Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-08-2013, 07:08 AM   #76
firebrick OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 882
It's really not that big of a deal to me. Like we said, first world problems right? It could be that riding is taking a backseat to other priorities in my life right now. Maybe the vstrom is taking some unwarranted degradation from myself. It really is a perfect do it all bike. I'm bikepolar, I go through a lot of bikes, :) But this is the fastest I've ever gotten bored with one. My advise would be to not buy a brand new one. Because used, they are probably the best all round bike for the money. I shouldn't buy new bikes with this syndrome but I never learn, ask my wife.
Old 07-08-2013, 08:10 AM   #77
jrporter
n00b

Oddometer: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by firebrick View Post
It's really not that big of a deal to me. Like we said, first world problems right? It could be that riding is taking a backseat to other priorities in my life right now. Maybe the vstrom is taking some unwarranted degradation from myself. It really is a perfect do it all bike. I'm bikepolar, I go through a lot of bikes, :) But this is the fastest I've ever gotten bored with one. My advise would be to not buy a brand new one. Because used, they are probably the best all round bike for the money. I shouldn't buy new bikes with this syndrome but I never learn, ask my wife.
As I embark on getting what I hope to be my last bike, I really appreciate your contributing your experiences and candor in further explaining. In the guitar world it is called GAS or guitar acquisition syndrome. It has not made it into DSM V, but it is very real. A new 2013 V-Strom appeals to me due to 0% Suzuki financing, the warranty, and the Thunder Grey color. As I previously stated, I want my next bike to offer access to neat places but is in itself fairly invisible as an extension of my body. I want a reliable machine that will handle my 250 lbs with short stints on the interstate (maybe a max. of 25 miles) but daylong rides on country and forest service roads. I am neither as strong nor as flexible as I used to be so I also want something that is easier to manage size-wise than my previous Beemer & Hog...
jrporter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 08:13 AM   #78
greywolf
Unpaved road avoider

Oddometer: 974
The 4700rpm vibration is practically non existent unless crash bars are added. They can pick up the harmonic and amplify it. Putting a piece of rubber between the bar joinery in front usually kills that.

in order of ownership
1971 Honda CB350, 2 1973 Honda CB500s, one was stolen, 1974 Can-Am 175 TNT, 1978 Yamaha XS11, 1978 Honda CX500, 1975 BMW R90S, 1983 BMW R65LS, 2005 Suzuki DL650 totaled, 2007 Suzuki DL650A, 2012 Suzuki DL650A
greywolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 08:27 AM   #79
ianbh
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 286
Just finished a quick trip to the SE (3,000 miles) on my 2013 DL650. It had 50 miles on it when I left. (I cried large tears when dumping that fresh oil).

Liked the bike even better than my 07.

SW crash bars, didn't notice any vibration but I'm 71 and dead below my neck.

Ian, Iowa
ianbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 09:19 AM   #80
Jaseun
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 368
Question for the OP, have you ridden a TW200? I had one many years ago and I really liked it. But it is definitely happier when ridden below 50mph. It'll make it to 65, but it's not suggested. Mine was a 5 speed, and I think they still are? The suspension is quite inadequate for any real hardcore trail riding, but it's fine for plodding along at a leisurely pace. I have an XT-225 right now and I feel it's the absolute best all around bike I've ever owned. And I've owned quite a bit of them in my 25 years of riding.

If I hadn't just bought a burgman 400 I'd be buying your VeeStrom
Jaseun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 09:19 AM   #81
WitchCityBallabio
Guzzi weirdo

Oddometer: 752
Quote:
Sold my 2005 ninja 250 to buy a new 2013 dl650a. While the strom is probably the most practical bike Ive ever owned, Im seriously thinking about getting rid of it at 1500 miles. While its much smaller than some bikes Ive owned, gl1500, ultra classic, it still feels too big. Im no longer taking long trips, Im just using it to go back and forth to work. Why can't I love this bike when it does everything I want without any problems. Im thinking about going back to a Ural even after all the issues I had with them. Im even thinking about a tw200. Im trying to talk myself out of taking such a big monetary hit but I miss being excited to hop on the bike to go to work. Ill reiterate, the strom is probably the most practical, useful, well thought out bike Ive owned to date, but damn I just cant get excited about it :(
This is what you need.

Fun to ride, loads of character. It'll put a smile on your face every time you hit the starter button.
1966 Moto Guzzi Stornello
IBA # 35648
WitchCityBallabio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 09:20 AM   #82
Jaseun
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 368
that's hot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WitchCityBallabio View Post
This is what you need.

