Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-04-2013, 12:55 PM   #16
Jayrod1318
Poster

Oddometer: 1,552
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexBiker View Post
But impossible to insure. If you have an accident, the VIN will show it to be an illegally imported street bike. And much unpleasantness will ensue.

You may have something there.
Old 07-13-2013, 09:39 PM   #17
thesurvivalist OP
Backcountry Rider

Oddometer: 552
I don't know, I was riding with someone today on a licensed honda dirt bike. Im pretty sure it was insured.
thesurvivalist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 04:54 AM   #18
Newfiebullet
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 193
Would love to hear if it's possible to bring one into Canada. I'm kind of puzzled as to why it would be for sale in Mexico but not the US or Canada. I imagine it has to do with the price they'd have to ask for it, but with the growing popularity of adventure riding, it seems like a no-brainer for Yamaha to bring the XT to North America.
Newfiebullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 05:10 AM   #19
montesa_vr
Legend in his own mind

Oddometer: 2,076
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newfiebullet View Post
I imagine it has to do with the price they'd have to ask for it, but with the growing popularity of adventure riding, it seems like a no-brainer for Yamaha to bring the XT to North America.
The Tenere is a KLR alternative that is even heavier than the KLR and not particularly more powerful. Some people think it is better looking. Yamaha doesn't believe the US market will pay an extra $2000 plus for a better looking KLR. So they will not spend the millions to have it certified in the US.

"I am used to people like you who like to hide on the internet" -- tHEtREV

Hiding on the internet since 2006!
montesa_vr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 01:42 PM   #20
Reposado1800
Juicy J fan!

Oddometer: 5,740
Quote:
Originally Posted by montesa_vr View Post
The Tenere is a KLR alternative that is even heavier than the KLR and not particularly more powerful. Some people think it is better looking. Yamaha doesn't believe the US market will pay an extra $2000 plus for a better looking KLR. So they will not spend the millions to have it certified in the US.
This. It might be more reliable and better quality but not enough difference to go through those hoops to get one. I bet some overseas soldier has brought one back that might be for sale somewhere.
Old 07-14-2013, 02:39 PM   #21
Wargasm
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 175
It's emissions. Same reason you could buy a new air cooled VW beetle that was identical to the last year they were sold here. They didn't/don't meet Can/US emissions testing. You can buy a Four Door Ford Ranger in Mexico too, might sell like hot cakes here, but doesn't meet side impact regulations. I think there is a twelve year limit to importing vehicles, have to check with the tuner boys importing all the JDM Nissan Skylines and Toyota Supras. But you still need to get it tested and certified and it has to pass all requirements as per the year of it's manufacture.

In Canada there is a Chief Motor Vehicle inspector in each province, he's an engineer and he's the guy that inspects vehicles that have been altered, such as chopped and raked motorcycle frames, lift kits that aren't pre-certified, etc. and any vehicles that are imported. Motorcycles are pretty easy, at least here in New Brunswick. Basically as long as it has headlight, tail/brake light, turn signals, horn and a place to mount a plate it's good to go. If they can be imported for cheap it could be worth it. I know there's a guy in town here that owns a Trans-Alp, maybe I'll track him down and ask him what he did.
Wargasm is offline   Reply With Quote