Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-30-2013, 12:05 PM   #1
Chris_W_65 OP
XR KILLER

Oddometer: 51
Powder coat, anodize or polish frame?

XR650R supermotard for street use

My friends tell me I will regret powder coating my frame if I go that route - as soon as it cracks or chips they say it starts peeling off - I am thinking titanium silver or maybe satin black

Other options
I could anodize it silver or polish the frame, polish would look trick but apparently is hard to maintain.

What do you guys think?
Chris_W_65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 12:36 PM   #2
dpforth
no inline fours

Oddometer: 289
Only aluminum or ti can be anodized. With aluminum there are structural implications also. If you want the polished look your best bet with a steel frame would be nickel plating IMO.
Old 06-30-2013, 01:49 PM   #3
4play
Next?

Oddometer: 2,310
If your a polishing kind of guy, polish it. I don't remember the exact # but I remember reading team Honda's prep for the XRR at Baja the weight savings of stripping the paint was something like 7lbs.
Old 07-01-2013, 05:31 AM   #4
sailah
Lampin' it

Oddometer: 5,308
Personally I'd powdercoat it. PC is tough, cheap and looks good. You can get some bling PC finishes if that's what you are after. If you get a normal color you can easily touch up chips with detail sized paint from auto parts store to hide the chip. In reality, it's pretty hard to chip PC, especially on a street bike.

As noted, you can't anodize steel, and anodizing isn't very tough of the regular variety. I have anodized triple clamps that have work through easily with a little chafe.

Polishing? You've got to be kidding me. On a XRR? Save that for the harley or stretched Busa that never gets ridden.

Nessmuk
sailah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 07:48 AM   #5
yokesman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 448
zinc chromate primer does not rust thru and your choice of paint color.
seems the restoration guys bake theirs at about 150 degrees .
yokesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 09:34 AM   #6
Chris_W_65 OP
XR KILLER

Oddometer: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpforth View Post
Only aluminum or ti can be anodized. With aluminum there are structural implications also. If you want the polished look your best bet with a steel frame would be nickel plating IMO.
Bike is an XR650R - full aluminium frame
Chris_W_65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 09:57 AM   #7
dpforth
no inline fours

Oddometer: 289
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_W_65 View Post
Bike is an XR650R - full aluminium frame
Sorry, my mistake.
Old 07-01-2013, 03:12 PM   #8
yokesman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 448
on aluminum,alodine,prime then paint.
alodine is a surface prep to help adhesion.
yokesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 04:09 PM   #9
RedRaptor22
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 154
Polishing is fairly common on alu frames, especially stretched and lowered bikes...but it's done in complete ignorance usually when done on plated and insured street bikes, as polishing is a process that removes material even though in some cases it can in fact make it stronger insurance companies look at polished frames the same way they do scratched/scuffed and gouged frames...totaled
RedRaptor22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 12:50 PM   #10
mudvaynedude122
Adventurer

Oddometer: 34
Of the options listed, I think powder coating would be the most durable. It also gives you the option of pretty much any color imaginable. Powder coating over a media blasted surface does not peel off in my experience. Bonded black chrome powder coat looks very similar to the titanium silver color I think you are talking about.

Anodizing, in my experience, wears pretty quickly unless its never touched.

Polishing would have to be kept up on unless you seal it, which you can do with clear powder coat.

"The very basic core of a man's living spirit is his passion for adventure." -Jon Krakauer
mudvaynedude122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 01:46 PM   #11
CharlesLathe
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 113
I used to build custom bicycle frames and tried several well recommended powder coaters over the years. Rust issues screwed me. I can't imagine ever trusting powder coating again no matter how many glowing reports I hear.

You might not think of rust with aluminum, but it does corrode and can certainly do that under the powder coat. Then, as your friends say, it can peel off.

Sailah says it's cheap. It isn't necessarily inexpensive, but cheap sounds right. I think I paid quite handsomely for cheap work.
CharlesLathe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 03:59 PM   #12
foggy50361
Adventurer

Oddometer: 75
Laugh Horses for courses

I've had the same issues with PC, if not undertaken correctly it will peel (aluminium corrosion).
Anodising looks good but where you rub up against the bike will eventually wear through the protective layer.
Polishing a frame is a daunting task plus will take up all your time keeping it in good condition, and if anyone tells you to clear coat the finished article, just remember the preparation process, new paint needs a keyed surface to stick to, but you've just spent 6 months removing every minute scratch on the frame to make it sparkle so no key, no adhesion!

If it was my bike, I'd media blast the frame after removing any scratches then clear coat.
Dr Seuss. One man getting it right all the time
foggy50361 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 07:03 PM   #13
Sevv
Adventurer

Oddometer: 92
Anodizing doesn't work well on cast parts.
Sevv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 07:07 PM   #14
majorpayne
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 248
I've never heard of powder coating peeling off. That's kind of the point of it, over paint, is that it bonds to the metal. Paint bonds to itself and simply sticks to a surface.

Anodizing is nice but depending on the type it can scratch easily. If you can find a place that does a hard coat anodization you'll be good to go.
majorpayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 08:27 PM   #15
anonny
What could go wrong?

Oddometer: 5,436
It would take less than 1/2 lb of powder to do your frame, of that some will blow past the frame into the spray booths filters so weight really isn't that much of an issue.

Powder wont peel if prepped properly, it will chip with enough force but it's pretty resilient stuff.

Polished would look nice but it's not only a ton of dirty work to do initially but a part time job to keep it up. Last thing I have time for is polishing dirtbikes.

71- 450 Honda CL re & re

Just another pathetic sheep following the herd

anonny is offline   Reply With Quote