Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-03-2013, 08:34 PM   #46
NJ-Brett
Brett

Oddometer: 6,187
I had one bike I did not connect with, a 2005 Bonneville.
It was cheap (used), it did everything a bike is supposed to do, it was trouble free, smooth, had enough power for me.
After a month, I was bored with it.
I had old ones I loved, and thought what could be better then a new trouble free one. Wrong, the only thing the same was the name.
I put up with it for a year, only 5000 miles, and sold it.
Next was a sportster, I liked the look, sound and motor, but it was heavy, small, and the suspension sucked. But I sold it as I was uncomfortable on it no matter what I did.
Then I got a TU250 because of a bad dirt crash left me quite busted up and it was time for a lighter bike.
The thing is a hoot.
After 3 years, I still look forward to every ride, and will take the bike out just for a 1/2 hour ride each day to get my 'fix'.
I love it when my wife needs something at the store, I get a ride in.
Every ride is a bit of a road race, pin the throttle, work the gears, dart through turns, speed shift, drag race cars.
Its SO easy to get on the bike and go.
I suspect the ninja was like that.

I would like something a bit bigger, in size and motor, like an SR400, or a TU350, but the TU does the job.
I have not had as much fun since I was 17 on an xl250.

I had a tw200 also, at the same time as the TU250, and it was very fun in the dirt, in swamps and sand, but a bit funky on the street with the huge tires, but you get used to it I suppose.
I sold that as I would end up taking the TU for a ride if I had time.
I should have held onto it, as it was a great bike to take out in the rain (and snow). Small gas tank though.

What you want, and should have, is a bike you can not wait to ride, even after 3 years. One that you would NEVER drive a car if you can take the bike.
One that you do not care where or when you ride, even the same old roads, as its such a hoot just to be on the bike.
That is the bike you want, not one that just gets you there.
NJ-Brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 10:43 PM   #47
welder
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,512
I am just about to pull the trigger on a new dl650. It seems every bike has a few haters, but the dl650 seems to have way more people that love it than hate it. I personally have never owned a bike I disliked. I just sold the klr650 and a ty 250 trials. The KLR was a good bike but just a little to unrefined for my everyday ride. Now the cb550 is next to go. As soon as its gone, the 650 will take the place of the three and be my only bike. Although I love the classic bikes, I think I am finally done with them. I just don't have the time or patience to tinker with stuff anymore. I just need a bike that works all the time with low maintenance. I think the vstrom will be a good fit. If you want a few more thrills just twist the throttle a bit harder!
Old 07-03-2013, 11:26 PM   #48
Reposado1800
Juicy J fan!

Oddometer: 5,740
The DL650 lives and dies by its tires and suspension. Leave it stock and it is a banana sandwich. Put on killer tires and do the forks and replace the shock and it is a fine ride.
Old 07-04-2013, 12:59 AM   #49
tkitna
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,462
I've always felt that the Vstrom was as vanilla as a bike can get, but something starting to click right around the 13K mark. I always knew it was the perfect bike for my purposes, but I struggled with the lack of a grin factor. Now, after the BYOB rally, my tune has changed somewhat. I rode the bike to the rally in horrific rain for four straight hours and semi bald tires and the bike performed without a hitch. Rode twisties, miles of gravel, cow trails all in the rain and dry without a hitch. Rode the slab home at 85mph for three hours without a hitch and was pissed off when the ride was over and for some reason I have the itch to ride it again asap (I have to do some maintenance to it first ). Like I said. something clicked last weekend thats been missing up to that point. We'll see how long it lasts.

2008 DL650
2013 Goldwing
tkitna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 01:53 AM   #50
veriest1
Grand NOOBlet

Oddometer: 2,160
Quote:
Originally Posted by welder View Post
I am just about to pull the trigger on a new dl650. It seems every bike has a few haters, but the dl650 seems to have way more people that love it than hate it. I personally have never owned a bike I disliked.
I don't think anyone here said they hated it. Mine was a fine bike for commuting and gravel roads. It wasn't terrible in the twisties either.

Unfortunately it just didn't do what I wanted on rough gravel roads and the mandatory skid plate gave it even less clearance. My legs also found it a little cramped on the highway (6'2") and it was a tad slow off the line. I got tired of spending money trying to set it up to suit me.

Sent from my HTC using magic.
veriest1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 08:51 AM   #51
Schlug
JockeyfullofBourbon

Oddometer: 7,182
Quote:
I am just about to pull the trigger on a new dl650. It seems every bike has a few haters, but the dl650 seems to have way more people that love it than hate it. I personally have never owned a bike I disliked. I just sold the klr650 and a ty 250 trials. The KLR was a good bike but just a little to unrefined for my everyday ride. Now the cb550 is next to go. As soon as its gone, the 650 will take the place of the three and be my only bike. Although I love the classic bikes, I think I am finally done with them. I just don't have the time or patience to tinker with stuff anymore. I just need a bike that works all the time with low maintenance. I think the vstrom will be a good fit. If you want a few more thrills just twist the throttle a bit harder!

You have 60 HP on a 450 lbs bike. That throttle only goes so far round the grip.

