ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Northeast - Greater Flugistan and home of the carpet baggers.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-29-2013, 06:43 PM   #1
wyomingriviera OP
Ghostface Killah

Oddometer: 212
Greenville Maine

Anybody from here? Or been here? Heading up this way in a month or so with some buddies, and I'm looking for lodging. Is there a big difference between Greenville, and Greenville Junction?

Something cheaper and walking distance to a couple bars would be best. I know it's remote, but there should be at least one bar around, right?

Any info not readily found on the interwebs would be great!
'07 DL650
wyomingriviera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 04:57 AM   #2
sailer
trained Cirus Bear

Oddometer: 771
I stop there once a snowmobile trip I took across maine years ago

http://www.birches.com/

was a nice place at the time, about ten years ago
Old 06-30-2013, 05:08 AM   #3
2twisted
GoodNYou

Oddometer: 2,535
http://www.mooseheadlake.org/

Greenville is a fun lil town, the Juction is on the West side of town with a gas station/store, boat launch and the west cove pub/ bar. In town you have Black frog, Flatlanders (broasted chicken dinner)Rod n reel, Stress free moose (Bloody Mary) Indian hill store has about anything you would need in case you forget something.

when ya hdn up
2twisted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 06:02 AM   #4
Tslapper
WWC Founding Member

Oddometer: 5,562
^ good post. now I'm hungry for chicken.

Walking to bar from hotel might be a little tough distance wise. Indian Hill Motel above town on the way in is basic but expensive. Not much else that isn't a lodge style place nearer to town.

I think the Chalet Moosehead is down in Gville Jct which should get you close enough to walk to west cove pub.
Old 06-30-2013, 03:04 PM   #5
theothersean
dirty boy

Oddometer: 896
sorry to hijack your thread , but .
theotherwife and I will be up that way next week for the 4th , anyone want to do some riding ? we are staying in parkman , we are on the wr's so we will be sticking to the atv trails . likely to do a day up to Greenville or rockwood, 1 day out to the forks through moxie , bingham one day and who knows about the rest .
04 prairie 700 (plow duty)
theothersean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 03:10 PM   #6
NHKTM990
Adventurer

Oddometer: 87
Black Frog has good burgers and a great view on the lake. Been there sledding, good times....
NHKTM990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 04:41 AM   #7
2twisted
GoodNYou

Oddometer: 2,535
Quote:
Originally Posted by theothersean View Post
sorry to hijack your thread , but .
theotherwife and I will be up that way next week for the 4th , anyone want to do some riding ? we are staying in parkman , we are on the wr's so we will be sticking to the atv trails . likely to do a day up to Greenville or rockwood, 1 day out to the forks through moxie , bingham one day and who knows about the rest .
Swing by the Hilton for a visit, not sure if the DR is coming up this trip as it will be a work weekend for me, we will be hdn up Fri. after work.

Tim

hijack over.
2twisted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 05:03 AM   #8
wyomingriviera OP
Ghostface Killah

Thanks for all the info ya'll, google earth couldn't answer all my questions
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2twisted View Post
when ya hdn up
We'll be heading up late July. Leaving vermont, stopping in North Conway, then to Greenville, Portland, Laconia, and back to vermont. We've got the Kanc, bear notch road, and groton state forest on the itinerary. Two Harley's, a VFR, my strom, and an old Moto Guzzi buzzing through a couple states. Should be fun!
'07 DL650
Old 07-08-2013, 02:59 PM   #9
theothersean
dirty boy

Oddometer: 896
We just got back from that area , been going for 13 years, stay at a friends camp so I don't have 1st hand exp with the lodging , but we eat at Kelly's landing every time we go up there, the food is good and is right on the lake , though when they get busy the service can be a bit slow , though we have found that to be the case just about everywhere we go up that way .
http://www.kellysatmoosehead.com/lodging.html
04 prairie 700 (plow duty)
theothersean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 01:55 PM   #10
wyomingriviera OP
Ghostface Killah

Alright, www.mooseheadlodging.com it is then! Can't wait!
'07 DL650
Old 07-12-2013, 09:26 AM   #11
yamahagrizzly
n00b

