User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-12-2015, 05:23 PM   #1
mallorypaige OP
n00b

Oddometer: 9
Sidecar for Dog - Advice Needed

Going after my dream of motorcycle and sidecar with my dog (awesome lab named Baylor). Don't have much motorcycle knowledge, so I'm trying to learn as much as possible.

First off, would love opinions on what rig to get. Don't need anything fancy and hope to avoid spending an exorbitant amount. Like dirt roads and off the beaten path locations, adventures and the style of older things (previously dog and I traveled around the US in 1973 VW campervan).

Thoughts on this Factory MZ hack - http://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/mcy/4833460540.html
mallorypaige is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 05:40 PM   #2
Ivan Rider
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 601
Seen that rig posted before. It's not something I'd want but for the price the sidecar alone is worth it. Parts may be hard to find for that bike as not many made it to the USA.
'08 Ural Retro, '10 Ural ST Solo
http://www.flickr.com/photo s/ivanrider/
Ivan Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 05:56 PM   #3
DRONE
Dog Chauffeur

Oddometer: 3,783
Are you handy with tools, or prefer repairs made by others?

In other words, Ural or Honda?
Old 01-12-2015, 06:04 PM   #4
davebig
Another Angry Hun !

Oddometer: 3,656
Quote:
Originally Posted by mallorypaige View Post
Going after my dream of motorcycle and sidecar with my dog (awesome lab named Baylor). Don't have much motorcycle knowledge, so I'm trying to learn as much as possible.

First off, would love opinions on what rig to get. Don't need anything fancy and hope to avoid spending an exorbitant amount. Like dirt roads and off the beaten path locations, adventures and the style of older things (previously dog and I traveled around the US in 1973 VW campervan).

Thoughts on this Factory MZ hack - http://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/mcy/4833460540.html
Do you have allot of mechanical aptitude ? That particular MZ is much changed and would probably need attention. I guess I would look for someone who has one ask them to teach you a bit about them and perhaps try some parking lot maneuvering if you like it maybe find a sidecar course and go from there.
http://wilmington.craigslist.org/mcy/4799861605.html
Old 01-12-2015, 09:46 PM   #5
Prmurat
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 981
You should have no problem with this MZ: the engine is made by Rotax and tons of parts are available (dirt track etc). The Velorex maybe a little old but they used to be strong (but for the axle). At that price it can be an interesting project!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Prmurat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 10:25 PM   #6
redfishguide
Old Dirt Biker

Oddometer: 475
This story sounds familiar lets see dog, dirt roads, vintage, cheap maybe you should take a look at my build. Just saying

Jack

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=980501

I used to Scramble now I just Amble
redfishguide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 02:00 AM   #7
barrymcki
Adventurer

Oddometer: 28
One thing to seriously consider, is how will Baylor get in and out of the sidecar.

Ideally you'd want a rig where he can just step in/out. Being a larger dog you don't really want to be lifting him or have him jumping over the side to get in/out.
barrymcki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 06:39 AM   #8
Bobmws
Curmudgeon At Large

Oddometer: 1,293
Quote:
Originally Posted by mallorypaige View Post

I'd recommend you take a S/TEP training course so you have an idea of how a rig operates before you make a decision to purchase.
A KLR with a light car (Velorex) or cargo box may work well for you. The bike is relatively cheap and reliable, the sidecar may depend on your dog's ability to get in & out.
www.earplugco.com
Bobmws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 07:26 AM   #9
jaydmc
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,050
I had one of these Silver star Gespan bikes, in fact I have owned the same bike 3 times now. Fun little bike however chances are if you intend to travel with it you will out grow the bike, it is a small bike not only in engine size but overall it fits smaller people, my wife loved the rig, I felt like I was on a kids bike.
The bike in question has been for sale for a very long time. It clearly has been in an accident as it has the wrong body on the sidecar and of course the fuel tank is wrong, what else is wrong with it? Any thing bent? The basic bike is a reliable bike however not sure what the parts situation is for these.
If the price is right, buy it, enjoy it, find what you like about sidecars and what you wish was different, once you have out grown it, if you buy it right you should be able to get your money back out of it, then when you go for your next rig you will know what you want in a rig and can take your time either finding it or building it.
As you are looking at a bike in Portland chances are you are not all that far from us. If you want to come by the shop I can show you a bunch of rigs, go over them and help you figure out what to look for. Also snow camp is this weekend at MT Rainier. Some of my employee's will be there and they will be allowing test rides in the hopefully snow covered parking lot on our 2014 R1200GSA / Expedition rig.

Jay G
DMC sidecars
www.dmcsidecars.com
866-638-1793
2328 Roosevelt ave
Enumclaw WA
jaydmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 11:15 AM   #10
568V8
Ontario Vstrommer

Oddometer: 199
BMW, yellow sidecar with Barley the dog

search up travelswithbarley.com
It's a great well written blog
568V8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 02:16 PM   #11
mallorypaige OP
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by redfishguide View Post
This story sounds familiar lets see dog, dirt roads, vintage, cheap maybe you should take a look at my build. Just saying

Jack

That's amazing, Jack! You're rig is amazing. Will definitely be referring to your hack a lot as I plan. Thanks!
Old 01-13-2015, 02:21 PM   #12
mallorypaige OP
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaydmc View Post
I had one of these Silver star Gespan bikes, in fact I have owned the same bike 3 times now. Fun little bike however chances are if you intend to travel with it you will out grow the bike, it is a small bike not only in engine size but overall it fits smaller people, my wife loved the rig, I felt like I was on a kids bike.
The bike in question has been for sale for a very long time. It clearly has been in an accident as it has the wrong body on the sidecar and of course the fuel tank is wrong, what else is wrong with it? Any thing bent? The basic bike is a reliable bike however not sure what the parts situation is for these.
If the price is right, buy it, enjoy it, find what you like about sidecars and what you wish was different, once you have out grown it, if you buy it right you should be able to get your money back out of it, then when you go for your next rig you will know what you want in a rig and can take your time either finding it or building it.
As you are looking at a bike in Portland chances are you are not all that far from us. If you want to come by the shop I can show you a bunch of rigs, go over them and help you figure out what to look for. Also snow camp is this weekend at MT Rainier. Some of my employee's will be there and they will be allowing test rides in the hopefully snow covered parking lot on our 2014 R1200GSA / Expedition rig.

Jay G
DMC sidecars
www.dmcsidecars.com
866-638-1793
2328 Roosevelt ave
Enumclaw WA
Thanks, Jay! I live in Bend, OR and would love to come by the shop and discuss options. I'll be in touch soon.
Old 01-13-2015, 02:24 PM   #13
mallorypaige OP
n00b

Thanks everyone for the great feedback! Great tips to consider how Baylor gets in and out and availability of parts.
Old 01-13-2015, 02:25 PM   #14
Vin
Addict

Oddometer: 191
Katoom

Sell the dog. Buy a KTM.
Vin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 02:28 PM   #15
mallorypaige OP
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRONE View Post
Are you handy with tools, or prefer repairs made by others?

In other words, Ural or Honda?
I'm not super handy yet, but excited to learn. I had a vw van and happily taught myself to do basic upkeep and maintenance.

Do you have thoughts on bikes that are simpler to work on myself or best willing-to-learn-novices?

Thanks!