Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-19-2014, 05:25 PM   #121
frog13
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,263
Quote:
Originally Posted by glasswave View Post
For your use, I'd go with a super moto w/ a top case or side cases if they wouldn't carry all my gear easily.

A drz sm 400 is a good choice or if you want to be a total hooligan a KTM 990 smr or smt. WoooWhoooo!!!

A tw200 might seem attractive, in the same way that a virginal 19 yo southern baptist southern farm girl may, but in the end after the excitement of a first ride or two, she'll refuse to do what you really want.
The last sentence is less than accurate, in reference to the TW.
frog13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 07:13 PM   #122
happyclam
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 107
So Firebrick, What have you decided? This thread was very entertaining. I have a dl650 and a transalp. If I could blend them both, I'd have the perfect bike.( for me). I will probably have to sell one soon, and it's killing me on which one has to go.
happyclam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 03:53 AM   #123
PeterW
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,459
Here's the thing, I ride every day, so for me a 'good' bike is a balance between "Oh yeah !" and "You know, that REALLY pissed me off" The DL is so far away from the "REALLY pissed me off" end of things that I'll live with the looks and the power. I can understand though, if it's basically a garage queen, you'd want something more exciting - point is, at present there's no bike that does the "Oh yeah !" without significant downsides. Pete
PeterW is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 06:37 AM   #124
KDXfile
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 150
I kinda like the looks of the newer DL650's but the main thing keeping me away is the cheap looking 3-spoke wheels.
KDXfile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 06:45 AM   #125
Foot dragger
singletracker

Oddometer: 12,769
Quote:
Originally Posted by firebrick View Post
Working for the fire department I needed a bike that I could carry all my gear if I got shipped to another station. The Ural did that easily. The strom does it pretty easy with those big side cases. The ninja 250 didn't do it very well. Maybe a tw200 with a huge rear rack would make me smile again. I didn't even ride to work today because I looked at the bike and said, eh, I'll drive.
I had a 1000 Strom,then traded a clunker for a 650 Strom. Neither Strom did much for me.

Only bikes I ever kept covered full time and hid around the corner of the house,the 1000 didnt like to be pushed hard on backroads,drug bottom too easy then pushed the front,too long handled like a truck.
The 650 was a pogo-stick with harsh yet wallowy suspension,but many people love em to death.

They are appliances,if your not at all picky they are fine.
Old 03-21-2014, 06:49 AM   #126
Foot dragger
singletracker

Oddometer: 12,769
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyoma View Post
OMG, this guy's mind is totally enclosed and living in his own world. Sorry mate, you can't be saved.
That is one of the strangest short stories Ive seen on here,didnt have time to read it all though.
Old 03-21-2014, 10:42 AM   #127
Traumat1x
Adventurer

Oddometer: 33
I've owned a few bikes including aHonda NSR 250 and a TransAlp.
I wanted a bike with ABS for commuting in the wet but also for riding solo and pillion.

Before even the reliability and great fuel consumption was in the picture I test rode a few bikes. 1200gs 800gs, newer 650gs, 2011 vstrom 650 and a 2012 Vstrom 650.

Out of all the bikes I rode the 2012 vstrom was my bike the moment I rode out the dealership for the test ride.
It did everything I wanted to.

If you were doing a lot of offroad maybe the f800 is better, but vibrations and steering wandering at higher speed. 1200gs great for 2 up but for commuting it's just too big for me and way too expensive. It's not 100 or 200% better than the vstrom. 650 gs... No thanks.

This past weekend I rode some passes 2 up with top box loaded.
Performed flawlessly, comfortably and did an average of 4.3l per 100km.

I think I'll upgrade to a new 2014/2015 vstrom one day if it's anything like this Wee2

I don't see this lack of character thing either. The twisties was great fun and more than kept up.
It's character is that it's a trusty steed, like the Lone Rangers horse Silver.
Traumat1x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 08:29 PM   #128
MariusD
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 488
I find the vstron is very much like the tenere in that if used as intended, it is loved and appreciated. However, if your use doesn't match the bike's intent, then you and the bike will not agree. The vstrom is designed to be a cost effective daily commuter/traveler. After having ridden tons of other bikes, I am fully convinced that there simply does not exist another bike on the market today at this price point that suits this purpose as well as the vstrom. Comfort, agility, sufficient power. That's the goal the vstrom achieves with tremendeous praise. But if your intent is spirited rides on the weekend, this bike is not for u. So, basically, if you need a bike for a purpose of comfortably and cheaply getting places day in and day out,near and far, without any drama, you will love this bike. If your looking for any kind of an adrenaline rush, skip it.

MariusD screwed with this post 03-21-2014 at 08:36 PM
MariusD is offline   Reply With Quote