if it has the EPC valves and in the US where not required one should remove them.

How?

Where are they located?

How can I confirm my bike does or does not have them?

Any suggestions appreciated. I realize there are a hundred other likely suspects/potential contributors to my disappointment, for now I have opted to table those and focus on this specific topic.

Thank you in advance,

Michael
montibank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 07:41 AM   #2
Goss
LC8 Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,350
If your EPC is still connected and functioning it will prevent full throttle openings in second and third gear. There are electronic valves and some tubing connected to the carbs. I removed the entire mess and expoxied the ports closed on the carb caps. Problem solved. Or you can unplug the valves for a quick fix but I highly recommend removing all of it. See link below.

http://www.ktm950.info/how/wotf/wotf.html

Forgot to mention that the manual has a good layout drawing of the system so you should be able to pull the tanks and take a look to see if you have it on your bike. If there are tubes connected to your black caps on your carbs then the system is still there.
Goss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 03:32 PM   #3
MortimerSickle
Semi-Adventurer

Oddometer: 11,834
Check your jetting to make sure the PO didn't go crazy rich. My used '04 was so rich, people riding behind me were telling me they could smell raw gas.

I had a big flat spot in mid-range that I have since lessened with leaner jets, but I am still trying to get it just right.

I miss round headlights.

"When I was a young man, I liked to race my horse...." -
G.H.W.S. 1878-1962
MortimerSickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 03:58 PM   #4
montibank OP
Happy

Oddometer: 2,762
Funny you mention that... Mine WAS crazy rich... I dropped the needles and adjusted the air mixture screws and that helped tremendously. Still havent monkeyed with the main jets because I hadnt decided what to do about the exhaust situation yet. And really... Who needs WFO ... I mean really right? :p

Thanks for the info from your descriptions I think the power valves might be out but I'll have to take another look.
montibank is offline   Reply With Quote