Oddometer: 15,309
You got to love guzzi spam, it's the only spam that, does not matter

See you there Tex n Bundy
Russ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 02:29 PM   #92
hunter_greyghost
XS650 Allroads Traveller

Oddometer: 7,539
Sounds like a lot of nice bikes [& people] go to this one, be sure to have my camera charged & ready
Cheers
Baza

hunter_greyghost screwed with this post 07-18-2013 at 12:41 AM
hunter_greyghost is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 04:27 PM   #93
auntymal
Adventurer

Oddometer: 56
...I'm 'happy to be wrong' but, I reckon there are more dirt alternatives to approach the rally site than there are tar alternatives? 2-3 depending how you look at it, for tar, and about 100% more when it comes to dirt...some...unexpected!
Another "Texy yarn"....took his hot 'pilla dirt riding didn't get 'Lost' but did do a lot of runs across strangely familiar dirt in different directions!...fuel was disappearing, as was daylight, then he road smack dab into a herd of cows!!! ...farmer not amused...with Texy desperately explaining "...mate all road bikes travel sideways in dirt, it's inconvenient but that's just what happens, all, to do with the 'clip-ons'...ya know!"......er.sorry mate...(lets clutch out, disappears in cloud of dust!)...as he does! ...then there was the time he took a sponsor for a 'quiet ride' on a zx12r!!!!...pillion had never been on a bike before. "there's only one instruction", smiled Texy... "hang on tight. OK!!"... The zx12 put its front wheel down north of 200k...the pillion was delivered back shaking, giggling and white as a sheet!!!, while Texy explained "they go better than that solo mate, hope you weren't bored?'.... sponsor never went near a bike again but continued his support in order to avoid being pillion-napped ever again!

auntymal screwed with this post 07-17-2013 at 04:33 PM
auntymal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 05:11 PM   #94
hunter_greyghost
XS650 Allroads Traveller

Gotta meet this 'Texy' bloke, sounds like my sort of larrikan
I'm really keen to be at this rally, sounds almost as good as Thrasher's 'TTT',
Cheers
Baza
Old 07-17-2013, 09:39 PM   #95
auntymal
Adventurer

Oddometer: 56
Tex O'Grady, 1978 'round Australia record holder. 8 days 23 hrs 57 mins. Bike=Honda 4, and...1/2 the journey was dirt back then. Tex 'n Bundy support a lot of stuff which is cool. Up at the Thunder he's just "one of the girls"..like the rest of us!!!...likes a ride/good time and knows the Rally has supported a darn good cause for the last 31 years. The Royal Rehabilitation Centre, Spinal Unit is sadly, populated with a lot of riders......so our good time helps others in need.
Old 07-18-2013, 12:51 AM   #96
hunter_greyghost
XS650 Allroads Traveller

Quote:
Originally Posted by auntymal View Post
Tex O'Grady, 1978 'round Australia record holder. 8 days 23 hrs 57 mins. Bike=Honda 4, and...1/2 the journey was dirt back then. Tex 'n Bundy support a lot of stuff which is cool. Up at the Thunder he's just "one of the girls"..like the rest of us!!!...likes a ride/good time and knows the Rally has supported a darn good cause for the last 31 years. The Royal Rehabilitation Centre, Spinal Unit is sadly, populated with a lot of riders......so our good time helps others in need.

Brilliant cause, that's more incentive to get there,
as well the 'Far Cairn' which supports the 'MARI' Foundation
Cheers
Baza
Old 07-18-2013, 01:47 AM   #97
CSaw
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex n Bundy View Post
Although I've visited Nundle a few times of recent for the Pre-thunder rally check, it has been a few years since I've actually done a Thunder Rally. Although my company at the time supported the rally for a few years as a small sponsor. The Tamworth Police Chief did put me off a little!! ;-) Anyway, a new bike, a new dog and some renewed vigor, it is time we made a reappearance. After all, their is a reputation at stake!!! :-)
See u all at the 2013 Thunder Rally!!
Cheers,
Tex & Bundy
(supported by Moto Guzzi))

Hi Tex,

Will be good to have you up there again, someone has got to keep Mal in line (read: make sure he takes his medication), a very difficult task I know.

