Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-27-2013, 02:13 PM   #61
TDY OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 181
Quote:
Originally Posted by yamafitter View Post

When will the routes (tracks) be available to the riders that are entered?
Not until much closer to event day, probably just a few days before. I'm still planning it these days. I will have my laptop at the event for on the spot uploads.
'08 CRF100F (no trail too tight for this bike)
'03 DERBI GPR50R (Every ride is a race)
TDY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 06:09 PM   #62
400 KTM Pilot
Adventurer

Oddometer: 48
I'm entered and my Garmin 276 (old) is ready to go.
I am used to following routes, but following tracks would be interesting.
400 KTM Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 06:07 AM   #63
TDY OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 400 KTM Pilot View Post
I'm entered and my Garmin 276 (old) is ready to go.
I am used to following routes, but following tracks would be interesting.
I find it better to follow tracks on my old 60Cx because of the detail available from a track and the fact that I can see multiple tracks of various colours at the same time making it easy to see ride options. The colour scheme that I use for these rides is: light green for the main track, red for aggressive options, blue for extender options and magenta for shortcuts. You can change the track colours on your GPS if you like. Play with the colours of the tracks to find what is most visible on your screen.

A quick look at the specs for your 276C indicates the max number of points for a Route is 300 while your tracklogs can be up to 10,000 points each. My GPS has a limit of 500 points per track for Imported tracks so that is what I filter all my organized ride tracks down to. Your 276 will hold 15-20 tracks (depending on where I read the specs), more than enough for the Boogie.

Just 5 weeks to go. It's time to submit a weather requisition, How about rain a few days prior to the event for dust control and a slight overcast on Saturday and Sunday so it doesn't get too hot and so pictures turn out better?
Old 08-07-2013, 11:19 AM   #64
TDY OP
Gnarly Adventurer

accommodations available

I understand there is an event at the Calabogie Motorsport Park the same weekend so it may be very difficult to find a room. Dwight just sent me a note and asked me to publish it here. (He's not on ADV yet), regarding a cottage he just found that may help some of you.

"I recently came across the following accommodation in the vicinity of the Calabogie Boogie, and contacted the owner for more info. This seems to be an option for a small group (5 to 6 folks) who are interested in commuting to the boogie up and down the K & P trail. The location is 15km down the trail, (35 km drive down highway 511). Look for Flower Station on the K & P trail, 15km south of the Boogie."

D&D outfitting (Flower Station on K & P trail) http://www.ddout.com/
I have a small cottage that is available for the 6 & 7 Sept. The cottage has with five bedrooms (4 bedrooms with a double bed and one bedroom with 2 single beds), equipped with stove, fridge, microwave, all pots and pans, cutelry, bedding, towels, BBQ etc... runnning water and shower and electricity.
The rate is $300.00 / weekend with the arrival Friday noon and departure Sunday p.m. This rate is for the cottage with +/ 5 - 6 guests.
I do not serve breakfast, but you can easily make you own meals.
I usually keep the cottage for bear hunters but this year there is a cancellation.
Please do not hesitate to contact me with any questions you may have.
Thank you Claude Neveu. info@ddout.com
Old 08-08-2013, 04:38 AM   #65
buls4evr
No Marks....

Oddometer: 2,259
How do you feel about a Yank coming over from Michigan? I have a legally plated and ORV stickered KTM EXC500. Would I need additional ORV lisc from Canada to run your event? We would likely stay in Bancroft as my wife picks up rocks and loves it there. Looking at the Adventure, not trail ride and would like to tag along without a GPS.
buls4evr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 05:26 AM   #66
TDY OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by buls4evr View Post
How do you feel about a Yank coming over from Michigan? I have a legally plated and ORV stickered KTM EXC500. Would I need additional ORV lisc from Canada to run your event? We would likely stay in Bancroft as my wife picks up rocks and loves it there. Looking at the Adventure, not trail ride and would like to tag along without a GPS.
Hi buls4evr,
I don't know the legality of your plates or stickers in Ontario. You would almost certainly be able to participate in the Calabogie Boogie trail ride where we only require what we call an off road license plates aka Green plates. If it is your intention to ride the dual sport event then I recommend you inquire with our Ministry of Transportation first. http://www.mto.gov.on.ca/english/ You would need the equivalent of our road plate aka blue plate. In Ontario you can't have both green and blue on the same vehicle so your ORV (Off Road Vehicle) sticker may get them confused, best not to mention it. Our blue plated vehicles are allowed everywhere the green plated vehicles can go, plus all the roads and highways. Some bikes can't ever be given blue plate, some are in the gray zone and some have no problems. Your 500exe is in the no problem category and can be blue plated so I'm optimistic that you will be able to ride on our roads.

