User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-07-2013, 12:53 PM   #1
jecklc80 OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 73
KTM hard parts exhaust

I just got a 2005 950 adventure and it has KTM Brand hard parts aftermarket exhaust. Has anyone else had any experience with these? I believe they only offered them for one year.

I'm not sure what the jetting is, I've yet to tear it down and see but my fuel consumption seems somewhat poor at about 26mpg on the last tank with moderate driving.

It starts and idles fine and seems to run ok but I do smell fuel when it is sitting and idling. Does that mean it is running a little rich?

Thanks for your input.
jecklc80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 01:17 PM   #2
MortimerSickle
Semi-Adventurer

Oddometer: 11,597
Unless that mileage was mostly on two-track, it is not somewhat poor, it is horribly bad. If two-track it is just plain bad.

Before I rejetted, I was getting high 20s to low 30s off-pavement, and mid to high 30s on pavement. People riding behind me would tell me they could smell gas.

I found the PO had installed 172/175 jets. I am still trying to find the best jetting, but my mileage has already improved to high 30s on two-track, and low 40s to high 40s on pavement.

I miss round headlights.

"When I was a young man, I liked to race my horse...." -
G.H.W.S. 1878-1962
MortimerSickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 02:15 PM   #3
jecklc80 OP
Adventurer

Yeah I came from a KLR so I knew I was going to take a hit in the mpg dept. but I didn't think it should be 1/2 of what the KLR got. I'm going to call the shop that installed the exhaust and see if they know what jets they put in so I know where I'm at then that will give me a better idea of where to go from there.
Old 07-07-2013, 06:38 PM   #4
Orangecicle
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,067
Quote:
Originally Posted by jecklc80 View Post
I just got a 2005 950 adventure and it has KTM Brand hard parts aftermarket exhaust. Has anyone else had any experience with these? I believe they only offered them for one year.

I'm not sure what the jetting is, I've yet to tear it down and see but my fuel consumption seems somewhat poor at about 26mpg on the last tank with moderate driving.

It starts and idles fine and seems to run ok but I do smell fuel when it is sitting and idling. Does that mean it is running a little rich?

Thanks for your input.
KTM sold an aftermarket exhaust in KTM stores in the first year or so in the US. The exhausts were made by Gualdi. I have them on my June 2004 build KTM. They look and sound great and hold up forever. They do not have cats in them, so you don't need the SAS on the bike (if it's still there).

You'll need to get into the carbs and see what jetting it has. Jetting depends on elevation, humidity, and particulars of the bike. Some people have put in 45 idle jets made by Factory Pro. I could not make those work on my bike and switched back to the 42s. I have 990R cams in my 950, and I've gone to 162/168 main jets. I was at 160/165.

Probably the thing that has helped me with idle setup are remote FlexJet2 IMS adjusters. Tuning your idle without those things is nearly impossible.

I would be that your bike starts perfectly without ever needing choke, right? The bike should need a touch of choke to start in pretty much any weather condition. If it starts now without choke, she's rich on idle. There could be a bunch of reasons for that, but it's probably the idle jets.

I get 36 mpg very consistently. During a recent top-end rebuild I leaned out the floats back to stock (3mm) and put the needles back to stock (2nd position from the end). Mileage hasn't changed, but the bike now runs hot below 3K RPM, which tells me that it is too lean in that RPM range, so I'll be going back on those changes.

Orangecicle screwed with this post 07-07-2013 at 06:45 PM
Orangecicle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 07:54 PM   #5
jecklc80 OP
Adventurer

Man....thanks for the in-depth response. Very helpful.

You're like a KTM 950 encyclopedia, I think you've responded to all of my questions so far.

I will probably tear into it next weekend.

I've heard some guys had success just adjusting the needle position too, have you found that to be true?
Old 07-07-2013, 08:01 PM   #6
jecklc80 OP
Adventurer

Also, where did you purchase your flexjet 2 adjuster?
Old 07-09-2013, 02:41 AM   #7
Orangecicle
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,067
Quote:
Also, where did you purchase your flexjet 2 adjuster?
I had my needles on the middle clip position and liked that position the best.

I forget where I bought my FlexJet2s. Here's a link to a pair: http://www.ktm-parts.com/mm5/merchan...g#.UdvajxY-I70
Orangecicle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 03:14 PM   #8
jecklc80 OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangecicle View Post
You'll need to get into the carbs and see what jetting it has. Jetting depends on elevation, humidity, and particulars of the bike. Some people have put in 45 idle jets made by Factory Pro. I could not make those work on my bike and switched back to the 42s. I have 990R cams in my 950, and I've gone to 162/168 main jets. I was at 160/165.

I would be that your bike starts perfectly without ever needing choke, right? The bike should need a touch of choke to start in pretty much any weather condition. If it starts now without choke, she's rich on idle. There could be a bunch of reasons for that, but it's probably the idle jets.
Well I talked to the shop that did the work before I bought the bike.

They said that they moved the rear jet to the front and put a 165 on the rear, so it should be 160/165 for the main jets. I don't believe that they changed the idle jets.

It has an idle adjuster that hangs down on the left side of the engine it's not the flexjet type but it does allow me to adjust the idle without tearing into things, but I believe there is only one, not two like the flexjet2.

Could this be right? how would one screw adjust both carbs?
Old 07-10-2013, 03:29 PM   #9
MortimerSickle
Semi-Adventurer

Quote:

It has an idle adjuster that hangs down on the left side of the engine it's not the flexjet type but it does allow me to adjust the idle without tearing into things, but I believe there is only one, not two like the flexjet2.

That would be the idle speed adjustment. It is stock.

160/165 with 42 idle jets is what I am running right now. I don't think it is perfect, but it is much better than the 172/175 and 45 idle it had when I got it. So, maybe you have something beyond mixture giving you trouble.

One other thing I did while rejetting was to check my TPS. It was off, but I adjusted it in the middle of my rejetting project, so I don't know how much, if at all it affected mileage, but it did make it run better.

I have the 990 engine, but with non-R cams, and a K&N filter. So, ideal mixture for mine might be different from ideal mixture for yours.

I miss round headlights.

G.H.W.S. 1878-1962

MortimerSickle screwed with this post 07-10-2013 at 03:34 PM
Old 07-10-2013, 04:07 PM   #10
jecklc80 OP
Adventurer

Sorry for my ignorance but what is tps? Throttle position sensor?

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2
Old 07-10-2013, 04:15 PM   #11
MortimerSickle
Semi-Adventurer

Quote:
Sorry for my ignorance but what is tps? Throttle position sensor?

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2
Yes.

Zuber talks about it on this page: http://www.ktm950.info/how/wotf/wotf.html

I miss round headlights.

G.H.W.S. 1878-1962
Old 07-19-2013, 05:44 PM   #12
jecklc80 OP
Adventurer

New Info

Just found out from the dealership I purchased from that the PO installed a switch inside of the glove box that controls the low octane fuel ignition option. I've had the switch turned off which I believe would be for low octane fuel. But I've been putting premium in it. Could this be causing some of my poor gas mileage?
Old 07-19-2013, 07:53 PM   #13
MortimerSickle
Semi-Adventurer

Quote:
Just found out from the dealership I purchased from that the PO installed a switch inside of the glove box that controls the low octane fuel ignition option. I've had the switch turned off which I believe would be for low octane fuel. But I've been putting premium in it. Could this be causing some of my poor gas mileage?
I have run mine on the low setting only a couple of times (using regular fuel.)

I did not check the mileage, but I did notice an increase in decel popping.

I miss round headlights.

G.H.W.S. 1878-1962