ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks > GPS Tracks - Oz and Kiwi Land
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-29-2013, 11:10 PM   #1
TcRulz OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 289
Need some specific Aussie help with my GPS.

Hi guys, it's like the title says and if I post in the Garmin forum the yanks won't understand, so I'm hoping the 'Mods' are sympathetic and put me in the right place.

My Garmin Montana doesn't recognise the 'ACT' as a state and it's too long for the display window when written out fully. So there's no going to our capital

Also if you put the address that you want to get too, most of the time the street number won't be known by the GPS and it will give you other street numbers to choose from that will either be short or longer than your destination. The GPS just cracks the sh#ts when you don't arrive at the programmed destination.

Guys had this thing about a year and it was unusable until now as it would continually shut it self down and reboot. Fixed by two foam ear plugs stopping battery vibrating Any help appreciated.
TcRulz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 11:15 PM   #2
Jdeks
Departed

Oddometer: 943
It's not the Montana, it's the maps that you're using.

So - what maps are you using?
Jdeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 11:21 PM   #3
Riot
Tiger Rider

Oddometer: 104
Go Here --> http://www.garmin.com/au/support/
Make sure you have the latest firmware & maps
If you still have an issue go back there and log your issue.
I have found them excellent service wise, but you will need to spell out EXACTLY each issue.
like..
When setting a destination in Canberra, ACT is not recognised as an abbreviation of the state "Australian Capital Territory". Additionally the full state name is too long to fit into the provided space.
Riot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 11:29 PM   #4
TcRulz OP
Gnarly Adventurer

I've got all the maps it came loaded with. The only one that looks relevant to Oz is the 'Topo Australia and New Zealand v3' map. I have looked on the Garmin web site in the past but couldn't find any maps to buy. Appreciate the help, Cheers.
Old 06-29-2013, 11:40 PM   #5
Jdeks
Departed

Hm that's odd. I'm using the same Garmin Topo maps, but in v4, and "Australian Capital Terr..." comes up for me. if I just go to "spell state", type in "A" and hit go, it brings up "Australian Capital ..." as the only option.

Sounds like a corrupted mapset if it's not appearing for you.
Old 06-30-2013, 12:31 AM   #6
Morro
like a ship in the night

Oddometer: 240
Quote:
Originally Posted by TcRulz View Post
I've got all the maps it came loaded with. The only one that looks relevant to Oz is the 'Topo Australia and New Zealand v3' map. I have looked on the Garmin web site in the past but couldn't find any maps to buy. Appreciate the help, Cheers.
If you are in Bathurst go up to the LIC on panorama avenue (or phone them) and ask for one of the surveyors to help you. There are 3 or 4 of them ride BMs etc.

Morro
Morro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 01:02 AM   #7
TcRulz OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Hey Jdeks, your the man. That works if I just use the first letter. If I put in 'N' it gives me NSW, NT and the North Island (NZ) as an option. Any chance you guys know the answer to my address issues (I'm a noob at this and feeling it).
Old 06-30-2013, 01:12 AM   #8
TcRulz OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Hi Morro, thanks for the help. I know a surveyor up there that I'll ask, he's a motor cycle riding Ulysses member but I don't think he'll be on top of the 'Montana's' programming....but could be (very smart man with lots of toys).
Old 06-30-2013, 01:18 AM   #9
Jdeks
Departed

Quote:
Hey Jdeks, your the man. That works if I just use the first letter. If I put in 'N' it gives me NSW, NT and the North Island (NZ) as an option. Any chance you guys know the answer to my address issues (I'm a noob at this and feeling it).

I got that too when I used v3. v4 has better address mapping so it happens much less. Mapping individual street numbers is a BIG task, and for a lot of topo-type maps, they often don't do it to a very high level of detail.

TBH, it's never bothered me much. One I get on the street I want, I just manually tell it to stop navigating, and keep my eye peeled for the number I want. If I really want to get an address, I get on google earth, find the GPS co-ords and make a waypoint of it beforehand.

In short - no real solution, other than to update or change maps.
Old 06-30-2013, 04:14 AM   #10
Morro
like a ship in the night

Oddometer: 240
Quote:
Hi Morro, thanks for the help. I know a surveyor up there that I'll ask, he's a motor cycle riding Ulysses member but I don't think he'll be on top of the 'Montana's' programming....but could be (very smart man with lots of toys).
TcRulz If the surveyor is Greg with a KLR & has lots of toys, He wrrote a program to guide an aircraft using GPS to take aerial photos - very smart. If it is Geoff with the 1200 GSA ask him to ask Greg . Mention me if you like I used to work there too!

Morro
Morro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 04:50 AM   #11
TcRulz OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Hi Morro. It's Greg with the KLR (I don't hold that against him) and he's an interesting guy who is into a lot of different projects. I might have to hit him up for some help. Cheers Glenn.
Old 07-02-2013, 03:16 PM   #12
Doctor
Banned

Oddometer: 7,659
it is the base map you are using there are options to make it accurate, shonky maps for more detail(free) and if you are savy you can find the garmin Oz maps free too !
a little more googling will make you savy

shonky maps are not routable
Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote