Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-05-2013, 08:12 PM   #61
de Vaca
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbreeze View Post
I have had my '12 Adventure for a month now. It's got over 2600 miles on it already. It's addictive to me. I think it is the perfect motorcycle. I think a bike should be economical to buy and to operate. I think it should be fun to ride, Comfortable. Versatile. The DL650A checks all those boxes for me.

Last weekend a buddy and I took off for the mountains as soon as we got off work Friday. We knocked out almost 300 miles in a hurry to get to our motel that night. Saturday we strafed corners all day and had a blast. Sunday we took backroads through the mountains before hopping on the I-state and heading for home. I commute on it almost every day. It's a great bike. I can't wait to see the odometer roll over it's first 100k,
I could not agree more. I also have a `12 adventure 650. I have faster bikes and more expensive ones, but enjoy the wee strom as much or more than them all. I have had a KLR, a DRZ 400, etc, and was looking for a bike to explore back roads on. Both the KLR and the DRZ were good bikes, but more dirt oriented than I needed. When I bought the wee strom, I could not foresee it becoming a favorite, but it has. The comparisons of it to a Honda Civic, etc, is ridiculous. I could see comparing a TW 200 to an econo box car, but not this bike. If a bike with excellent handling and good power is boring, than I`m glad that there are such boring bikes available.

de Vaca screwed with this post 07-05-2013 at 08:20 PM
de Vaca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 05:16 AM   #62
texas_aggie
Adventurer

Oddometer: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ-Bill View Post
I just do not get the no character and appliance comments. Is it too reliable? Too smooth? Is it that you can ride it to Alaska without bringing a ton of spare parts?

If instead of BMW sourcing a Rotax engine for their F-series, they used a (BMW labeled) copy of the Vstrom 650 V-twin and left the rest of the bike the same, I bet people would be raving about the F-series' soul and character. This argument sounds like its more about ego than mechanical performance, aka character.
^^^quote of the year right there. I totally agree.
texas_aggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 02:26 PM   #63
dbarale
Squiddly slow

Oddometer: 1,168
Quote:
Originally Posted by firebrick View Post
Maybe it's just me....
Nope, just different strokes for different folks. My Wee is NOT the most exciting bike I've owned but it works for me at this point in my life...
dbarale is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 06:02 PM   #64
Sp4Mike
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 217
Quote:
Originally Posted by glasswave View Post

A tw200 might seem attractive, in the same way that a virginal 19 yo southern baptist southern farm girl may, but in the end after the excitement of a first ride or two, she'll refuse to do what you really want.
I almost ROFLCOPTERED after reading that.

That's one step over rolling on the floor laughing, because you are also kicking your feet making you spin around like a helicopter!

On topic though, I feel the same about my DR650. It's a great bike, but just doesn't give me wood when I open the garage door.
Sp4Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 08:17 PM   #65
2whl-hoop
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 851
Quote:
It is the perfect bike of course. I have a shit load of fire gear loaded on it tonight cause I'm shipped to a different station tomorrow and it will handle the commute with ease. No drama. Damn.

I have exactly the same thoughts about mine, a 2012. Right now, I've got it set up as an ADV tourer with knobbies and luggage, but I keep on looking at DRs and Bonnevilles even though I know they'd be a day to day compromise.

I think the best solution would be to keep the DL and find something cheap to play with. Maybe an SV or a dirt bike, etc.

...temptation...temptation....
2whl-hoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 05:40 PM   #66
PhiSig1071
What's ******width?

Oddometer: 2,142
Quote:
Maybe it's just me....
Nah, I don't think so. I desperately want a DL650, but I don't want to sell my GSXR or my DRZ to get it (so I'm waiting). I want the fun of the DRZ or the GSXR, and I know the DL really isn't going to give me that. I want a work-a-day bike, commute (I carry a ton of gear too), weekend trips, go visit a buddy in Amarillo, make a run to San Diego, etc. But if I want to go on a fun ride I'll be taking the GSXR for pavement or the DRZ for dirt.

It's funny, I was looking at DL's on the local Craigslist and one guys ad said something about "Never Commuted, never did any trips, just short fun weekend rides around town". And my first thought was "Why the hell did you buy a 'Strom for that?"

Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem
PhiSig1071 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 06:27 PM   #67
firebrick OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 891
May have the opportunity to pick up a ninja 250 again for $1200. It may cure my small bike fever.
Old 07-07-2013, 06:48 PM   #68
welder
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,520
just test rode a 2013 demo. all I can say is wow. Coming off a klr 650 it is like stepping into the 21st century. power, comfort, smoothness, brakes, handling. the thing practically rides itself! I can't wait to get my hands on one. Just need to sell my one remaining bike, (78 cb550). I honestly cannot see how someone could not love this bike.
Old 07-07-2013, 06:51 PM   #69
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Oddometer: 4,573
Quote:
Originally Posted by welder View Post
just test rode a 2013 demo. all I can say is wow. Coming off a klr 650 it is like stepping into the 21st century. power, comfort, smoothness, brakes, handling. the thing practically rides itself! I can't wait to get my hands on one. Just need to sell my one remaining bike, (78 cb550). I honestly cannot see how someone could not love this bike.
Just don't ever ride a Tiger XC.

Baby steps...
browneye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 08:03 PM   #70
welder
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,520
Quote:
Originally Posted by browneye View Post
Just don't ever ride a Tiger XC.

Baby steps...
Maybe you did not read my post . I came off a klr 650. I am too cheap to spend the money needed to buy a tiger xc
Old 07-07-2013, 11:00 PM   #71
Jud
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,124
Same thing happened to me,,,,,,,, and I still have it something like 50K miles and 4 years later!

I bought a used one at a great price thinking that if I hated it, I could easily sell it. I bought it at a place that was about 8 hours away and by the time I got home,,,,, I hated it. Coming from a FJR it sucked on the highway. Lethargic as hell, wouldn't pull a greasy string out of a cat's ass. To little wind protection and what there was, too much turbulence. The next time I rode it I hit a lot of dirt roads including a lot really rough, rarely maintained trails that were really rocky and rutted. Also hit several water crossing. By this time I really hated it.

Later that day my mind was made up for me by a preggers doe,,,,,, I smacked her at around 80mph. Tore the bike all to hell. Basically bent the forks back to where the front tire hit the skid plate, broke literally every piece of plastic fairing on the bike. Bent up my Jessie panniers. One it was ruined it became mine because I hate losing money so it would be either felling wrecked and lose money, fix and lose money or fix it and keep till the wheels fall off.

I did a lot of modding and I'd say I spent around 2K$ modding and fixing. To fix the bent forks I used a set of DR650 fork tubes and internals, added a set of Ricor Intimidators sized for the DR tubes but valved for the DL. Added a custom Ricor shock that longer and has about an inch more travel. E-Bayed all the plastic, usually it was beat-up, wrecked plastic that was scratched up. Painted it all OD green and black. Added a 14T front and 50T rear sprocket.

Now the bike rocks for the money I have in it. It handles better on and off road. I can actually jump water breaks now without bottoming out!

Seriously, just try adding lower gearing {you may not want to go as low as I but I'll tell you, it makes for much funner commutes,,,, wheelies!!!} and possibly adding at least the Ricor Intimidators with proper springs [I'm running .90s}. If your chain is nearly new, just try a 14T front,,,,, cheap, like under 20$ and it'll make a world of difference on the wimpy ass Wee. The Intimidators were around 200$ and it's an easy install. The springs were around 100$ if I remember right. For less than 400$ it'll totally change the bike. Seriously,,,, try it.
Blue Skies Coming
Jud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 01:19 AM   #72
veriest1
Grand NOOBlet

Oddometer: 2,276
Quote:
Dr650 tubes
I like the sound of that. Got pics of this setup? How much clearance do you think it gained?
veriest1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 03:57 AM   #73
jrporter
n00b

Oddometer: 8
I read this thread with much interest as I am contemplating the purchase of a V-Strom 650. I am 63, bikeless for the time being, but have ridden since the late 1960s and have owned a number of bikes including a H-D Road King and a BMW 1150GS. Life to me is exciting in and of itself so I am having trouble sorting out how riding a V-Strom can diminish that for some. I live in Western VA about five minutes from where the Blue Ridge Parkway and Skyline Drive converge. I also live within a half hour of access to endless gravel roads in Virginias National Forest so my goal in using a new bike is not breakneck speed but instead to ride cautiously and enjoy some beautiful scenery. I want my bike to be more like an invisible tool that gives me access to two-wheel adventures that arise from 360 degree views of natures wonder. I live in the woods where numerous critters come to my window including the fellow shown below. My concerns are the dreaded 4700-5100 RPM vibration and the weight/power ratio (my weight and the bikes power). I am sorry for the OP and others for whom the 650 V-Strom did not tickle their fancy, but I suppose we all have our own particular concerns and priorities...

jrporter screwed with this post 07-08-2013 at 05:33 AM
jrporter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 04:41 AM   #74
fragile_this_side_up
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,044
If you were closer to me, i'd let you take my 2012 for a spin.
Old 07-08-2013, 06:41 AM   #75
nevermind
sLOW Rider

Oddometer: 2,833
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrporter View Post
I suppose we all have our own particular concerns and priorities...

Fine looking dog ya have there! Do you plan on taking him with on rides? Maybe a sidecar rig would work better for you!
nevermind is offline   Reply With Quote