Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-13-2013, 08:03 AM   #46
perterra
-. --- .--. .

Oddometer: 7,400
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk900dc View Post
I've been riding a dr650 for the past year, I learned how to ride on the thing. I mostly ride around town and take 45 minute trips at 60 to 65 mph to visit family the dr isn't so much fun to me on these trips. Was thinking about buying a klr650 similar bike style more comforts is it worth it? Btw the dr650 is my fathers no ownership here.

Enjoy it

IBA 22425
perterra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 09:52 PM   #47
Hawk900dc OP
Dual Sport Intitiate

Oddometer: 33
Alright nearing 500 mile mark with my new 12 klr. I still enjoy it great for around town and cruising at 50mph. Great around twisty roads my only qualms at this point are the low geared 5 speed transmission and engine vibes at high rpm. If I did more interstate I'd def do the vstrom. I'm going to do a 16 tooth front sprocket to raise the gearing here soon. It doesn't kill me but I do mostly highway so it should make cruising a bit more relaxing. I still say the bike is an upgrade for me and It does everything I need it to do without feeling overtaxed. I'm mostly using it for errands around town, riding to gym and visiting family. I think the klr is the most fun on twisty bumpy back roads rolling at 50 mph I could do that all day.
Old 07-19-2013, 10:11 PM   #48
Beezer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,419
also do the "22 cent" mod.

tighten the engine mount & frame bolts.

after 500 miles set the valves so that the clearance is the same for the pair of intake s and the exhausts (as a pair, different clearance)

note that klrs take a few thousand miles to smooth out

try Murph's grips:

http://www.murphskits.com/catalog/ad...=grips&x=0&y=0
Beezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 10:40 PM   #49
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
Alright nearing 500 mile mark with my new 12 klr. I still enjoy it great for around town and cruising at 50mph. Great around twisty roads my only qualms at this point are the low geared 5 speed transmission and engine vibes at high rpm. If I did more interstate I'd def do the vstrom. I'm going to do a 16 tooth front sprocket to raise the gearing here soon. It doesn't kill me but I do mostly highway so it should make cruising a bit more relaxing. I still say the bike is an upgrade for me and It does everything I need it to do without feeling overtaxed. I'm mostly using it for errands around town, riding to gym and visiting family. I think the klr is the most fun on twisty bumpy back roads rolling at 50 mph I could do that all day.
The high speed "Busy Motor" feeling at 70 to 75 MPH on my KLR made me worry riding across Northern Mexico at night. I kept speeds down because of that. I rode a BRAND NEW KLR all through Baja, Ferried over to mainland Mexico, did Copper Canyon, then down to Guatemala ...then home to San Francisco. 7000 miles in all. It was a '98 ... brand new. At 70 mph it always felt too busy to me and it used oil the entire trip. Doing 400 mile days, this is something that got my attention. I nearly ran it too low one time ... as I had NO IDEA at the time they used oil at high speeds. It was a loaner bike which I gave back to Kawi after that ride.

I liked it in the twisties between 30 to 60 mph also. Good fun! It handles very well for such a big girl! It also was fun all through the Copper Canyon on easy dirt roads. Not so much in Baja's deep sand! The DR650 is much better in deep sand.

I hope the taller gearing helps you ... and you don't lose too much acceleration in lower gears. I would for sure try re-torquing all the frame bolts ... and what ever other tricks anyone knows to help out.

Good luck, ride safe!
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 07:10 AM   #50
TheBlurr
Banned

Oddometer: 5,588
Quote:
that is interesting, I commute 100 miles a day riding at 70 mph and I do not find the vibes bad at all, consider a more street friendly tire perhaps.
TheBlurr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 04:28 PM   #51
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBlurr View Post
that is interesting, I commute 100 miles a day riding at 70 mph and I do not find the vibes bad at all, consider a more street friendly tire perhaps.
With my experience it wasn't the actual vibes that disturbed me ... it was more that the engine just sounded like it was spinning up a bit too high for long distance cruising.

Over time I'm sure you'd get used to this ... and after a month or three ... hardly notice it. My solution (during my short 6 week ride on the KLR) was to just slow down to about 65 mph (indicated), where all was good.
Old 07-22-2013, 06:38 AM   #52
Hawk900dc OP
Dual Sport Intitiate

Update

Alright, finally hit 500 miles and took it on the interstate 65mph zone and everyone goes 75-80. I rocked a solid 70mph in much more comfort than the dr. The odd thing with klr vibes is that they come and go at certain rpms I was fine at 70 mph.
Old 07-22-2013, 06:47 AM   #53
8lives
Dharma Bum

Oddometer: 1,812
Quote:
Alright, finally hit 500 miles and took it on the interstate 65mph zone and everyone goes 75-80. I rocked a solid 70mph in much more comfort than the dr. The odd thing with klr vibes is that they come and go at certain rpms I was fine at 70 mph.
Just thought I would mention this,I like my 16 tooth counter sprocket when on a high mile trip but I have found for general riding around town and 200 mile or less trips the stock 15 seems to make the bike feel better,I have a 14,15,and 16 and swap them around often relative to the type of riding I'm doing,very easy to swap.
8lives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 02:07 AM   #54
TheBlurr
Banned

Oddometer: 5,588
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8lives View Post
Just thought I would mention this,I like my 16 tooth counter sprocket when on a high mile trip but I have found for general riding around town and 200 mile or less trips the stock 15 seems to make the bike feel better,I have a 14,15,and 16 and swap them around often relative to the type of riding I'm doing,very easy to swap.
changing sprockets in and out only increase your chain sprocket wear. Chains sprockets wear together so if you keep the same you will get extended life.
TheBlurr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 05:14 AM   #55
8lives
Dharma Bum

Quote:
changing sprockets in and out only increase your chain sprocket wear. Chains sprockets wear together so if you keep the same you will get extended life.
This is true,but that 14 tooth really wakes the bike up,the wear factor is the reason the 15 stays on most of the time,I ride about 12000 miles a year and wear isn't to bad.
Old 07-23-2013, 10:27 AM   #56
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Quote:
That is not correct.

