Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-23-2011, 09:33 PM   #1
Deano955 OP
Insatiable

Oddometer: 3,943
Question 990 fuel filters replaced, now it won't start!

Sorry if this seems like a long story, but I could really use some insight from fellow LC8 owners that know something about the mechanics of their bikes.

I purchased a very gently used 2007 990 Adv last fall with less than 8000 miles on it in excellent condition. Last Sunday my buddy and I decided to have a tech day and work on maintenance items on our bikes. Now I've got 3 KTm's in my garage that don't run. That's another story/ question thread for Thumpers...

I did my first oil change on the 990 which only took 3.5 hours or so. My Triumphs were just a tad quicker to do (like 30 minutes or so)...

Anyway, I've been having some stalling and hesitation issues with the 990. Only at certain times like when riding off pavement, uphill at around 3k rpms. Ran perfect any other time but every time I would creep up a hill in 1st or 2nd gear in that rpm range, or crack the throttle to loft the front wheel over a whoop the bike surges and wants to stall. It's as if the fuel is being cut off for a second (stalling) then fuel supply comes back quickly (surges). Very annoying...

Reading various 990 fueling issue threads here I decided to replace the filters in the tank. It seemed like a good idea and I thought clogged filters might be my problem. Removing the assembly revealed dirty filters:

So, I installed the new filters (seemed justified). After getting the bike back together (no small feat) I fired it up. It started right up and ran just like normal while idling in the driveway. No problems, "Nice work Deano" I thought to myself. It didn't matter that I had spent 8 hours working on the bike. I dun good! Right? Well, kinda...

I went out to the garage Monday morning to find a puddle under the bike. I thought the leak was oil from the tank drain plug as I noticed it was seeping there during the change. But it was gasoline leaking from the fuel pump in the tank. I managed to pinch the o-ring between the tank and the mounting plate. Son of a!!!

I bought a new o-ring and removed then reinstalled the pump in the tank. All connectors are connected just like the first time when the bike ran like normal but the bike will not start. The starter turns over but nothing. I checked all the fuses on the bike and they are fine. I removed the tank and checked the connections again and they are fine. The FI light comes on when I press the starter but it doesn't blink in any pattern that is noted in the owner's manual. It basically blinks with each revolution of the starter along with the neutral light, the oil light, etc.

I've had the battery run out of juice awhile back and now the battery runs out after just a few tries at the starter. Gonna get a new battery for it tomorrow as I think this is the original and likely tired out. Could this be the problem? Seems like not.

Any insights, suggestions, recommendations? I would really appreciate it.

Thanks,
Deano
Old 02-23-2011, 10:16 PM   #2
SierraJeep
It's toast

Oddometer: 627
Are the two fuel petcocks turned on? The first start/idle may have been the gas in the lines between the tanks and FI. Just a thought... (start with something simple)

2010 KTM 990 Adventure
2010 KTM 450 EXC
SierraJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 10:18 PM   #3
capitalistbiker
Adventurer

Oddometer: 19
Deano,

If the fuel line quick disconnect isn't fully seated then fuel won't flow to your throttle bodies. You'll hear a click when it is fully seated and the release button will be fully extended. This is often missed during the gymnastics of reconnecting the electrics and plumbing under the left tank.

Russ
capitalistbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 10:28 PM   #4
SierraJeep
It's toast

Oddometer: 627
Quote:
Originally Posted by capitalistbiker View Post
Deano,

If the fuel line quick disconnect isn't fully seated then fuel won't flow to your throttle bodies. You'll hear a click when it is fully seated and the release button will be fully extended. This is often missed during the gymnastics of reconnecting the electrics and plumbing under the left tank.

Russ
Good call on that one, too. I forgot about that nifty little after-its-installed surprise!

