Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-15-2013, 03:08 PM   #76
CSaw
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by billyt53 View Post
One evening, a few T/Rallys ago, we were heading up the hill to the rally site. We'd been at the pub a couple of hours so we'd had a few. We were motoring towards the site (it was dusk by this stage) on one of the last straight sections of road before the hill. I had recently put some of those HID headlight bulbs in the GSA and hadn't had a chance to try em out. Motoring along at about 100kph, I was fiddling around for the high beam switch......(where is it!!) I don't do much night riding these days I glanced down at the switch and hit the high beam........I looked up and all I saw was shiny Armco staring at me No time for brakes, I reefed on the bars and the GSA went sideways, big time ....faaarrrkkkkk!!!! I didn't drop it!! How the hell did I manage that?? The BM stopped in the middle of the road 90 deg. to the road....faaarrrkkkk again.....I think I saw God that evening. Next day, heading down into Nundle, I slowed down to where all this happened. This huge, wide black rubber mark on the road in a large semi circle greeted me. Just missed going into the dirt verge.

So take care going up the hill and down!!

Billy
My memory varies ever so slightly of this evening, can't vouch for what Billy was doing on board, can vouch for the ales consumed. I can say I was following said fellon for this ride and had decided to back off, Billy rides a tad faster than I, when his tail lights disappeared into a cloud of dust. Oh shit, worst nightmare, a mate headed bush at high speed. Next moment his GS reemerged from the dust cloud and, with a big shake of his head, Bill continues on to the dams. I do remember also a rather adrenalin fuelled Bill reliving his "near" moment.

As I stated previously, a gem of a road but with due respect.

Catchya.
CSaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 03:35 PM   #77
Doctor
Keyboard Renagade

Oddometer: 8,108
you fellas sound a tad wild for us mind mannered southern gents ...

'must be the 'ooooohhhhhmmmmm' factor kicking in'
Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 04:24 PM   #78
auntymal
Adventurer

Oddometer: 66
Doctor;....you fellas sound a tad wild for us mind mannered southern gents ...
"Wild"!...might have been true 40 years ago!! We are not "Wild Wogs", rather "Mild Wogs"!!! ("hogs"...or something?)...now, pass me my knitting! ...there is one who we would call 'wild' on a motorcycle...The notorios Tex O'Grady, of Tex 'n Bundy fame. Attending the rally with doggy perched on tank, Tex could see nicely up a short uphill straight, governed by double lines. There was a maroon falcon just in front spoiling the run at the hill, but Texy lofted the front wheel on his 'prilla and blazed past, Vtwin barking, as bike rider and doggy pulled an extended, loud, visceral wheelie, putting the front down just before needing to turn at the next bend....at the time we were honouring a much loved mate who had lost his life riding, and had a keen interest in Indigenous culture. A mate arranged a local copper who is also a keen rider to invite the Kamillaroi nation elders to do a 'smoking away' ceremony. Our fallen comrade, Marc, R.I.P. was well supported by his family also, and it was a real good scene. Afterwards, as the sun set, the boys in blue, smiling, approached me and introduced me to the local area commander, who had been invited to participate in the proceedings.......that's when I noticed we were standing next to...a maroon falcon...... After they tortured me 'properly' and made Tex 'beg for everything he was worth with every atom of his being', they showed 'mercy', after all Tex raises a lot of money for charity and is a former 'round Australia record holder, ex-Navy (submarines), and, more importantly, was shitting his pants-properly! (the whole intervention took about 25 minutes)...... Texy boy never did another wheelie on that hill...
Old 07-15-2013, 09:23 PM   #79
Doctor
Keyboard Renagade

that would be my luck

looking forward to this run , alot

Old 07-16-2013, 03:52 AM   #80
hunter_greyghost
XS650 Allroads Traveller

Oddometer: 8,057
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor View Post
that would be my luck

looking forward to this run , alot
Muzzle on Brutus?, or just watch out for purple Falcons, Doc
Cheers
Baza
hunter_greyghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 04:36 AM   #81
Doctor
Keyboard Renagade

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunter_greyghost View Post
Muzzle on Brutus?, or just watch out for purple Falcons, Doc
Cheers
Baza
might have to take a coupla plug leads off

or there is the option of a sighting run turn around and do it again

Old 07-16-2013, 06:15 PM   #82
hunter_greyghost
XS650 Allroads Traveller

Oddometer: 8,057
Quote:

I'd opt for the sighting run myself, two plugs down would f##k my bikes!
You going up on the Saturday?, I'll probably head through on Friday, think Bev's coming to this one
Cheers
Baza
hunter_greyghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 06:42 PM   #83
CSaw
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:

Don't settle for one sighting run, 6-7 is possible and you'd be reconnecting them thar plugs after the first run.
Old 07-16-2013, 09:32 PM   #84
Oldfatbeerman
Enroute to a PUB

Oddometer: 3,688
Wildlife is also an issue to consider , the road in our sights has a reputation for road kill as well , I have painful memories of a Sulphur Crested Cockatoo slamming into my right shoulder at about a $1.40 one Sunday morning departing the scene for southern work commitments ( arvo shift ), I recall thinking my shoulder was busted for sure , wasn't game to stop until I got to Scone just in case I had issues getting off the bike .... and back on . Turned out OK , only had a Black + Blue shoulder for about 2 weeks .

How many Years has it been at Sheba Dams Now ? I remember Chris and Billy telling the rest of us that they had found this great new site ..... but can't remember what year it was , around 94 or 95 I think . Might just be the 20 th visit to Sheba Dams for the Thunder Rallyists .

Cheers Alan
Old 07-16-2013, 11:36 PM   #85
Doctor
Keyboard Renagade

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunter_greyghost View Post
I'd opt for the sighting run myself, two plugs down would f##k my bikes!
You going up on the Saturday?, I'll probably head through on Friday, think Bev's coming to this one
Cheers
Baza
yep saturday

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSaw View Post
Don't settle for one sighting run, 6-7 is possible and you'd be reconnecting them thar plugs after the first run.
2 off i still have a 700 cc .........

Old 07-17-2013, 02:37 AM   #86
CSaw
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldfatbeerman View Post
Wildlife is also an issue to consider , the road in our sights has a reputation for road kill as well , I have painful memories of a Sulphur Crested Cockatoo slamming into my right shoulder at about a $1.40 one Sunday morning departing the scene for southern work commitments ( arvo shift ), I recall thinking my shoulder was busted for sure , wasn't game to stop until I got to Scone just in case I had issues getting off the bike .... and back on . Turned out OK , only had a Black + Blue shoulder for about 2 weeks .

How many Years has it been at Sheba Dams Now ? I remember Chris and Billy telling the rest of us that they had found this great new site ..... but can't remember what year it was , around 94 or 95 I think . Might just be the 20 th visit to Sheba Dams for the Thunder Rallyists .

Cheers Alan

Hiya Allan,

Always wanted to ask why you didn't include ugly in your OFBM monicker??? Hopefully put it to you at the dams this year.

You are correct, it is the 20th rally at Sheba Dams, the initial 12 having been on the Lachlan River near Lake Cargelligo.

I wasn't on the ride with Billy that found this area and thought it to be good for a rally but I did return with him to check a few sites out before settling on the dams. The other sites had too much dirt road to get to them or uneven surfaces at the site were a falls risk for those that do have a drink or three at the rally (very few folk as you well know).

Catchya.
Old 07-17-2013, 02:58 AM   #87
billyt53 OP
Phast Phossil

Oddometer: 593
" too much dirt"? just the right amount I'd have thought......if it wasn't raining!! The problem with the other site we discovered back then was the 'holes' left in the ground after the huge Ponderosa Pines had rotted out. Some were around 1 metre diameter and about the same deep and covered with overgrown grass.

A bit dodgy we thought for a rally site.

South America on Two Wheels
Another photography book by me
billyt53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 03:15 AM   #88
billyt53 OP
Phast Phossil

Oddometer: 593
That site is called Ponderosa Park.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

South America on Two Wheels
Another photography book by me
billyt53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 03:41 AM   #89
mendydrz
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 278
As this falls on my wedding anniversary I was wondering what to do, but since I've never been in Australia or home for any of the 6 years ive been married I'm coming to this to keep the tradition rolling. Fishing beers and riding a motorbike. My 3 favorite things
Old 07-17-2013, 05:01 AM   #90
Tex n Bundy
n00b

Oddometer: 9
Tex & Bundy and the Guzzi!!

Although I've visited Nundle a few times of recent for the Pre-thunder rally check, it has been a few years since I've actually done a Thunder Rally. Although my company at the time supported the rally for a few years as a small sponsor. The Tamworth Police Chief did put me off a little!! ;-) Anyway, a new bike, a new dog and some renewed vigor, it is time we made a reappearance. After all, their is a reputation at stake!!! :-)
See u all at the 2013 Thunder Rally!!
Cheers,
Tex & Bundy
(supported by Moto Guzzi))