There is very little 'hate' about the Wee. Aside from it's looks. But there is very little to 'love' as well.

It's a mid priced bike with mid priced manners. Does everything just fine with no drama. Very reliable. But there isn't anything really nice about that bike. You know? Really, really nice.

At the last advrider rallye I attended, I was not on a Strom, following a very good rider on a KTM. I remember railing through a mix of broken up blacktop and dirt, just floating over it, hitting a corner and diving in and powering out of it, smiling like an idiot, hair standing up on the back of my neck.

And then I remember years ago being beaten to death by my V-Strom's suspension. Everything rattling and creaking, forks clunking, arse end skipping around. I made it where I wanted to go, and nothing broke. But, feh. I got tired of pushing a bike around from one side of the garage to the other while it collected dust. I traded it.
-- It's in their hands. Our message is clear. They're seeing our determination.

Schlug screwed with this post 07-04-2013 at 08:56 AM
Schlug is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 09:49 AM   #52
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Oddometer: 4,282
Quote:
I don't get a sense that people hate it, it's just not a ducati or [insert exotic bike name here].

A wee is WAY more bike than a KLR, so that will be a nice step up for you.
Old 07-04-2013, 05:49 PM   #53
welder
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbySands View Post
You have 60 HP on a 450 lbs bike. That throttle only goes so far round the grip.

There is very little 'hate' about the Wee. Aside from it's looks. But there is very little to 'love' as well.

It's a mid priced bike with mid priced manners. Does everything just fine with no drama. Very reliable. But there isn't anything really nice about that bike. You know? Really, really nice.

At the last advrider rallye I attended, I was not on a Strom, following a very good rider on a KTM. I remember railing through a mix of broken up blacktop and dirt, just floating over it, hitting a corner and diving in and powering out of it, smiling like an idiot, hair standing up on the back of my neck.

And then I remember years ago being beaten to death by my V-Strom's suspension. Everything rattling and creaking, forks clunking, arse end skipping around. I made it where I wanted to go, and nothing broke. But, feh. I got tired of pushing a bike around from one side of the garage to the other while it collected dust. I traded it.
I believe its actually 70hp.
Old 07-04-2013, 06:40 PM   #54
glasswave
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 925
Quote:
Originally Posted by firebrick View Post
Working for the fire department I needed a bike that I could carry all my gear if I got shipped to another station. The Ural did [it]. The strom does it. The ninja 250 didn't do it. Maybe a tw200...
For your use, I'd go with a super moto w/ a top case or side cases if they wouldn't carry all my gear easily.

A drz sm 400 is a good choice or if you want to be a total hooligan a KTM 990 smr or smt. WoooWhoooo!!!

A tw200 might seem attractive, in the same way that a virginal 19 yo southern baptist southern farm girl may, but in the end after the excitement of a first ride or two, she'll refuse to do what you really want.
Peruvian Andes (3 months)
N Chile - Medellin, Colombia (3 months) Cartegena, CO to N Chile (3 months)
glasswave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 08:29 PM   #55
Gobius
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 125
Quote:
I just need a bike that works all the time with low maintenance. I think the vstrom will be a good fit.
This is the lure of the strom. It will go wherever you want it to go (within reason), and it will reliably get you home. I've had recent experience with Italian bikes, and they do have more "character", but I decided that my credit card and my trailer could use a little less character. So now I ride a V-strom.
Gobius is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 09:15 PM   #56
welder
Beastly Adventurer

I had a blast on my klr in the twisty's , so I'm sure the dl650 will not disappoint. It does everything better than the klr except maybe trail riding
Old 07-04-2013, 10:16 PM   #57
Echo1
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 269
The wee is a great bike but if you're not happy with it and willing to take the depreciation hit, perhaps a KLR would work for you.

Los Angeles has a fleet of KLRs emergency responders use to get through gridlock situations.

Plus you never know when you'll have to take a "shortcut" to work!

Echo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 01:10 PM   #58
mrbreeze
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,844
I have had my '12 Adventure for a month now. It's got over 2600 miles on it already. It's addictive to me. I think it is the perfect motorcycle. I think a bike should be economical to buy and to operate. I think it should be fun to ride, Comfortable. Versatile. The DL650A checks all those boxes for me.

Last weekend a buddy and I took off for the mountains as soon as we got off work Friday. We knocked out almost 300 miles in a hurry to get to our motel that night. Saturday we strafed corners all day and had a blast. Sunday we took backroads through the mountains before hopping on the I-state and heading for home. I commute on it almost every day. It's a great bike. I can't wait to see the odometer roll over it's first 100k,

Travels with Maw Maw
mrbreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 03:00 PM   #59
firebrick OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 882
Maybe it's just me....
Old 07-05-2013, 03:53 PM   #60
666 Bandit
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 117
I've looked at the Strom for the same reasons that you seem to have one, I haul fire gear from station to station on occasion and that stuff is bulky. As practical as it seems I just don't think it will give me the same grins as my Dyna. What I finally did was make a custom rack for my Dyna so I could haul my stuff. I still get a grin every morning when I go to work and if I don't ride for a couple of shifts I really miss it. Get what makes you happy and stay safe.
666 Bandit is offline   Reply With Quote