2010 KTM 990 Adventure
2010 KTM 450 EXC
SierraJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 11:47 PM   #5
moroni
Adventurer

Oddometer: 18
Would anyone tell me where to order these filters, PLEASE!
moroni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 05:35 AM   #6
Hipster
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,727
The filters are KTM part 61007090000, Munn Racing is a good option for KTM parts http://www.munnracing.com/
Quote:
Originally Posted by moroni View Post
Would anyone tell me where to order these filters, PLEASE!
Hipster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 05:36 AM   #7
crashmaster
ow, my balls!

Oddometer: 5,159
Sorry to be the master of the obvious, but you do have fuel in the tank right?

crashmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 06:31 AM   #8
moroni
Adventurer

Oddometer: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hipster View Post
The filters are KTM part 61007090000, Munn Racing is a good option for KTM parts http://www.munnracing.com/
Hipster, thank you so much!
moroni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 06:53 AM   #9
kirb
should be out riding

Oddometer: 1,648
The FI light might suggest you forgot to re-connect the fuel pump electrical connector. Can you hear the fuel pump running?

I would also suspect the quick disconnect fuel line. Even if you THINK it is connected, it may not be. I found that out when mine popped loose 1/2 mile from the house and had to push the bike home. Double check.

I'm sure it is one of those two...unless you unplugged the fuel pump on the inside of the tank when you replaced the o-rings.
Old 02-24-2011, 07:31 AM   #10
Deano955 OP
Insatiable

Thanks guys. I'm pretty sure that all electrical and fuel connections are tight. There is fuel in the tanks and the petcocks are on. I tried to make sure all of the obvious stuff was done before posting here so as not to be a total dumbass (difficult sometimes).

When I turn the key, the lights come on, the needle on the tach needle bounces and I the fuel pump sounds like it comes on though it does not sound the same (not as loud and obvious that it's on).

Deano955 screwed with this post 02-24-2011 at 05:41 PM
Deano955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 07:38 AM   #11
kirb
should be out riding

Oddometer: 1,648
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deano955 View Post
Thanks guys. I'm pretty sure that all electrical and fuel connections are tight. There is fuel in the tanks and the petcocks are on. I tried to make sure all of the obvious stuff was done before posting here so as not to be a total dumbass.

When I turn the key, the lights come on, the needle on the speedo bounces and I the fuel pump sounds like it comes on though it does not sound the same (not as loud and obvious that it's on).
The FI light always comes on when you turn the key. It should go off right away (before the tach needle is done sweeping).

The petcocks don't need to be on as long as you have fuel in the tank at a proper level.

I'm going to go with quick disconnect fuel line. Pull apart, re-attach, try again.
Old 02-24-2011, 09:16 AM   #12
spafxer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,574
Quote:
When I turn the key, the lights come on, the needle on the speedo bounces and I the fuel pump sounds like it comes on though it does not sound the same (not as loud and obvious that it's on).

BINGO,,, when pumps don't sound the same, they aren't pumping properly >>> Quick Disconnect is not allowing fuel to flow
spafxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 10:38 AM   #13
Deano955 OP
Insatiable

I'll triple check the quick connect when I get home.

Fingers crossed....
Old 02-24-2011, 05:39 PM   #14
Deano955 OP
Insatiable

Hi Honey, I'm home and have a new battery for you...

Hooked up the new battery (ouch that was pricey) and triple checked the fuel quick connect before attempting to start it. Connections are good but it still will not flippin start!

I can clearly hear the fuel pump and the little electronic sounds that are normal when turning the key to "On". I even disconnected the quick connect on the fuel line, reconnected and tried again. There was fuel that spilled out of the injector side of the line when I disconnected it. It's getting fuel.

Can anyone tell me what this means on the screen?

It goes away once the tach needle has finished it's sweep.

Any other suggestions or comments are appreciated. I really hate the idea of hauling it to the local dealer...
Old 02-24-2011, 05:50 PM   #15
Questor
More Undestructable

Oddometer: 4,110
Quote:
Can anyone tell me what this means on the screen?

It goes away once the tach needle has finished it's sweep.

Any other suggestions or comments are appreciated. I really hate the idea of hauling it to the local dealer...
21 WS = 21" front wheel size.
Q~

Questor is offline   Reply With Quote