Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-29-2013, 02:13 PM   #16
Echo1
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 272
Have you ridden your wee without the bags? I think those adventure bags are too big. If you like the bike without the bags, sell 'em and go with a tail trunk or bag to haul your gear.
Echo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 03:24 PM   #17
veriest1
Grand NOOBlet

Oddometer: 2,445
My issue was lack of power and suspension.

I'm sure the sv650 runs hotter cams, high octane, has more agrressive geometry, and is lighter than an armored up weestrom.

In short as a sport bike it was to slow and as an adv bike it has a hard time even keeping up with the GSA's due to ground clearance.

Sent from my HTC using magic.
veriest1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 03:51 PM   #18
Deuce
Crazy Canuck

Oddometer: 2,766
I think you need to get the new KTM 390 when it comes out. I understand where you're coming from. It's more fun riding a slow bike fast then riding a fast bike slow.
Old 06-29-2013, 04:26 PM   #19
glasswave
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 926
Quote:
Originally Posted by firebrick View Post
While the strom is probably the most practical bike Ive ever owned, Im seriously thinking about getting rid of it at 1500 miles. .... it still feels too big. Im no longer taking long trips, Im just using it to go back and forth to work.... I miss being excited to hop on the bike to go to work. Ill reiterate, the strom is probably the most practical, useful, well thought out bike Ive owned to date, but damn I just cant get excited about it :(
You could try lowering it, but that does not seem to be your problem. If I were just commuting at speeds under 50 mph, I'd probably want a superMoto or perhaps a TU 250.
Peruvian Andes (3 months)
N Chile - Medellin, Colombia (3 months) Cartegena, CO to N Chile (3 months)
glasswave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 05:14 PM   #20
JohnG.
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,937
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple Jam View Post
It's like a Toyota Corolla or Honda Accord. Maybe even a V-6 model.
It SHOULD be good, but it lacks what it needs to make you grin,....like a Mustang would
A guy at work owned a Strom for a while but just couldn't take to it either,now has a fully tricked XJR Yamaha that sounds like a motorcycle
Old 06-30-2013, 12:53 AM   #21
jokermtb
Blues Ripper

Oddometer: 112
Quote:
Sold my 2005 ninja 250 to buy a new 2013 dl650a. While the strom is probably the most practical bike Ive ever owned, Im seriously thinking about getting rid of it at 1500 miles. While its much smaller than some bikes Ive owned, gl1500, ultra classic, it still feels too big. Im no longer taking long trips, Im just using it to go back and forth to work. Why can't I love this bike when it does everything I want without any problems. Im thinking about going back to a Ural even after all the issues I had with them. Im even thinking about a tw200. Im trying to talk myself out of taking such a big monetary hit but I miss being excited to hop on the bike to go to work. Ill reiterate, the strom is probably the most practical, useful, well thought out bike Ive owned to date, but damn I just cant get excited about it :(
Sell your Strom, and buy a really crappy bike. You need to relearn what it is like to suffer, before you can again enjoy greatness....Or, get another Ural, since you obviously harbor masochistic personality traits that need succor....
Old 06-30-2013, 06:46 AM   #22
MeefZah
Curmudgeonly

Oddometer: 10,709
Quote:
Originally Posted by jokermtb View Post
Sell your Strom, and buy a really crappy bike. You need to relearn what it is like to suffer, before you can again enjoy greatness....Or, get another Ural, since you obviously harbor masochistic personality traits that need succor....

OP, I love the Strom but I accept that not everyone does. If it ain't for you, get rid of it and try something else.

I spent a few months hating a Tenere before I said "fuck it", ate a grand and a half, and got rid of it. No point in paying for something you don't like.

My Smugmug Galleries
MeefZah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 07:58 AM   #23
TheJRM
Adventurer

Oddometer: 66
Quote:
Sold my 2005 ninja 250 to buy a new 2013 dl650a. While the strom is probably the most practical bike Ive ever owned, Im seriously thinking about getting rid of it at 1500 miles. While its much smaller than some bikes Ive owned, gl1500, ultra classic, it still feels too big. Im no longer taking long trips, Im just using it to go back and forth to work. Why can't I love this bike when it does everything I want without any problems. Im thinking about going back to a Ural even after all the issues I had with them. Im even thinking about a tw200. Im trying to talk myself out of taking such a big monetary hit but I miss being excited to hop on the bike to go to work. Ill reiterate, the strom is probably the most practical, useful, well thought out bike Ive owned to date, but damn I just cant get excited about it :(
For what it's worth... I've embraced the "more is less" concept for the very reasons you have come to dislike your V-Strom.

My wife and I ride TW200s. I commute on that bike daily (highway and local roads). We have taken trips of >1,000 miles on those bikes, traveling as far as MA up to Mont Tremblant, Canada and back, while loaded up with tons of camping gear, food etc. all thanks to the most excellent CycleRacks rear rack (a must have for the T-Dub).

I have ridden the little T-Dub through swamps (while nearly standing on the seat to stay dry), up grades that would make nearly all other dual sports stall out and topple over, over logs, rocks, you name it. When things get really tough, I just put both feet down and pull a Fred Flintstone - combo of throttle and foot power to get me and the little T-Dub up and over whatever obstacle is in our way (yabba dabba doo!).

In the twisties and around town, you just can't beat the nimble nature of this bike; you're on the gas and bombing with ease. I went +1 with the countersprocket up front and the T-Dub will cruise @75 mph all day long on the highway; the little engine is built to red line all day long, so ring it's neck and ride on.

