User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-14-2013, 01:30 PM   #1
jdub OP
Dawg bytes reel gud

Oddometer: 1,698
950 Adv Electrical/Starting Problem

Hoping I can get some ideas here on a fix for a problem I likely self-induced, and I'm baffled where to go next.

Just installed new steering head bearings and a GPS mount & wiring harness on my new-to-me 2004 950 Adventure. I kept the handlebars mounted to the top triple clamp while doing the bearings, just moving it slightly aft out of the way while ensuring there was no apparent stress on any wires or cables. I ran the GPS wires from the handlebars down to the battery and hooked them up directly with an in-line fuse.

The bike had been starting fine before this maintenance, but when I first turned on the key there was now no power at all (none to the instruments and the fuel pump didn't run either). I went right to the 30 amp main fuse at the starter relay (checked visually and with my multimeter) and it was fine. Checked all visible wires, connectors and the battery connections, nothing out of order that I could see.

Tried the key again and now I had power (instruments and fuel pump), but as soon as I pushed the starter button I heard a loud click and lost power to the instruments again. Jiggled the wires going into the ignition switch and nothing happened, but when I moved the handlebars back and forth power came back. Hit the starter button, hear a click, lose power. This cycle just keeps repeating every time I try it. Main fuse is still OK, as is the ignition fuse in the "glove box" or whatever the official term is for the compartment on the tank.

Getting power back when I move the bars back and forth tells me I likely have a short/broken/loose wire somewhere (where I don't know), and I'm really baffled how that relates to losing power every time when I hit the starter button.

Any help would be really be appreciated, as I'm bummed I can't get out and ride my new toy!

Thanks in advance....
Old 07-14-2013, 02:12 PM   #2
Head2Wind
MotorcycleMayhem

Oddometer: 2,490
re-verify that the battery cables are tight. If they are, then check the plugs where the handle bar cables plug in behind the head light and verify that they are fully seated.
I just had a "intermittent" running motorcycle problem for a customer... seems that the + battery terminal bolt was replaced with a longer one... the bolt was "tight" but the terminals where loose.... the bolt was bottoming out on the opposite side of the battery terminal keeping it from compressing the cable terminals to the battery terminal....

If you have a multimeter you will be able to "see" what is going on in different circuits.
Head2Wind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 02:24 PM   #3
jdub OP
Dawg bytes reel gud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Head2Wind View Post
I just had a "intermittent" running motorcycle problem for a customer... seems that the + battery terminal bolt was replaced with a longer one... the bolt was "tight" but the terminals where loose.... the bolt was bottoming out on the opposite side of the battery terminal keeping it from compressing the cable terminals to the battery terminal....
You might be on to something here.

I forgot to mention that I found the original battery terminal bolts were only engaging a couple of threads so I installed longer bolts when I fitted the GPS harness - but maybe too long and I might have to fit another washer or two under their heads as spacers.

It might be a few days until I can check this out, but thanks for the idea! I'll let you know the outcome.
Old 07-14-2013, 02:31 PM   #4
Head2Wind
MotorcycleMayhem

Oddometer: 2,490
I suggest that you also consider removing the cables that are connected to the battery cover. I find that they just introduce another problem/failure point.... They are intended for "jumping" the battery, but I have never used them and they just take up space on the terminal. You should be able to remove them and use the OEM bolts with the main cables and the extra GPS cable terminals and still have good engagement with the bolt to nut.
Head2Wind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 11:39 PM   #5
Bkrazy
n00b

Oddometer: 7
You sure the battery is not flat? might have enough juice to power up instrument cluster, but not start it...
Bkrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 03:07 AM   #6
jdub OP
Dawg bytes reel gud

H2W - Thanks for that suggestion on the cables, makes sense to me.

Bkrazy - The bike started fine just three days ago so I'd be surprised if the battery died that quickly, but stranger things have happened. The battery was showing 12.65 volts static when I checked it yesterday, but I'll hook up the Battery Tender just in case.

Thanks for the inputs.
Old 07-16-2013, 05:19 PM   #7
jdub OP
Dawg bytes reel gud

It's alive!!!

The battery terminals seemed snug enough when I checked them, but I disconnected them and removed the battery to check out everything a bit better. I noticed an in-line fuse holder above the battery box (first pic below), pulled it out, opened it and found a 25 amp fuse with an interesting burn mark on one end (second pic below). Replaced that fuse (still not sure what it's for), and after reinstalling the battery and while tightening the negative terminal bolt found that nut's threads were stripped. Replaced that nut, checked everything over again and it fired right up.

Still unsure exactly what happened here, but at least I found the problems and the bike is good to go. Can't wait to ride it now with those new, smooth steering head bearings.

Thanks for the help and ideas!