Chain & Sprockets 101
The counter shaft sprocket wears out first ... long before the rear sprocket.
Also, a 14T sprocket will wear more quickly than a 15T ...will also wear the chain a bit more than a 15T sprocket will. Why?

The smaller sprocket means the chain goes round the smaller sprocket more frequently ... and forces the chain to do more of a U turn as it rounds the smaller sprocket. Equals more stress, wear.

The key to longer chain life is to change out the front sprocket more often. Anyone who has been on the road ... doing tens of thousands of miles in places where chains and sprockets are not commonly available, will know this trick. Once the front sprocket is worn, it begins to eat the Hell out of your chain. Worn shoulders and hooked teeth are signs it's time to install a new front sprocket.

On my DR650 I change front sprockets out at around 7K to 8K miles. My DID X ring, VM2 chain will go OVER 25,000 miles using this technique. I've done over 250,000 miles on these chains on a variety of bikes .... over 50,000 on my DR650 alone.

Of course, if you can, you could change out your rear sprocket early as well. But unless you're using some crap so called "miracle" sprocket, the OEM rear sprocket generally can go the same distance as the chain. If you ride mostly all Mud, beach sand and rain, then your chain sprockets will not last as long as the numbers I quoted above, which are on bikes doing about 75% ON Road.

Most riders ignore all this stuff ... and end up with a badly worn chain that dies an early death .... and they have NO IDEA WHY. Pay attention to your chain and sprockets. Keep them clean as possible, no need to OVER oil, but a bit of oil is always good, especially in rain. Never run your chain too tight.

Adv Grifter screwed with this post 07-23-2013 at 10:33 AM
Old 07-24-2013, 06:46 AM   #57
8lives
Dharma Bum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adv Grifter View Post
That is not correct.

Chain & Sprockets 101
The counter shaft sprocket wears out first ... long before the rear sprocket.
Also, a 14T sprocket will wear more quickly than a 15T ...will also wear the chain a bit more than a 15T sprocket will. Why?

The smaller sprocket means the chain goes round the smaller sprocket more frequently ... and forces the chain to do more of a U turn as it rounds the smaller sprocket. Equals more stress, wear.

The key to longer chain life is to change out the front sprocket more often. Anyone who has been on the road ... doing tens of thousands of miles in places where chains and sprockets are not commonly available, will know this trick. Once the front sprocket is worn, it begins to eat the Hell out of your chain. Worn shoulders and hooked teeth are signs it's time to install a new front sprocket.

On my DR650 I change front sprockets out at around 7K to 8K miles. My DID X ring, VM2 chain will go OVER 25,000 miles using this technique. I've done over 250,000 miles on these chains on a variety of bikes .... over 50,000 on my DR650 alone.

Of course, if you can, you could change out your rear sprocket early as well. But unless you're using some crap so called "miracle" sprocket, the OEM rear sprocket generally can go the same distance as the chain. If you ride mostly all Mud, beach sand and rain, then your chain sprockets will not last as long as the numbers I quoted above, which are on bikes doing about 75% ON Road.

Most riders ignore all this stuff ... and end up with a badly worn chain that dies an early death .... and they have NO IDEA WHY. Pay attention to your chain and sprockets. Keep them clean as possible, no need to OVER oil, but a bit of oil is always good, especially in rain. Never run your chain too tight.
I agree,and KLR's are very easy on a chain,I clean with ATF,or Kerosene,and currently using some left over fork oil,and lube with 90wt,or motor oil or whatever is on the shelf in the garage,I'm not big on filling my garage full of fancy labeled products,I watch things close and change worn stuff as needed,3rd world country methods.
Old 07-26-2013, 07:08 AM   #58
Hawk900dc OP
Dual Sport Intitiate

another update

Another update here, Still loving my KLR650, I still consider it an upgrade from the DR650 for a do everything road worthy commuter bike, its amazing how much the fairing, seat and windscreen help. Plus i actually feel a bit more advanced with an RPM and heating gauge (DR650 didnt have).

I will admit, at certain times I wonder how that Vstrom would be like on my faster highway and interstate driving and I think ill buy one as my next bike but theres nothing wrong with my KLR it does everything I need it to and its comfy. Easy to roll out of the garage and jump on, the weight is easy for me to throw around (like the DR650) which is what I really wanted.
Old 07-26-2013, 07:19 AM   #59
8lives
Dharma Bum

My KLR does good,I'm a small guy so it is a handfull out in the bush,but with a dished out seat,and the forks raised a 1/2inch in the tree I do ok,yesterday I rode all over town hit the freeway a bunch and took a quick spin through the local OHV park,to me my KLR is like a 4WD ford F150,when I sit on a DR it feels better for me size wise,but until I sell the KLR its my "do most everthing and cheaply bike"probably selling it only because I like to buy a new to me used bike every year or so.
Old 07-26-2013, 10:54 AM   #60
Tsotsie
Semi-reformed Tsotsi

Oddometer: 1,647
Quote:
....it does everything I need it to and its comfy. .
That is all the matters!
Tsotsie is offline   Reply With Quote