Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-08-2013, 09:21 PM   #91
pluric
Gimpy Adventurer

Oddometer: 15,991
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaseun View Post
Question for the OP, have you ridden a TW200? I had one many years ago and I really liked it. But it is definitely happier when ridden below 50mph. It'll make it to 65, but it's not suggested. Mine was a 5 speed, and I think they still are? The suspension is quite inadequate for any real hardcore trail riding, but it's fine for plodding along at a leisurely pace. I have an XT-225 right now and I feel it's the absolute best all around bike I've ever owned. And I've owned quite a bit of them in my 25 years of riding.

If I hadn't just bought a burgman 400 I'd be buying your VeeStrom
That's interesting. I bought one for my wife and thought it was the worst bike I've
ever owned. I normally can enjoy most any bike...just not that one.

Bought a KLX 250 and put a Bill Blue 351 kit on it. Now that's a fun ride.

For commuting few bikes put a smile on my face like a good scooter for urban traffic.
The Vespa feels squirrelly compared to the longer wheelbase Hondas. I bought a third
Reflex for my daughter in law for passing the motorcycle training course.

pluric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 10:24 PM   #92
Jud
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,082
Quote:
Originally Posted by browneye View Post
I had heard of the Griso but not seen one, had never heard of the V7 'till witchcity posted the stone pic. Went to Moto Guzzi USA and got a eye full. So I was really curious about the 700 performance. What terrific looking machines, all of them - Griso, V7 series, and Stelvio. I like that this one is right at 400lbs. Just 50 hp though.

Still, it creates a nice itch. I need to test one out, and a Monster. I dunno, the shaft drive and Guzzi style is really attractive. I'd probly opt for the stone, save the $$, and get the more sedate bike. The black one is just bitchin'.

THANKS FOR NOTHING GUYS.

It was just a concept but google V7 Scrambler.
Blue Skies Coming
Jud is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 04:34 AM   #93
fragile_this_side_up
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,030
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrporter View Post
As I embark on getting what I hope to be my last bike, I really appreciate your contributing your experiences and candor in further explaining. In the guitar world it is called GAS or guitar acquisition syndrome. It has not made it into DSM V, but it is very real. A new 2013 V-Strom appeals to me due to 0% Suzuki financing, the warranty, and the Thunder Grey color. As I previously stated, I want my next bike to offer access to neat places but is in itself fairly invisible as an extension of my body. I want a reliable machine that will handle my 250 lbs with short stints on the interstate (maybe a max. of 25 miles) but daylong rides on country and forest service roads. I am neither as strong nor as flexible as I used to be so I also want something that is easier to manage size-wise than my previous Beemer & Hog...
the more i read your posts the more i want you to get on my Vstrom quickly. I think it really is the bike that you're looking for.
Old 07-09-2013, 05:01 AM   #94
jrporter
n00b

Oddometer: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by fragile_this_side_up View Post
the more i read your posts the more i want you to get on my Vstrom quickly. I think it really is the bike that you're looking for.
I can easily make the run down the Valley. Please PM your particulars...
jrporter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 11:12 AM   #95
fragile_this_side_up
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,030
http://rideapart.com/2012/02/why-you...oull-ever-rid/

i like that review of the Vstrom. it sums up my experience.
Old 07-10-2013, 08:57 PM   #96
ArmSC
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 134
Great review...

As far as the OP not liking the strom hey different strokes...that's why they make so many different models. GL in finding something you love there's so many good bikes out there.

"Faithless is he who says farewell when the road darkens."
ArmSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 11:48 PM   #97
Pecha72
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,354
Quote:
Originally Posted by fragile_this_side_up View Post
I do agree on that article for the most part. But...