Oddometer: 3
Go to kellys landing if it is still their.
Best food in the area. (best prime rib i have ever had, at $16 it makes it that much better)

lots of trails in the area also

I have a vacation home in St Albans ME and i can drive to Greenville with less than 3 miles of street riding
yamahagrizzly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 04:41 AM   #12
EvilClown
Reality show stunt double

Oddometer: 15,535
Quote:
Originally Posted by wyomingriviera View Post
Thanks for all the info ya'll, google earth couldn't answer all my questions

We'll be heading up late July. Leaving vermont, stopping in North Conway, then to Greenville, Portland, Laconia, and back to vermont. We've got the Kanc, bear notch road, and groton state forest on the itinerary. Two Harley's, a VFR, my strom, and an old Moto Guzzi buzzing through a couple states. Should be fun!
Route 16 (13 Mile Woods Road) above Berlin would be a nice road for that collection of bikes. Watch yer speed around Gorham/Berlin.

You could also round out your northern NH route with a selection from this menu:

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilClown View Post
Think you mentioned you'd be in Plymouth, NH somewhere so let's start there.

This is not the most direct route but it will take you on some great roads.

Take 175/3/25/113 to Sandwich. Then Sandwich Notch Road (dirt) to 49. Watch your speed here. If you see a LEO there's prolly another up ahead. Take the left off 49 to Tripoli Road (dirt).

That'll dump you onto 175/3 into N. Woodstock. Woodstock Inn is a good lunch stop, btw.

Grab the Kanc (112) out of there (Lincoln is right next to it). Watch your speed on the Kanc.

On the far end of the Kanc look for Passaconaway Road on your left. It beats the rest of the Kanc by a long shot.

Take Passaconaway to Westside Road. Make a left then a right at the stop sign (River Rd). That'll take you to 16/downtown N. Conway.

Cross 16. Weave through the 'hood to Hurricane Mountain Road.

Prolly a good idea to have Google Maps open while reading this to follow along.

Take Hurricane to Green Hill Road. Do what you want but don't skip Hurricane.

Left on Green Hill to 113B then 113. Take that all the way up to 2.

If you want to miss the good stuff make your way to Portland from here.

Alternatively, make a right then a left about a half mile down the road onto Bridge St. Make a left after the bridge. North Road. Nice rip through here but don't get too crazy. A couple of LEOs live on it. At the sharp curve sign they aren't kidding.

This dumps you back on 2.

Make a right then south on 16.

IMO, the Mount Washington Auto Road should be done while you're there.

Head to it. Do it. Make a left when you get back to 16.

At Dolly Copp CAMPGROUND make a left then follow the signs over Pinkham B Road. Dirt.

At the end of that take a left. Follow that down to Valley Road (on left) to Jefferson Notch Road. More dirt. People like to drive on your lane on this one.

At the end of that take a left and run up to see what the Cog Railway is all about then head back to the intersection and make a left onto Clinton Mountain Road. My personal favorite.

That'll dump you onto 302. Make a left. Head to Bartlett and make a right onto Bear Notch Road.

That will dump you back on the Kanc. Make a left. Go ahead and ride it to the end so you can make your own comparison with Passaconaway.

From there find 302 and yawn your way across Maine to Portland.

Yer welcome.
The few dirt roads tucked in there have been done by street bikes but Sandwich Notch Road is not for the faint of heart.

Have a great ride!

The future is no place to place your better days. ~ DMB

ECUADOR: Maintaining Rigid Flexibility
EvilClown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 05:56 AM   #13
wyomingriviera OP
Ghostface Killah

Oh man, looks like I have more homework to do!
'07 DL650
Old 07-29-2013, 07:59 AM   #14
sierraoffroad
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,213
accross from kelly's landing is a place that has broasted chicken. it's to die for. i can't remember the name. it's a small place. the service has always been very good. don't for get to stop at the indian trader post. they have gas, groceries, guns, liquor, etc. take a look at lilly bay cabins, and or beaver cove camping.
sierraoffroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 08:06 AM   #15
Tslapper
WWC Founding Member

Oddometer: 5,562
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraoffroad View Post
accross from kelly's landing is a place that has broasted chicken. it's to die for. i can't remember the name. it's a small place. the service has always been very good. don't for get to stop at the indian trader post. they have gas, groceries, guns, liquor, etc. take a look at lilly bay cabins, and or beaver cove camping.
Flatlanders is where the chicken is but it's in town, more across from the Black Frog. You are right about it being good.