In full disclosure, I have a Honda CB500X on order and am not-so-patiently awaiting it's arrival. My biggest fear: It won't measure up to the TW200.

What more can I say? I love the TW200 and highly recommend it. As long as you're not looking to set any land speed records, you can't beat it. And, believe it or not, I get compliments on the bike all the time by supersport riders and non-riders alike; the T-Dub MAKES you want to ride and everyone who sees it WANTS to ride it.

This video sums it up:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2W0BEYGh3C8

TheJRM screwed with this post 06-30-2013 at 08:08 AM
TheJRM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 08:42 AM   #24
robert110411
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 120
I hated mine at first....

When I traded my GSX 650F for a DL1000 I was thinking "WTF did I do" before I even got home from the dealer.

A few hundred miles later I loved the thing.

But if you've got 2000 miles and it's not even growing on you? Time to move along.
robert110411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 08:56 AM   #25
mas335
xendurist

Oddometer: 1,918
I wouldn't own a bike that doesn't make me smile every time I ride it. I had two bikes that fell into that catagory, a Yamaha 550 Vision, ( the dullest bike I have even owned) and a BMW F650 Dakar. I think I sold it a few months later, I just did not like the feel, the sound, the seat, about all I liked about it was it's reputation for reliability and longevity but a bike should be more than just that.

I came very very close to buying a Honda GB500, a very sought after bike, probably one of the best looking bikes of it's type ever made. With cash in hand and my trailer in tow ready to haul it back home I was ready to pull the trigger. A test ride in the mountains around Asheville, NC settled the issue, it didn't do it for me, I drove home without it.

For me a bike should always remind me of why I love riding them. I have owned 16 Transalps and when people ask me why do I like them I tell them they do everything I need them to do and they always make me smile.
Old 06-30-2013, 09:54 AM   #26
OneTraveller
Social Reject

Oddometer: 123
You need a 90% bike. One that'll excel at 90% of the type of riding that you do. And as stated, if you don't love it, why pay for it.

If its primarily asphalt and commuting, look at the Italian options. A Multi might be on the big side for you, but a Monster or Hyperstrada might stir your soul.

If dirt is what you crave, then you should look at the smaller dirt bikes/dual sports. KTM, Husqvarna, Yamaha's WR, even a KLR or XL650R can be a loved member of the family if it goes where you want it to.

Mike
To paraphrase Antoine de St-Exupery
I ride because it releases my mind from the tyranny of petty things.
OneTraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 12:05 PM   #27
firebrick OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 896
Lifes too short, for sale!
Old 07-01-2013, 02:22 PM   #28
unlucky1
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 230
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pecha72 View Post
The engine comes from an SV650, that's regarded as a pretty fun bike (I once had one) so I don't quite follow, where all that 'dullness' comes from. Granted it's not as fast to turn as an SV - switching to street tyres will help, though - but it's got a nice powerband, and goes well enough on the curvier roads. Try an NC700, for me that is a dull engine, even though its otherwise a decent bike. Hits the limiter just when it gets going.
I've ridden both a Weestrom and a SV650. Both are very much appliance bikes with no real character. The twin in it is maybe a little more fun than a mild old 600cc four, but that's about it in my book. I see where the OP is coming from on that; some folks like a drama-free ride, some folks prefer a little theatre.

My Uly doesn't go any faster than a Suzuki 650 twin but at least it makes me smile, trying. Hell I have more fun on my 175 enduros while they struggle to break 50mph and can't turn.
unlucky1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 04:55 PM   #29
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Oddometer: 5,049
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneTraveller View Post
You need a 90% bike. One that'll excel at 90% of the type of riding that you do. And as stated, if you don't love it, why pay for it.

If its primarily asphalt and commuting, look at the Italian options. A Multi might be on the big side for you, but a Monster or Hyperstrada might stir your soul.

If dirt is what you crave, then you should look at the smaller dirt bikes/dual sports. KTM, Husqvarna, Yamaha's WR, even a KLR or XL650R can be a loved member of the family if it goes where you want it to.

Mike
^^ This.
Best answer in the whole thread.

Motorcycles are not really very practical, so it's purely an emotional choice as to what to ride and where to go. It's all about the thrill, the freedom, the adventure. As I have aged (yeah, getting stinkin' old lol) I find that bike choice has to be something that just makes you want to pinch yourself that it's really me on that bike. It should make you want to just get on it and go have fun.

I've owned a DL1000 and a SV650. Liked 'em both. I've had a Versys, lots of fun. Lots of dirtbikes. I have what I believe are two ultimate bikes, a Husqvarna TE630 dualsport, and a Triumph Tiger 800XC adventure bike. Both just thrill to no end. I think next will be a new M696 or 796 Monster. Something to tootle around town and canyon carve for day trips. Something exciting, and loud, and fast.

My first wife wasn't all that attractive. I loved her but just never got over that. Ten years later and a half-million dollar divorce, I found what I thought at the time, was the most beautiful woman I had ever laid eyes on. That was over 20 years ago, and I've never regretted it, have always just loved looking at this woman. It's just joy that she's my best friend as well. It's been said that beauty is only skin-deep, but ugly is to the bone. If your motorbike doesn't turn you on you need a different scooter.
browneye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 03:53 AM   #30
kalaharigeorge
Adventurer

Oddometer: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by browneye View Post
It's been said that beauty is only skin-deep, but ugly is to the bone.
Only a bloke from Orange County could write this . So true and I'll be sure to plagiarise it!
kalaharigeorge is offline   Reply With Quote