“Squeeze the front lever as hard as you can, stomp on the rear, and the Suzuki just stops. No drama, no vibration, no weird feedback from the ABS unit. These are some of the most reassuring, powerful, easy-to-use motorcycle brakes ever. “

The older model was said to have “wooden” brakes, and it was sorta true, too. Newer model has improved, but only a little bit, and brake feel still leaves a lot of room for improvement. For me, the brakes are okay, but basic, and front end does not dive so easily any more, so that improves braking, too. I do agree about ABS, though, it does work extremely well on tarmac and easy gravel. (They forgot to mention that this model has got a newer ABS system compared to the previous model).

“V-Strom’s Trailwings grip solidly from cold “

Naturally the journos usually do not get a chance to try the bikes on anything other than OEM tyres. But for me, those are about the worst tyres I´ve had on the DL650... switch almost any other rubber on, and the feel and handling improves. The Trailwings aren´t dangerous, as I´ve heard somebody say, but they are just old, don´t get particularly great mileage, and pretty much suck in the wet.
Pecha72 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 07:30 AM   #98
mrbreeze
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,040
ymmv, I guess.

We have had a lot of rain so far this year. I think the first several times I rode the bike, I got into some rain. I have not noticed any issue with the tires.

I only have one issue with this bike. For some reason, I have not been able to get a throttle lock to work very well. I am on my third one now, and I expect a Kaoko to arrive at the house today. I may need to go to softer throttle return springs, IDK.

Travels with Maw Maw
mrbreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 12:15 PM   #99
firebrick OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 886
Rode it today without the bags. Strangely transformed the bike. Didnt feel like I was going to smack something with the bags. Unfortunately I need them though as I'm always carrying a bunch of stuff.
Old 07-11-2013, 12:44 PM   #100
Chel_in_IL
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 195
Get a big wolfman duffle bag and leave the side bags at home. :)

We use the TW200's and XT225's in our motorcycle classes. While we also have Nighthawks and Rebels, I hardly ever ride those. The XT is a blast to ride on.

Had an ST1100 for 4 years. Bike took me around Lake Superior and on many trips without fail. I rode that bike in thunderstorms and icey roads. It hauled tons of camping gear with ease. I sold it and my KLR and bought a Versys. Now I have power like my ST and the stupid grin the KLR gave me. My ST friends don't understand, one sold his for a wee. You gotta own the bike that makes you feel like you did with your first love.
http://www.outreach.niu.edu/mcycle/default.shtml
Chel_in_IL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 10:11 PM   #101
ArmSC
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 134
Get a nice big trunk and bungee net. What you can't fit in the trunk bungee to the passenger seat using the trunk to hold it in place. I love having the lockable storage it provides without the bulk/width of the side bags.

"Faithless is he who says farewell when the road darkens."
ArmSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 11:22 AM   #102
unlucky1
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 230
Quote:
Originally Posted by RideDualSport.com View Post
I hear what your saying... and this is the cure!
One of the most visceral motorcycle I have ever ridden.
It is in the flea market - only because I bought a Super Tenere.
I know I will regret it... maybe it won't sell...
I wasn't going to mention it but I think you might be onto something here
unlucky1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 02:17 PM   #103
Jud
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,082
I rented a Ully for a week in Kauai and put something like 500-600 miles on it. Considering Kauai has less than 300 miles of paved roads,,,, that's pretty good. Bone stock, it handles better than the Strom on and off tarmac, has more power {the nearly instantaneous torque was wonderful} and it has a lot more character. Drawbacks is a short fuel range {I averaged around 150-175miles if I remember}, the 17 inch front isn't as smooth off tarmac as the DL's 19 and finally, it is a defunct brand that didn't have near the reputation for reliability as the DL {or any UJM for that matter}.

