Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-05-2013, 07:16 AM   #16
bungie4
Frostback

Oddometer: 465
Quote:
Originally Posted by yamafitter View Post
Sunday we did the Dual Sport ride and since Paul & I were the only two with GPS we took the lead. In between the two of us were able to stay out of downtown Ottawa.
I was gonna suggest that the Northern FODS contingent get together for this one, but then I noticed theirs a possibility of riding through Ottawa. Count me out! ROFL!

It'd make a for a good couple of weeks, this, then EOM.

2013 FJR1300, 2004 FJR1300, 2013 CRF250L
I have a job, I explore, I follow every little whiff.
On/Offroad help when you need it - http://www.assistancelist.com
bungie4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 08:24 AM   #17
TDY OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 194
I'll make a special version of the GPS file just for yamafitter. It would have to include Bank St. 417, and everyone's favourite King Edward Ave.
'08 CRF100F (no trail too tight)
TDY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 08:36 AM   #18
TDY OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Accommodations?

On a more serious note, how would everyone like to deal with accommodations for this event in the future. For this year it may be too late with everyone all over the place as we scramble for the last of the hotel rooms but I keep thinking we should point all the D-S riders to one location and perhaps invite riders to share rooms if they'd like to save a few dollars. That way the D-S riders could hang out and party together when not riding or attending the Banquet. Just a thought.
Old 07-05-2013, 10:50 AM   #19
Berger
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 691
I am really trying to make the Boogie, so I was curious as to the size of the trails? I have ridden many trails in the area on the Ural, just curious on whether they are single track or not?

Berger screwed with this post 07-05-2013 at 11:01 AM
Berger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 11:50 AM   #20
TDY OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by UralBerger View Post
I am really trying to make the Boogie, so I was curious as to the size of the trails? I have ridden many trails in the area on the Ural, just curious on whether they are single track or not?
Cool! We've never had a sidehack on the Boogie before. The ride doesn't use any single track other than the occasional go-around in the woods for a water hole so you'll fit. My concern is with the aggressive options, not that you couldn't do them but I'm assuming it would be at a slower pace in than the 2 wheelers and the ride may become too long for you (Missing lunch, holding up our sweep riders etc.). Please correct me if I'm wrong on that. I have not ridden with a sidecar rig but I have this mental image if it crawling over the rocks more like a jeep than a dirt bike.

Unfortunately I can't make a shorter version of the ride for you as I doubt I could find the extra pair of volunteers needed to sweep a separate track and I can't give you shortcuts or the sweep riders would get past you while you riding on one (sweepers lurk in the shadows just behind the last rider). All I can ask is that you not take the aggressive options unless of course I'm completely wrong about the Ural's speed in the rough stuff.
Old 07-05-2013, 12:00 PM   #21
Keating
pre-n00b

Oddometer: 187
Quote:
Originally Posted by TDY View Post
The ride doesn't use any single track other than the occasional go-around in the woods for a water hole so you'll fit.
I assume you're referencing the "Adventure Tour" and not the "Trail Ride"?

I'm planning to make it out as well, on a KLR, but reading the descriptions and looking at pics from previous years of all the bikes with no lights/plates, I'm assuming the "Trail Ride" version is some pretty serious enduro.

'04 KLR650
Keating is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 12:40 PM   #22
TDY OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keating View Post
I assume you're referencing the "Adventure Tour" and not the "Trail Ride"?

I'm planning to make it out as well, on a KLR, but reading the descriptions and looking at pics from previous years of all the bikes with no lights/plates, I'm assuming the "Trail Ride" version is some pretty serious enduro.
This thread is devoted to the Calabogie Boogie Dual Sport ride. The D-S ride is entirely different from the Trail ride. The D-S ride shares the Boogie's name, entry fees, start location, Saturday's trail side lunch and the Saturday night banquet. It may also use some of the same hydro-line two tracks as the trail ride so I have to be careful each year to route the D-S riders in the same direction as the trail riders when this happens. The trail ride is navigated by following arrows stapled to trees, orange for the main (easy) loop, pink and white arrows for the hard and harder trails. It is possible to do the trail ride on a 650 dual-sport bike, I've done it, but it will be quite a workout so you had better be in good shape. A 650 rider can do the orange loop but probably shouldn't attempt the pink or white options regardless of their riding skills. Larger bikes are really out of their element on the trail ride and are encouraged to do the D-S ride instead.