Fun to ride, loads of character. It'll put a smile on your face every time you hit the starter button.
Jaseun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 12:17 PM   #83
firebrick OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 882
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaseun View Post
Question for the OP, have you ridden a TW200? I had one many years ago and I really liked it. But it is definitely happier when ridden below 50mph. It'll make it to 65, but it's not suggested. Mine was a 5 speed, and I think they still are? The suspension is quite inadequate for any real hardcore trail riding, but it's fine for plodding along at a leisurely pace. I have an XT-225 right now and I feel it's the absolute best all around bike I've ever owned. And I've owned quite a bit of them in my 25 years of riding.

If I hadn't just bought a burgman 400 I'd be buying your VeeStrom
I have not. Was going to go look at them and the new xt250. Inquired about an xt225 on CL but it was gone. Most of my riding back and forth to work is below 45mph which makes this highway capable dl650 overkill. I may pick up a cheap ninja 250 post the strom on CL. Hate to lose 2 grand in such a short time but I'm not even riding to work anymore. Rather drive my wrangler.
Old 07-08-2013, 02:36 PM   #84
Jud
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,129
Quote:
Originally Posted by veriest1 View Post
I like the sound of that. Got pics of this setup? How much clearance do you think it gained?

Do a search on my name here and on Stromtroppers {my name on Stromtroppers is Judd I think}. Whole write up. As far as pics, the only thing you would notice is no pre-load adjusters and a set of bar risers that raise and move the bars back toward the rider. I had to run those to give the longer DR tubes room. If you have any specific questions, PM me and I'll shoot you my number.
Blue Skies Coming
Jud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 02:37 PM   #85
Jud
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
I have not. Was going to go look at them and the new xt250. Inquired about an xt225 on CL but it was gone. Most of my riding back and forth to work is below 45mph which makes this highway capable dl650 overkill. I may pick up a cheap ninja 250 post the strom on CL. Hate to lose 2 grand in such a short time but I'm not even riding to work anymore. Rather drive my wrangler.
The TW200 wouldn't make you too happy on tarmac. My wife had one and while it's a hoot,,,, it wouldn't be as an only bike.
Blue Skies Coming
Old 07-08-2013, 03:24 PM   #86
soldierguy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 452
I keep hearing people talk about the vibes between 4700-5100-ish rpm. I dunno...either I have a non-vibe bike or some people are extremely sensitive to vibes.

Mine has a slight...very slight increase in vibes around that point on the tach. So slight that I really don't notice it. I've got the Givi crash bars, which some say make it worse. Mine don't.

If your wee vibes a lot, I'd recommend the following: small rubber washers on the crash bar mounts, and make sure the throttles are correctly synced. I think v-twins may be more susceptible to vibes if the throttles are even a small amount out of whack.

'13 Yamaha Super Tenere - my dream bike
SOLD: '13 Wee-Strom, hacked, re-geared, Ohlins suspension
My Wee-Strom Hack
soldierguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 03:58 PM   #87
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Oddometer: 4,617
Guzzi V7 Racer

I think I'm in love...

Tell me about power and performance on this one:

browneye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 06:29 PM   #88
Jud
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by browneye View Post
I think I'm in love...

Tell me about power and performance on this one:

Power and performance are better than a real 50s Cafe Bike but it's definatly middling in 2013. It's a looker, not a haul the mailer.

I like the V7 range too but don't expect much in leading edge performance.
Blue Skies Coming
Old 07-08-2013, 08:07 PM   #89
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Oddometer: 4,617
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jud View Post
Power and performance are better than a real 50s Cafe Bike but it's definatly middling in 2013. It's a looker, not a haul the mailer.

I like the V7 range too but don't expect much in leading edge performance.

I had heard of the Griso but not seen one, had never heard of the V7 'till witchcity posted the stone pic. Went to Moto Guzzi USA and got a eye full. So I was really curious about the 700 performance. What terrific looking machines, all of them - Griso, V7 series, and Stelvio. I like that this one is right at 400lbs. Just 50 hp though.

Still, it creates a nice itch. I need to test one out, and a Monster. I dunno, the shaft drive and Guzzi style is really attractive. I'd probly opt for the stone, save the $$, and get the more sedate bike. The black one is just bitchin'.

THANKS FOR NOTHING GUYS.

browneye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 08:53 PM   #90
JRNisley
Adventurer

Oddometer: 11
Wow, this thread kinda threw me for a loop. I love em all ! ! !

I have (13) total, from a 1976 Honda CB750A to as current as a 2007 Yamaha Royal Star Venture with California Sidecar II. Yes, my wife spoils me.

While all have their strengths, and all have their weaknesses - I find the fun in them all.

JRNisley is offline   Reply With Quote