ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Central From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-04-2013, 08:09 PM   #61
Lutz
Killer Rabbit

Oddometer: 1,251
Quote:
Originally Posted by toadl View Post
Unfortunately, I'm out. ... The Minnesota crew is going to be pretty lame. ...
Yeah, I'm rapidly heading toward Lame Street myself. It seems I have those damn grown up responsibilities creeping in on every almost every bit of my time this year. God damn priorities!
Lutz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 09:26 PM   #62
gregg
gregg

Oddometer: 177
The Host & Hostess are ready

Things are put away, beds are made, M&M's are in the jars, we just need riders to fill in. Will miss all that are unable to make it, but we understand. There is always next year or just another time, house is always available. Can't wait to see those that can make it and meet some new riders. Weather has been great, except for one day of baseball size hail last weekend when we were gone to see the old tractors in Mt. Pleasant, Iowa. Now it's time to see old friends and have new adventures.
gregg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 07:20 AM   #63
Jon B.
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 580
I may have to get on my knees and beg Mrs. B. to let me go on this ride... Stay tuned. I do have a bunch of vacation time stored up - more than I can use, typically.

I haven't burned up the clutch on the DRZ yet, so maybe this is an opportunity to try. ;-)

Jon

'05 DRZ 400E Titled/Plated
Jon B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 07:55 AM   #64
Lutz
Killer Rabbit

Do it!
Old 09-06-2013, 02:59 PM   #65
toadl
toadl

Oddometer: 839
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon B. View Post
I may have to get on my knees and beg Mrs. B. to let me go on this ride... Stay tuned. I do have a bunch of vacation time stored up - more than I can use, typically.

I haven't burned up the clutch on the DRZ yet, so maybe this is an opportunity to try. ;-)

Jon
Interesting. I do have a spare DRZ complete clutch I could throw in to help cover gas money in case yours does burn up.
Old 09-06-2013, 06:48 PM   #66
tannerc OP
Pig Pilot

Oddometer: 278
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lutz View Post
Do it!
tannerc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 08:24 AM   #67
Jon B.
Studly Adventurer

I'm in - with a caveat: If I can share the expense with one or two others. As I offered last year, I have a pickup with 8-foot box and a 16-foot car hauler. Truck will seat 4 (extended cab; not 4-door) if the rear seat pax are average or smaller in size. I guess we can switch seats to alleviate the discomfort...

Who's in need of transporatation? ToadL? Tbickner? Bueller? Anyone?

I won't ask SSgB yet. No need to get him in trouble.

Jon B.

Old 09-07-2013, 03:34 PM   #68
tannerc OP
Pig Pilot

Oddometer: 278
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon B. View Post
I'm in - with a caveat: If I can share the expense with one or two others. As I offered last year, I have a pickup with 8-foot box and a 16-foot car hauler. Truck will seat 4 (extended cab; not 4-door) if the rear seat pax are average or smaller in size. I guess we can switch seats to alleviate the discomfort...

Who's in need of transporatation? ToadL? Tbickner? Bueller? Anyone?

I won't ask SSgB yet. No need to get him in trouble.

Jon B.

WhooooHoooo!
tannerc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 02:39 PM   #69
Jon B.
Studly Adventurer

No "whooot" yet. I don't know if I can justify a thousand miles
of driving for a couple days of riding. I'm thinking it's unlikely
that I'll make it. It would be a load of fun but it's 300 miles too
far away. I, too, am gonna take the lame route. Sorry.

Jon

Old 09-09-2013, 08:01 AM   #70
ZIGGYND
Adventurer

Oddometer: 76
Finally got all the bits and pieces for my forks and have reassembled everything. Trip to the Hills is looking much brighter for me.
They seem to be working well after a short test run, but I've got a question on oil level. The klx has upside down kayaba forks and I'm a bit confused as to how to properly measure the correct level of oil. I'll try to explain. There are a couple pass through holes between the inner and outer tubes toward the top of inner tube. .When adding the oil, (no spring installed and outer tube fully compressed) do you fill the oil only in the inner tube...or...allow the space between tubes to fill via said holes (holes are above final oil level), then remove excess from inner tube only? A different final oil level is acheived by doing it both ways. (more oil when filling space between tubes).
I filled the outer tubes via passthrough holes and think I have too much oil. Should I pull them apart and pull excess out to bring to proper level? Any help greatly appreciated.
ZIGGYND is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 11:42 AM   #71
Lutz
Killer Rabbit

I'll check my KLX250S manual when I get home...I'm not sure if it will clarify the issue or not. Hopefully it does, because I really need to do a fork seal change in the near future.
Old 09-09-2013, 01:31 PM   #72
ZIGGYND
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lutz View Post
I'll check my KLX250S manual when I get home...I'm not sure if it will clarify the issue or not. Hopefully it does, because I really need to do a fork seal change in the near future.
That's where I started out, blown fork seal. I've got the manual also...didn't seem very clear to me anyways. Did some searching and just not too sure which way is correct.
Thanks for checking, maybe you can make more sense of it than I can. By the way, seal change not to hard if you've got a 14mm Hex. I made the special 4 prong tool and used a PVC adaptor cut in half for a seal driver. Pretty straight forward. Let me know if you run into any problems when you get around to it.
Old 09-09-2013, 05:39 PM   #73
Lutz
Killer Rabbit

Final oil level in inner and outer tubes should be the same. As you draw from the inner tube, the oil from the outer tube should run in, slowly equalizing the levels. Keep drawing oil out of the inner tube until no more runs in from the outer, and both tubes are at the correct oil height.
Now get that thing together and report how the new damping works!
Old 09-09-2013, 08:21 PM   #74
ZIGGYND
Adventurer

It is still together, and I think I did it correctly.
Since I still have the 07 fork I tried an experiment with H20. I believe the only stabilizing path for the oil between the inner and outer tubes is the hole above the final oil level. That being said, I filled the inner tube past the hole and added more water till the outer tube was full up to the hole (equalized). I then removed liquid until the proper height was reached in the inner tube. No additional equalization occurred after ten minutes. The height in the outer tube remained at the hole level. That's when I reassembled mine the first and hopefully the last time.
Here's where I get lost. Now if you raise the outer tube up, the liquid gets dumped through the hole into the inner raising the inner level by over 2 inches, but still well below the hole. Again it never equalizes, the outer tube remains dry. Maybe with the spring installed it raises the level past the hole and refills the outer tube?
Sorry, Maybe I'm just over analyzing this. I tend to do that.
Old 09-09-2013, 09:49 PM   #75
dufferv65
yeeHa

Oddometer: 45
Question Got the itch...

Been itching like mad to do sum more riding again. To make matters even worse, been watching some neat Youtube videos to soothe the with draws! And I stumbled across this fun video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HnbffeD2GvY
Who knew the Xr makes such a great excavator!
Anyone up for joining me in the first anmual stunt show? It going to be called "Toadl Chaos"!!

P.S. Following after the show, there will be a JB weld how to Clinic!!