The Dual Sport ride is as described in the first post of this thread. It's a GPS ride where there are no arrows and the tracks followed on the GPS will lead you to several decision points where you can chose to take an aggressive option or not. and extender options or not. The aggressive options are defined as having level 4 or 5, perhaps 6, out of 7 difficulty on Gravel Travel's 1-7 scale borrowed from Ted (Deadly99), Thank you Ted. The main route of the D-S ride never goes over 3 on this scale. Each aggressive option will be rated in the GPS file so you have an idea what you're getting into before you commit, much like the pie plates used in the trails for the harder options. The extender options, usually one per day, are not aggressive.

TDY screwed with this post 07-08-2013 at 08:22 PM
Old 07-05-2013, 01:07 PM   #23
Berger
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 691
Quote:
Cool! We've never had a sidehack on the Boogie before. The ride doesn't use any single track other than the occasional go-around in the woods for a water hole so you'll fit. My concern is with the aggressive options, not that you couldn't do them but I'm assuming it would be at a slower pace in than the 2 wheelers and the ride may become too long for you (Missing lunch, holding up our sweep riders etc.). Please correct me if I'm wrong on that. I have not ridden with a sidecar rig but I have this mental image if it crawling over the rocks more like a jeep than a dirt bike.

Unfortunately I can't make a shorter version of the ride for you as I doubt I could find the extra pair of volunteers needed to sweep a separate track and I can't give you shortcuts or the sweep riders would get past you while you riding on one (sweepers lurk in the shadows just behind the last rider). All I can ask is that you not take the aggressive options unless of course I'm completely wrong about the Ural's speed in the rough stuff.
I am really trying not to be offended by your remarks....

Well, you may get two this year!! You also cannot confuse a Ural, especially one with 2wd and reverse, with any other hacked bike.

In all seriousness, my bike is more capable than its rider, and if I am honest, I tend to maintain greater speeds than a two wheeler on the sloppy stuff simply because I cannot fall over when it gets deep. As for the rocks, well, no issue there either, and if the tracks are wide enough, guys can go around. We won't be the first out, but I bet we aren't the last out either. Our only bane is really deep water, but my bike is setup to handle that better than most Urals.

Our plan is to ride the DS route, but not the third option you posted.

Sent from my Mobile

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=723916
Berger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 01:19 PM   #24
Keating
pre-n00b

Ah, ok. Excuse my lack of comprehension.
So which of the categories below, from the original post is the Dual Sport Ride?
Reading the first post, of this thread, I understood the Calabogie Boogie to be a "dual sport ride", broken into three routes/levels, SCENIC TOURS, ADVENTURE TOURS, and TRAIL RIDE per below:

Quote:
SCENIC TOURS
These rides take you through picturesque farms in the highlands where the roads are seldom straight. Scenic tours are ideal for riders who want to stop and take a few pictures along the way. Since these rides are also appealing to some the faster riders on bigger bikes, we have added extension options to the scenic tours to keep the fun from ending too soon.

ADVENTURE TOURS
For more aggressive Dual Sport riders who prefer to concentrate on the ground in front of them rather than the scenery around them, we recommend the adventure tours. These rides share much of the twisty, fun dirt roads with the scenic tours but have some power line and ATV trails thrown in to make it just a bit more challenging.

TRAIL RIDE
All are welcome to ride the gnarly single tracks trails that Calabogie is famous for, however we do recommend smaller trail bikes for this arrowed event. Your entry fee works for both dual sport or trail ride so you can even do a little of both if you like.
Quote:
This thread is devoted to the Calabogie Boogie Dual Sport ride. The D-S ride is entirely different from the Trail ride.

The Dual Sport ride is as described in the first post of this thread.

'04 KLR650
Old 07-05-2013, 01:19 PM   #25
TDY OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by UralBerger View Post
I am really trying not to be offended by your remarks....
OK, a Jeep with one front wheel missing.

Old 07-05-2013, 01:29 PM   #26
TDY OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keating View Post
Ah, ok. Excuse my lack of comprehension.
So which of the categories below, from the original post is the Dual Sport Ride?
Reading the first post, of this thread, I understood the Calabogie Boogie to be a "dual sport ride", broken into three routes/levels, SCENIC TOURS, ADVENTURE TOURS, and TRAIL RIDE per below:
I just edited my first post as you were typing. Sorry for the confusion.

