Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-02-2013, 05:58 AM   #31
fragile_this_side_up
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by unlucky1 View Post
I've ridden both a Weestrom and a SV650. Both are very much appliance bikes with no real character. The twin in it is maybe a little more fun than a mild old 600cc four, but that's about it in my book. I see where the OP is coming from on that; some folks like a drama-free ride, some folks prefer a little theatre.

My Uly doesn't go any faster than a Suzuki 650 twin but at least it makes me smile, trying. Hell I have more fun on my 175 enduros while they struggle to break 50mph and can't turn.
i disagree about the SV. I completely agree about the Wee. i bought one 2 months ago for commuting, and although dull, boring, and an "appliance", i have put on 4k miles with ease and comfort as well and for commuting for me, it is perfect. although, it does make me smile, bags or no bags, it can still get it in the twisties..

on the other hand, i also own an 03 SV650. every time i ride it, i have a smile. your comment reminds me of something i was told by my boss' friend. he saw my SV and said the same thing, "no real character". that's why he rode a Harley...
Old 07-02-2013, 08:09 AM   #32
NJ-Bill
Life is good

Oddometer: 461
Quote:
I've ridden both a Weestrom and a SV650. Both are very much appliance bikes with no real character.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fragile_this_side_up View Post
I completely agree about the Wee. i bought one 2 months ago for commuting, and although dull, boring, and an "appliance",
I just do not get the no character and appliance comments. Is it too reliable? Too smooth? Is it that you can ride it to Alaska without bringing a ton of spare parts?

If instead of BMW sourcing a Rotax engine for their F-series, they used a (BMW labeled) copy of the Vstrom 650 V-twin and left the rest of the bike the same, I bet people would be raving about the F-series' soul and character. This argument sounds like its more about ego than mechanical performance, aka character.
Old 07-02-2013, 09:13 AM   #33
fragile_this_side_up
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,128
I equate it to this... The VStrom makes a nice Honda CRV.. the SV makes a great Civic Type R..

i'll be honest, in order to get the best out of the Vstrom you've gotta rev it, and my 2012 sounds like garbage in stock form in the higher revs. the motor works great in the higher revs, it just doesn't sound like it. i'm sure if i added an aftermarket exhaust, it would sound as great as my SV with it's delkevic. but i don't even want to bother because it would take away from what i bought THIS bike for.. racking up miles on the daily commute and then being able to take a gravel road or some light dirt when i feel "ADVenturous". hehe.

the one great thing about the Vstrom is this; the bike kind of "melts away" when you ride. you don't notice it. at least, i don't. hard to describe.

edit: it has nothing to do with "ego". i would take the Wee over a BMW or Ducati any day. I had the chance to pick out anything i wanted, and i got exactly what i wanted.
Old 07-02-2013, 10:06 AM   #34
pluric
Banned

Oddometer: 16,362
Quote:
I've ridden both a Weestrom and a SV650. Both are very much appliance bikes with no real character. The twin in it is maybe a little more fun than a mild old 600cc four, but that's about it in my book. I see where the OP is coming from on that; some folks like a drama-free ride, some folks prefer a little theatre.

My Uly doesn't go any faster than a Suzuki 650 twin but at least it makes me smile, trying. Hell I have more fun on my 175 enduros while they struggle to break 50mph and can't turn.
Huh? I own each model of the SV. Shits and giggle grin every time I ride one.
Character seems to be defined as willing to accept some drama in your theatre.

pluric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 07:42 PM   #35
whipit1k
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 309
Quote:
Originally Posted by firebrick View Post
Working for the fire department I needed a bike that I could carry all my gear if I got shipped to another station. The Ural did that easily. The strom does it pretty easy with those big side cases. The ninja 250 didn't do it very well. Maybe a tw200 with a huge rear rack would make me smile again. I didn't even ride to work today because I looked at the bike and said, eh, I'll drive.
do you have any idea how slow and horribly underpowered a TW200 is to begin with, let alone loaded down with a bunch of gear? as long as you are riding to and from a location that never sees traffic over 45mph , you would be ok, I guess. TW's are aweful cute, and fun in the right situation. I would lose my mind if I had to ride one ten miles each way on a daily basis. They are agonizingly slow compared to any street going bike
whipit1k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 08:11 PM   #36
dbarale
Squiddly slow

Oddometer: 1,223
Sounds like you're ready to try a supermoto. Maybe a dr650 motard with bags? Or even a drz?
I'm having fun with my vstrom but it has a more -lively- exhaust, and my dr350sm is still waaay more fun...
dbarale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 08:24 PM   #37
RideDualSport.com
TPB all the way

Oddometer: 1,484
I hear what your saying... and this is the cure!
One of the most visceral motorcycle I have ever ridden.
It is in the flea market - only because I bought a Super Tenere.
I know I will regret it... maybe it won't sell...
Alaska Deep Adventure
RideDualSport.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 08:37 PM   #38
firebrick OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 896
Never should have sold the ninjette.
Old 07-03-2013, 09:28 AM   #39
soldierguy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 467
Everybody has different tastes. The Wee isn't exciting, and the stock exhaust makes it sound agricultural. I will say that I like it better than an F800GS that I used to own...to me, that was an appliance.

