User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-23-2013, 11:20 AM   #16
RTLover
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,422
MJ,

Hope you had a successful stint this year. I suppose you're already booked into Andermatt for next year. I rode down to Garda at the beginning of July. Dunno how you can deal with having a few thousand select friends on the roads all at the same time.
Old 07-23-2013, 11:41 AM   #17
MichaelJ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,134
Quote:
Originally Posted by RTLover View Post
Hope you had a successful stint this year. I suppose you're already booked into Andermatt for next year.
Pretty good - here's my Spot track. Go to "Adjustments" on the left, set History to "All" and click on "Go" to see the entire thing - missing the day from Trento to the Veneto (forgot to turn it on). About 5500 kms, including an ugly 600 km from Austria to Heidelberg via Autobahn - so 4900 kms of good riding.

I probably won't be back to Andermatt - looks like it's going to be a very crowded small town after all of the new construction. The new hotel looks like someone set an HO building down on an N Scale layout. Huge.

And yeah - Garda can be a zoo. The road on the west side is a lot better.
Pictures, pictures and more pictures
MichaelJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 01:55 AM   #18
furbo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelJ View Post
Pretty good - here's my Spot track. Go to "Adjustments" on the left, set History to "All" and click on "Go" to see the entire thing - missing the day from Trento to the Veneto (forgot to turn it on). About 5500 kms, including an ugly 600 km from Austria to Heidelberg via Autobahn - so 4900 kms of good riding.

I probably won't be back to Andermatt - looks like it's going to be a very crowded small town after all of the new construction. The new hotel looks like someone set an HO building down on an N Scale layout. Huge.

And yeah - Garda can be a zoo. The road on the west side is a lot better.
Andermatt is getting popular....thanks Mr. Herman. Havent seen the new ghotel you speak of, but havent been there this year either. Usually stay at the Bergidyl as its clean and they speak Italian. Have stayed at Wassen, the base of the Susten pass (not as charming, but cheaper), and am thinking to try Hospentaal or one of the small towns on the E side of the Oberalp, if you have any experience with them.

Looking at your route map, theres some great roads in the Black forest and Schwasbisch Alb S. of Stuttgart. I travelk to Kaiserslaghtern regularly for work and usually go Garmisch-Kepmten-Sigmaringen-Tuttlingen, then hit the AB 5 North. V nice ride along the Donau river out of Sig.

Highly recommend the Rhone Alps along the tri border of Italy/France/Swizterland. Virutally empty compared with the Dolomites/Sella group area. just avoid the Tour deFrance dates!
furbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 03:18 AM   #19
MichaelJ
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by furbo View Post
Highly recommend the Rhone Alps along the tri border of Italy/France/Swizterland. Virutally empty compared with the Dolomites/Sella group area. just avoid the Tour de France dates!
And Bastille Day

I've spend a couple of trips in the Rhone Alpes hitting the high passes and the Vercours area. I need a more dirt-oriented bike to ride a lot of the "roads" that I want, though.
Old 07-25-2013, 11:31 PM   #20
RTLover
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Andermatt is getting popular....thanks Mr. Herman. Havent seen the new ghotel you speak of, but havent been there this year either.
I passed by Andermatt a few weeks ago, coming from Furka, went around the town on the north side and noticed a huge gray ghost of a structure. At first I thought it was a new waste water treatment facility under construction. Then I remembered the new billion dollar baby that will be there. It may bring in those with deep pockets but IMO the Alpine atmosphere is going to suffer.
Old 07-26-2013, 03:35 AM   #21
MichaelJ
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTLover View Post
Then I remembered the new billion dollar baby that will be there. It may bring in those with deep pockets but IMO the Alpine atmosphere is going to suffer.
Suffer

You DO have a talent for understatement.

But at least the grey monstrosity took your eyes away from the huge Hotel Chedi (between the train station & the Oberalp turnoff).
Old 07-26-2013, 08:16 AM   #22
RTLover
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Suffer

You DO have a talent for understatement.

But at least the grey monstrosity took your eyes away from the huge Hotel Chedi (between the train station & the Oberalp turnoff).

I was in shock.
Old 07-29-2013, 06:48 PM   #23
Cara Pálida
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 244
Hi guys!

can anyone tell me if the passos are still open in november (9 to 15)???
Or it's to late?

I'm planning to go to the EICMA (Milan) and then go for a ride (in real, an re-ride, I was there in september 2012).

Is it doable on motorcycle at that month?

Thanks!

Abr.,
CP!

Cara Pálida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 01:37 AM   #24
GiorgioXT
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,355
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cara Pálida View Post
Hi guys!

can anyone tell me if the passos are still open in november (9 to 15)???
Or it's to late?

I'm planning to go to the EICMA (Milan) and then go for a ride (in real, an re-ride, I was there in september 2012).