Catchya..
CSaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 04:53 AM   #98
rmarmbruster
Roba

Oddometer: 160
It's a great rally this one, there is one catch though - there is nearly more BMW's than Ducatis. What's that, no can't quite hear above the rattle of clutches at idle and the loud rumble around the camp ground on opening day. I go for the sound of Ducatis coming up the hill, it's very good for the soul.

Cheers

Rob A.
Old 07-19-2013, 07:49 PM   #99
CSaw
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmarmbruster View Post
It's a great rally this one, there is one catch though - there is nearly more BMW's than Ducatis. What's that, no can't quite hear above the rattle of clutches at idle and the loud rumble around the camp ground on opening day. I go for the sound of Ducatis coming up the hill, it's very good for the soul.

Cheers

Rob A.

Hi Rob,

Will be good to catch up with you if ya can get ya foot in the boot by then. In regards to more BMs than Dukes, well we all get old and move towards slow and comfortable!!!
The new breed seem to have difficulty getting past the cafe to attend a rally.

Catchya,
Chris.
Old 07-20-2013, 02:17 AM   #100
hunter_greyghost
XS650 Allroads Traveller

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSaw View Post
Hi Rob,

Will be good to catch up with you if ya can get ya foot in the boot by then. In regards to more BMs than Dukes, well we all get old and move towards slow and comfortable!!!
The new breed seem to have difficulty getting past the cafe to attend a rally.

Catchya,
Chris.

Ahh, the perpetual conversation piece raises it's ugly head, younger generation & their lack of heart & adventure,
was a time when one was young/dumb/etc., when you'd be hanging out for the weekend to go to a rally somewhere,
Most of us were in our late teens / ealy twenties, camping gear was usually an army greatcoat/ a tarp / bottle of green steam [stones],

Hhhhmmm, the seventies, when half the ralliests were uni students and the other half were wondering what happened to them in the sixties
Do your mob do anything to encourage the younger generation to participate, rally prizes, bribes etc
Henning [runs the 'Alpine'], offers free badges for the youngest ralliests,
Cheers
Baza

hunter_greyghost screwed with this post 07-20-2013 at 02:34 AM
Old 07-20-2013, 02:35 PM   #101
peter650
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 397
I should be, back on the road by then. See you guys there. Peter
peter650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 07:44 PM   #102
hunter_greyghost
XS650 Allroads Traveller

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter650 View Post

Wondering what you were up to young Peter, XV not going?
Cheers
Baza
Old 07-20-2013, 08:55 PM   #103
CSaw
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter650 View Post
Hiya Peter,

Welcome aboard, and hoping that whatever is keeping you off the road is rectified well before October so that you can come and enjoy the Thunder.

Catchya.
Old 07-20-2013, 09:02 PM   #104
CSaw
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunter_greyghost View Post
Ahh, the perpetual conversation piece raises it's ugly head, younger generation & their lack of heart & adventure,
was a time when one was young/dumb/etc., when you'd be hanging out for the weekend to go to a rally somewhere,
Most of us were in our late teens / ealy twenties, camping gear was usually an army greatcoat/ a tarp / bottle of green steam [stones],

Hhhhmmm, the seventies, when half the ralliests were uni students and the other half were wondering what happened to them in the sixties
Do your mob do anything to encourage the younger generation to participate, rally prizes, bribes etc
Henning [runs the 'Alpine'], offers free badges for the youngest ralliests,
Cheers
Baza
Hi Baza,

Not sure what the answer is to this one. We don't offer any sort of incentive to the younger generation but do go out of our way to make sure that they feel welcome. Henning's idea is a good one and although too late in the proceedings for this years event will keep it in mind for next year (and hope Henning doesn't mind the breach of copyright!!!).

Most new purchasers of Ducati nowadays seem well past their "youth" so need to tap another source.

Catchya,
Chris.
Old 07-20-2013, 09:32 PM   #105
peter650
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 397
Gday Baz & CSaw a woman in a 4b4 blew my knee apart, couldn't walk, work, or ride / work on the bikes . Anyway i will put the violin away now . After the last rally, i have a few plans for the mighty XV . Cheers Peter.
peter650 is offline   Reply With Quote