But I didn't buy the Wee for excitement. I got it to serve as the basis for a project. This summer I'm changing the color (I hate the blue), and I'm hacking it. Then it'll likely be the coolest damn appliance around.

'13 Yamaha Super Tenere - my dream bike
soldierguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 09:33 AM   #40
soldierguy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 467
But what I meant to say was this: if it doesn't work for you, make it into what you want. If that's not an option, then sell it and get something that'll make you smile. I can tell you from experience that nearly any Italian bike will do that.

'13 Yamaha Super Tenere - my dream bike
soldierguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 02:30 PM   #41
Foot dragger
singletracker

Oddometer: 12,817
Quote:
Originally Posted by firebrick View Post
Sold my 2005 ninja 250 to buy a new 2013 dl650a. While the strom is probably the most practical bike Ive ever owned, Im seriously thinking about getting rid of it at 1500 miles. While its much smaller than some bikes Ive owned, gl1500, ultra classic, it still feels too big. Im no longer taking long trips, Im just using it to go back and forth to work. Why can't I love this bike when it does everything I want without any problems. Im thinking about going back to a Ural even after all the issues I had with them. Im even thinking about a tw200. Im trying to talk myself out of taking such a big monetary hit but I miss being excited to hop on the bike to go to work. Ill reiterate, the strom is probably the most practical, useful, well thought out bike Ive owned to date, but damn I just cant get excited about it :(
I know what you mean,I had the 1000 Strom,got rid of it.
Then picked up a 650 Strom because it was a great trade.
I kept riding the 650DL off and on,kept it hidden under a tarp.
Then I took it on a trip to Baja,actually made the mistake of riding it in some rocks and sand/gravel.

I brought it home and put it up for sale,couldnt get over the feeling of dorkishness just owning the thing.
Im sure it would have run forever but .........it wasnt for me.

As far as generic toaster like personality it had any bike Ive tried beat by a ways.
Old 07-03-2013, 03:22 PM   #42
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Oddometer: 5,037
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foot dragger View Post
I know what you mean,I had the 1000 Strom,got rid of it.
Then picked up a 650 Strom because it was a great trade.
I kept riding the 650DL off and on,kept it hidden under a tarp.
Then I took it on a trip to Baja,actually made the mistake of riding it in some rocks and sand/gravel.

I brought it home and put it up for sale,couldnt get over the feeling of dorkishness just owning the thing.
Im sure it would have run forever but .........it wasnt for me.

As far as generic toaster like personality it had any bike Ive tried beat by a ways.

This is un-politically correct speak. Don't get caught on the owners forum with this shit.
browneye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 05:05 PM   #43
MariusD
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 569
It all comes down to your needs. All too often you have to chose form over function. It certainly is the case with bikes. Comfy isn't sexy, sexy isn't comfy. Therefore this thread should be a good resource for any potenttial vstrom owners. If you are looking for a true no drama daily ride this bike is great. If you are looking for a grin inducing weekend worrior there are definitely funner bikes out there.

There are those, including me, for whom this bike does both. I love the fact that I can go from a tourer to a street bike in 3 minutes or less. With all the luggage removed it is plenty of fun to me. But, since I have ridden other sportier bikes, I know the vstrom doesn't quiet match up. Again, for me, it doesn't need to.

I feel like all bike owners typically go throught a few bikes until they figure out what best fits their style of riding. No point in bashing the bike or beating yourself up over a "wrong" decision. Just figure out what you will use it for, then look for a bike that is the best fit for that use.

My journey led me to the vstrom, your journey will lead you to something else, it's just life
MariusD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 08:20 PM   #44
firebrick OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 896
It is the perfect bike of course. I have a shit load of fire gear loaded on it tonight cause I'm shipped to a different station tomorrow and it will handle the commute with ease. No drama. Damn.
Old 07-03-2013, 08:42 PM   #45
augerdin
I do my own crashing

Oddometer: 89
Yeah, if it isn't doing it for you get rid of it. Life is too short to not be happy with your ride. I own a 2005 wee strom and really like it for what it is-a no drama just get it done bike. If I want character I ride my Moto Guzzi. Now that's a fun ride.
augerdin is offline   Reply With Quote