Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-01-2013, 01:23 PM   #16
elsalvadorklr
southern xr rider

Oddometer: 4,151
its the friction modifiers and those that say energy conserving on the bottom of the label on the back that is what yo avoid

car or non car oil has mostly nothing to do with it...most use diesel heavy duty oil...

other things that cause slippage and or damage are certain oil treatments, certain molys, also abusing zddp or zinc additives(like STP) that help fight shearing...

thats what happened to me, I used too much zddp additve and my old clutch couldnt handle it, a new one probably would of but Id rather just change my oil more frequently now and forget about it

a good test is a high speed run in 4th and nail it into 5th, taller gears will tell you if your clutch can handle the load or not
elsalvadorklr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 01:45 PM   #17
Queen of Spades OP
tall drink of water

Oddometer: 844
Quote:
Originally Posted by elsalvadorklr View Post
a good test is a high speed run in 4th and nail it into 5th, taller gears will tell you if your clutch can handle the load or not
Mine pulled strong going from 4th to 5th under full throttle. I think I dodged a bullet.

Friction plates are only $55 with free shipping on ebay (EBC redline series), so it may be worthwhile to order a set to have on hand just in case.
Old 07-01-2013, 04:20 PM   #18
clintnz
Trans-Global Chook Chaser

Oddometer: 3,392
Good heads up there. Will take care if I'm ever doing a service on the road without my usual fave MC specific oil.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queen of Spades View Post
Hoping I get off with 2 flushes and no lasting effect on the plates. The bike has 14k so it wouldn't hurt to replace the friction plates.. my bank account disagrees of course.
Assuming the oil hasn't done any lasting damage I would concur with your bank account I've been trying hard to wear out my LC4 clutch for 75K miles & still haven't succeeded. Plates were still at new spec when I rebuilt the motor at 60K miles.

Cheers
Clint

The wilderness, the desert - why are they not crowded
.................................................. .....with pilgrims?
clintnz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 04:45 PM   #19
Queen of Spades OP
tall drink of water

Oddometer: 844
Quote:
Originally Posted by clintnz View Post
75K miles
Wuuut? 75k miles on a stock LC4 clutch? Wow - this is proof I made a good decision in buying a 640-e!