Bancroft is very nice but its over 2 hours of highway to get from Bancroft to Calabogie. You will have a very long day if you commute.

I hope you can make it. Registration is open now and local accommodations are already getting scarce.
Old 08-16-2013, 05:55 AM   #67
TDY OP
Gnarly Adventurer

So, buls4evr, what did you find out about your license plate in Ontario? This could be good information for others wanting to bring a bike up from the US.

The ride has been finalized now and we are out riding it to be sure that there are no big trees across the trail or roads under construction to block your fun. The only outstanding issue now is an ongoing war with some beavers. Water wings and tall inlet snorkels may be advisable for use on some of the technical options. Seriously, do make sure you have done the "T" mod on your carburetor vents.

One more reminder that accommodations are scarce this year thanks to a big Porsche race the same weekend. Don't leave it 'til the last minute!
Old 08-16-2013, 09:24 AM   #68
buls4evr
No Marks....

Oddometer: 2,259
Conflicting date so have to be next year. I know the plate is obviously fine for the road sections. Only the 2 track was in question or any trail such as snomobile. Does look like Bancroft is a ways away also so have to re-think that too. Looks like great fun though. You guys have a blast.
buls4evr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 05:46 PM   #69
TE 450 Pilot
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 107
Terry, this really sucks now :(

I just found out after me raving about how good this ride is that 4 of my friends want to do it this year. Can you call in sick for me ? This is the best ride of the year and I don't know if I can take my riding buddies going and me not.

Dam you for making such a good event.
1976 Yamaha TY175 Trials
1974 Suzuki RL 250 Trials
TE 450 Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 08:20 AM   #70
TDY OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TE 450 Pilot View Post
Terry, this really sucks now :(

I just found out after me raving about how good this ride is that 4 of my friends want to do it this year. Can you call in sick for me ? This is the best ride of the year and I don't know if I can take my riding buddies going and me not.

Dam you for making such a good event.
Me thinks Randy wants a discount at the boogie next year. Send a few more riders my way and it just might work!
Old 08-21-2013, 06:03 AM   #71
Quantis
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 239
Just signed up. Forgot the banquet the first time so I went back and did another run through the registration for just the banquet.

Hopefully the weather is better this year. That storm last year was INTENSE
Old 08-21-2013, 06:08 AM   #72
TDY OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quantis View Post
Just signed up. Forgot the banquet the first time so I went back and did another run through the registration for just the banquet.

Hopefully the weather is better this year. That storm last year was INTENSE
I have already placed an ordered for rain Sept 5 and good riding weather September 6, 7, & 8. I'll probably pay for it later though.
Old 08-24-2013, 07:22 AM   #73
shaweetz
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 204
In for both days and the banquet. Can't wait!

Unfortunately my riding buddy is already booked for something else this weekend, so if you see a tall dude with a black Tiger 800XC looking somewhat awkward, by all means say hey. I'll be tenting out at camp.
shaweetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 08:40 AM   #74
dvs
n00b

Oddometer: 9
Share ride and accommodations ?

I haven' tread through all pages of this thread yet, but if anyone needs a ride up to the event and want to split costs on accommodations PM me.

Edit: picked up a room in Arnprior just 37 min from Calabogie. Still up for sharing if someone wants to cut costs. Although the room only has a single queen so will either have to roll in a cot or get another room.

I'm new to DS riding having just picked up a DR, would the event be doable for me and the DR? I'll be putting Shinko 244 on for the ride.

Edit: saw the trail route options Adventure with some Trail for me!

I also don't have a GPS so are the trail marked or are there group leaders?

Edit: so there will be leaders, cool can now just enjoy the scenery and riding!

I'll be the other awkward looking guy there, come introduce yourself and sit and have a few cold ones.

dvs screwed with this post 08-26-2013 at 04:56 AM
dvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 07:24 AM   #75
dvs
n00b

Oddometer: 9
Just booked, both days and banquet. This is gonna be fun!!
dvs is offline   Reply With Quote