The Calabogie Boogie has been a trail ride for over 23 years and I have run a D-S ride in conjunction with it for the last 5 or so years. Some riders still associate the name Calabogie Boogie with hard trail riding (as they should) but I'm in the business of promoting the Dual Sport ride while at the same time inviting the guys and gals on green plated trail bikes to take part in the trail ride.

TDY screwed with this post 07-08-2013 at 08:25 PM
Old 07-05-2013, 01:37 PM   #27
Keating
pre-n00b

Thanks. Makes perfect sense now.

Quote:
I just edited my first post as you where typing. Sorry for the confusion.

The Calabogie Boogie has been a trail ride for over 23 years and I have run a D-S ride in conjunction with it for the last 5 or so years. Some riders still associate the name Calabogie Boogie with hard trail riding (as they should) but I'm in the business of promoting the Dual Sport ride while at the same time inviting the guys and gals on green plated trail bikes to take part in the trail ride.

'04 KLR650
Old 07-05-2013, 02:39 PM   #28
Deadly99
Fast and Far

Oddometer: 9,016
Hoping to attend

You were asking about accommodations for next year. I think one of the resorts around white lake would be ideal. Somewhere with cabins and food. Not sure if this would separate the trail ride folks from the dual sport crowd too much....but would make for a nice weekend for us dual sporters. would add a nice social aspect to it in comparison to everyone bolting different directions at the end of the day....just a thought

TCAT (Trans Canada Adventure Trail)

Gravel Travel Canada - Canada's Source for Overland Travel
Deadly99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 06:16 PM   #29
400 KTM Pilot
Adventurer

Oddometer: 48
I will be there with Yamafitter and the Fearless Leader.
I WILL be doing 2 days of DS Adventure Tours with the Sunday extension.
Unlike Yamafitter my body still has all original parts, and I plan on keeping it that way.
Thoroughly enjoyed last years Sunday DS ride, after bailing on Saturdays trail ride and avoiding the Demon Rum.
Looking forward to Sept!!
400 KTM Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 05:06 AM   #30
yamafitter
Old Cranky Guy

Oddometer: 226
THE GAS GAS BROTHERS(Keith & Ed), CAPTAIN KTM (Mooney), HAVE GARMIN WILL TRAVEL (your truly), DON'T PASS ME THE DEMON RUM (Rick) and tentatively DRILLER (Mark) have a cottage booked at the Calabogie Resort Lodge in downtown Calabogie.

For those that read Bungie's remarks, his fear of Ottawa comes from the 2010 Canadian FJR Rally when Bungie attempted to lead a group of 12 FJR's through Ottawa to find a park that had a nice view of the Parliament Buildings.
The following is from a Ride Report that I did on the FJR Forum describing that fiasco:

Quote:
Chris had given Bungie the GPS directions to the park that has some nice views of the Parliament Buildings. I don't know Ottawa very well but I do know that the spot is on an island out in the river on the way over to the Quebec side. Bungie, how come we are not going over the bridge? Oh, I see! It's time for a practise lap of Downtown Ottawa. We see the front of the Parliament Buildings, The Supreme Court Building, some of the embassies, other federal buildings, a few museums & galleries but no island. Lap One complete. Lap 2 featured some downtown road construction and taxi drivers that had zero respect for a bike's space on the road. For Lap 3 we did make it across the bridge but not the island. Lap 4 took us back across the bridge and back into Downtown Ottawa. I'm getting DIZZY!!!
Lap 5 and its back over to the Hull side and we finally stop.
RATS - I was just ready to put in a hot lap for qualifying .
It was from this fiasco that Bungie earned his FJR Forum nickname, "Captain U-Turn". There are other examples, lots of them.

Getting back to the Calabogie Ride, I strongly urge everyone to attend the banquet on Saturday night. It's a good party with lots of prizes and they have in the past had some great guest speakers. Tons of bench racing also going on as everyone lies about their ride that day. None of the weenies I ride with are willing to admit that I dominated.

yamafitter screwed with this post 07-06-2013 at 05:18 AM
yamafitter is offline   Reply With Quote