Is it doable on motorcycle at that month?

Thanks!

Abr.,
CP!
A part Stelvio, Timmelsjoch, Stallersattel , the rest will be open . Riding could be very nice -even if cold- in good weather or could be wet and snowy. check the weather at http://www.arpa.veneto.it/previsioni...o_dolomiti.php thats the most reliable for the area.
DRZ400 S '03 XT600 '90 XT550 '82 XT500 '81 - giorgioxt@email.it - www.polverosi.org - EchM#645
"se sei incerto tieni APERTO !
GiorgioXT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 05:54 AM   #25
Cara Pálida
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 244
Thank you, Giorgio!

Abr.,
CP!

Cara Pálida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 04:06 AM   #26
furbo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 103
November is gamble in the Alps.

Better chances if you enjoy the EICMA, then go South and explore the Apennines. I like the Northern ranges in Liguria and Tuscany.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apennine_Mountains

http://www.mototurismodoc.com/mototurismo/Toscana.php

I've lived here for almost 20yrs, have only seen snow twice in the Apennines in November. Far less commercial development there than in the Dolomite/Adamello/Ortler regions in far N Italy.

You WILL get lost....and enjoy it.
furbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 02:34 PM   #27
MichaelJ
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
November is gamble in the Alps.
July can be a gamble in the Alps.

The main Dolomite roads will be open - barring fresh snowfall. The bikers will all be gone and the skiers won't be there yet. And rooms will be cheap. If it gets too cold, you're just a half hour or so from the Po Valley and warmer climes.

Quote:
You WILL get lost....and enjoy it.
All the more reason for a GPS. Not to navigate by, but to save your daily tracks to revisit later in a "so THAT'S where I was" session.

I dump my GPS daily to my laptop and transfer the tracks to Google Earth. Neat toy.

Regarding getting lost - Europe is compact, and you just can't get all that lost.
Old 08-06-2013, 01:06 AM   #28
glitch_oz
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,649
Quote:
All the more reason for a GPS. Not to navigate by, but to save your daily tracks to revisit later in a "so THAT'S where I was" session.
I dump my GPS daily to my laptop and transfer the tracks to Google Earth. Neat toy.
Depends on the type of travel done, too.
I mainly travel with a small group of friends and found MP3 players/ GPS's/intercoms /rest of the electronic toys, an absolute annoyance and group-killer with everyone crawling into their little corner once off the bikes and into their accomodation to play with their Dinky-toys.
"The fascination of the screen"...any screen, anywhere...is a powerfull one and kills all enthusiasm, post-ride emotionals etc.
No talk, no laughs, no bubbling gestures...just dull faces concentrated on
4x3" screens and a half-dozen buttons, entirely absorbed by menus and coloured little bits.

No GPS's/digital junk/screens of any sort on my rides anymore....it's a beer/vino, a map, a pointing finger/real people with real faces/ locals/ other travellers and LOTS of laughs and comments instead.

The 100's of pics will jog the memory of where I was that day...

Jeez, I'm getting old...

www.AusTouring.com
A Dozen Years Of Adventures
glitch_oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 03:40 AM   #29
MichaelJ
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by glitch_oz View Post
Agree.

I ride solo, and this process takes me 5 minutes at the end of the day - usually in conjunction with "planning" the next day's ride - which entails PC-based maps as well as (gasp!) paper maps.

I've noticed that with any group activity the time taken to perform a task increases with the square of the number of participants.

At some point, you can get a group so large that the first riders have given up and gone back to sleep by the time the last ones are roused.

Herding cats comes to mind...
Old 08-06-2013, 05:26 AM   #30
RTLover
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by glitch_oz View Post
I mainly travel with a small group of friends and found MP3 players/ GPS's/intercoms /rest of the electronic toys, an absolute annoyance and group-killer with everyone crawling into their little corner once off the bikes and into their accomodation to play with their Dinky-toys.
"The fascination of the screen"...any screen, anywhere...is a powerfull one and kills all enthusiasm, post-ride emotionals etc.
No talk, no laughs, no bubbling gestures...just dull faces concentrated on
4x3" screens and a half-dozen buttons, entirely absorbed by menus and coloured little bits.

No GPS's/digital junk/screens of any sort on my rides anymore....it's a beer/vino, a map, a pointing finger/real people with real faces/ locals/ other travellers and LOTS of laughs and comments instead.

The 100's of pics will jog the memory of where I was that day...

Jeez, I'm getting old...

If you can count to 1, that's all you need to determine the ideal number in the group. I gave up years ago with 'riding buddies'. Weak bladders, going too fast, get tired easily, don't want the bike to get rained on, a pillion has to stretch her/his legs because she/he has been on the bike for over a half hour......

Not old, wiser.