User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-14-2011, 10:19 PM   #1
Weekend Hack OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 16
Starter will not engage...

So... My 04 KTM 950 Adventure wont start...

Here are the symptoms and what I have done so far...

Try to go for a ride Friday, bike won't start. When i hit the start button you can hear the starter spin, but not engage the engine as to start it. I figure maybe the battery is flat, so I try jumping it with my pickup (engine off), no luck. Then I pull it out and see its three years old, I figure its almost time anyway so I get a new one in the morning. Saturday I install the new battery and same thing stater spinning and not turning over. Damn it... Tip the bike on its side pull the tank and the take off the ignition rotor cover. Then I hit the starter button and can see the starter gear spin so I figure the freewheel clutch is shot, call the dealer and order parts. They got here today and I installed them... (by the way don't waste your cash with the 40$ KTM tools just get the 14$ gear puller from NAPA) get her all back together and guess what same f*%king thing... stater is spinning but not engaging.

Anybody have any ideas where to go next???
Weekend Hack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 12:32 AM   #2
cpmodem
Orange Caveman

Oddometer: 7,103
Make sure the rotor isn't spinning on the crankshaft. The early ones weren't keyed to the shaft and could spin. Especially if the "lapping" TB wasn't done.

-cp

DISCLAIMER: All observations made in this post are mine and based solely on my own anecdotal experiences, and may contain large doses of facetiousness. YMMV, of course. You are "on your own", and I take no responsibility if someone tries anything in this post and gets into trouble with the law, damages their person or property, or goes blind. Take everything you read or hear "anywhere" butt especially on the Web with a large dose of salt.

cpmodem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 11:17 PM   #3
Weekend Hack OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 16
Got it fixed this afternoon...

Thanks for the help...

I looked at that as a problem but the rotor was well secured. So the problem was the starter was spinning backwards! There is a small o-ring that holds the positive post off the case of the starter. I assume the pressure from the positive starter wire squeezed the o-ring until the positive side touched the case making it run in reverse. Trip to the hardware store and .29 cent o-ring and it started like a champ.

what a F-in nightmare...
Weekend Hack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 11:24 PM   #4
Qwik
Adrenaline Addict

Oddometer: 6,123
Wow. Thats a First for that one.
Old 06-15-2011, 11:48 PM   #5
cpmodem
Orange Caveman

Oddometer: 7,103
Amazing the positive didn't short to ground. No fuse on that circuit. Would have been quite a lot of smoke.

-cp

DISCLAIMER: All observations made in this post are mine and based solely on my own anecdotal experiences, and may contain large doses of facetiousness. YMMV, of course. You are "on your own", and I take no responsibility if someone tries anything in this post and gets into trouble with the law, damages their person or property, or goes blind. Take everything you read or hear "anywhere" butt especially on the Web with a large dose of salt.

cpmodem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 11:50 PM   #6
gefr
Life is a trip

Oddometer: 3,728
Wow great diagnose.

This is really strange. Welldone.
gefr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 07:29 AM   #7
Aquanout
Hooliganantic

Oddometer: 748
No kidding, on a scale of 1-10 on the weird-shit-o-meter thats at least an eleven.
Aquanout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 08:36 PM   #8
wayer
n00b

Oddometer: 9
Same Problem - Starter spins, but doesn't engage.

My 2004 Adventure has the same problem. New fully charged battery or jump start makes no difference - starter spins, but the starter gears never engage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weekend Hack View Post
Thanks for the help...

I looked at that as a problem but the rotor was well secured. So the problem was the starter was spinning backwards! There is a small o-ring that holds the positive post off the case of the starter. I assume the pressure from the positive starter wire squeezed the o-ring until the positive side touched the case making it run in reverse. Trip to the hardware store and .29 cent o-ring and it started like a champ.

Where is the o-ring, that allowed the positive post to ground out to the case? Inside the starter, or outside?

I've got two posts on the rear (bike's right) side of the starter. Neither has an o-ring. Disconnecting the rearmost (ground?) made no difference. Disconnecting the forward post cut off all electricity - turning on the key = no lights, no cranking, no nothing.

Thoughts?
wayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 10:42 PM   #9
Head2Wind
MotorcycleMayhem

Oddometer: 2,490
1 of 2 things:

1. starter sprag failed (one way clutch)
2. flywheel has come loose from crankshaft

the "early" engines do not have a torque limiting function to the starter system, the gear system that connects the starter motor to the sprag is solid, no clacky clacky.

Given the nature of the starter and how its configured, I cannot understand how the starter would rotate in the opposite direction if the terminal where the cable attaches becomes electrically connected with the case of the starter, and when normally mounted to the engine effectively connected to the negative side of the battery..... I call BS.
Head2Wind is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 07:46 PM   #10
YOGOI
Prick

Oddometer: 3,449
HELP, I have a starter problem too

Mine's a little different, When I push the start button nothing happens.
I turn the key on and the dash lights up, the fuel pump primes when I flick the red "on" button, but the start button does nothing.

Battery is good.
I plugged in another ignition, no change.
I plugged in another start-stop switch, no change
I plugged in another starter relay, no change
I plugged in another digital box, no change

Any ideas on where to go next???

04 950 GO!!!!! 2011 250 XC 89 Transalp 69 350 CL 04 225 XT

08 450 XC-F SOLD to a good home
YOGOI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 10:41 PM   #11
Head2Wind
MotorcycleMayhem

Neutral switch, clutch switch, verify the safety relays are functioning.

Sent from ADVmachines.com via Tapatalk
Old 06-28-2013, 10:35 AM   #12
YOGOI
Prick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Head2Wind View Post
Neutral switch, clutch switch, verify the safety relays are functioning.

Sent from ADVmachines.com via Tapatalk
The bike is in neutral, and the neutral light is on on the dash, so that verify's that the relays are working, right?
The kick stand switch has been gone for years, but, the bike is in neutral so that doesn't matter any whey, right?

Old 06-28-2013, 11:38 AM   #13
Head2Wind
MotorcycleMayhem

will the starter motor run if you jumper across the two posts on the solenoid? have you jumpered to the "start" post on the solenoid to see if you can get the solenoid to energize? If the solenoid will energize by manually jumpering but the starter motor will not turn, while maintaining the solenoid in a energized state is battery voltage present at the starter motor post? If present, then the brushes are stuck or there is a internal fault in the starter motor. If the solenoid will not manually energize from a jumper wire, then the solenoid is faulty.

I would have to review the wiring diagrams and the lock out logic to see if the side stand circuit either open or closed would cause the "start" circuilt to be isolated from the solenoid effectively not allowing the starter to operate.
Old 06-30-2013, 05:56 AM   #14
YOGOI
Prick

I'm gonna be able to dig into this today. I'll get back to ya with the findings, or more questions.

Thanks for the help Head2Wind

Old 06-30-2013, 12:33 PM   #15
YOGOI
Prick

Found it.
The wire that connects/communicates from the solenoid behind the light to the starter relay was broke. One of the wires has a separate connector that the wire had pulled out of.

Also while I was at it. I found a wire that was broke in the ignition too. It was still make'n contact, but I could wiggle the wires around an make em short out.

Thanks again for the reply's.