As much as I liked the Ully,,,,, I choose the DL due to the Ully's drawbacks. Had the range been better, had the bike had a 19, had the bike had a better rep for reliability,,,, the Ully woulda been a slam dunk. As I said, I thought my decision to choose the DL650 was the wrong one at first and had I not taken the time and money to seriously mod the bike, it woulda been sold. Compare the stock DL to a Ford Explorer. It's the motorcycle equal to a boring but reliable SUV that is very versatile. If one chooses to spend just a few bucks on a few mods, it really helps the bike be better at the things the stock DL can do,,,,, just isn't very good at. No, the mods don't turn a sow's ear into a silk purse BUT,,, it really makes the bike much better and even with the extra money that the mods cost, it's very cost effective. If costs {either intial cost or cost of ownership} don't matter, get something else.
Blue Skies Coming
Jud is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 08:12 PM   #104
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 17,528
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chel_in_IL View Post
Get a big wolfman duffle bag and leave the side bags at home. :)

We use the TW200's and XT225's in our motorcycle classes. While we also have Nighthawks and Rebels, I hardly ever ride those. The XT is a blast to ride on.

Had an ST1100 for 4 years. Bike took me around Lake Superior and on many trips without fail. I rode that bike in thunderstorms and icey roads. It hauled tons of camping gear with ease. I sold it and my KLR and bought a Versys. Now I have power like my ST and the stupid grin the KLR gave me. My ST friends don't understand, one sold his for a wee. You gotta own the bike that makes you feel like you did with your first love.
a very sweet, light and waterproof soft luggage setup is
a Giant Coyote bag sitting on the rear of the seat strapped to the front edge of a rear rack plate. this carries clothes up high and heavier item down low. then use a Wolfman dry duffel strapped to the rear rack w/ Rox straps for all your camping gear and such.

it's very narrow in the wind and light compared to hard luggage. you don't need any additional racks on your bike (weight) as the Giant Loop comes with a muffler protector.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Butler Maps website:
http://www.butlermaps.com
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 09:24 AM   #105
amk
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 467
I totally agree with OP

To my taste, the newer model 2012 does not do anything good. It even gets worse, the first generation was simply ugly, the new one is gay’s bike by its look. (Do gays ride?) It acquired useless ABS which coasts money, weight, and reliability; Suzuki does not cut enough mass, put no noticeable improvement in suspension/wind management/balance/ergo, no common sense at all, and it swapped the oil cooler for massive harness of hoses and pipes, whichever is uglier?

After 4 years of ownership and nearly 90 000 kilometres I finally sold mine DL650 K7. Now I am bikeless, nothing comes even remotely close to my former ride.
There were several reasons to sell, first was the mileage. It does not matter the bike is easily capable to run 200K miles, not kilometres, without an overhaul, in my area all bikes are selling with about 30K, more than that, and you are suspected in dealing junk.
But the most serious was my riding requirements. I am a weekend camper. It means I took off on Friday evening, made 500 slab km toward BC mountains, sleep in a tent, next morning do another 300 km on a slab, then 200 or so km of forest roads, sleep again in different place, and spend Sunday on a run back home, 1000 to 1500 km on a slab. Now, DL shined everywhere, but those 200 km of forest unmaintained mountain roads. I am speaking about very short parts of them, like 500 meters at the most, where avalanche debris were not removed yet, or a washed out bride was not restored. No matter what suspension upgrade I made, beside of usual springs/valves/shock mine had true 170 mm of travel, front and back, still, riding solo, I was not able to get over those obstacles. It was hard to come to realisation, what I could easily pass through on different machines like DR or KLR, I could not do on the Wee. I learned to turn back and knew my limitations, many roads remained unexplored by me. There problem is, the bikes that easily overcome river fords, fallen timber, or icy rutted slopes cannot get me to them. KLR is worthless on a slab and utterly unreliable junk, and DR does not come as a kit of motor, frame and wheals, an owner strips it down, throws away tank and seat, replaces them, adds luggage mounts, a screen, changes fork and shock and calls the ugly as hell outcome a “build.”
I can easily go on for ages on how motorcycle industry does not produce the bike I need, but that is fruitless, is not it? Anyway, I am seriously thinking to get a first gen DL650, K6 this time, back.
amk is offline   Reply With Quote