User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-10-2013, 11:11 AM   #1
keener OP
Speed changes you.

Oddometer: 799
Insulating the coolant pipe

Just sharing some thing I did over the weekend which I think is worth the effort.

The coolant line connecting the thermostat and radiator to the motor over the water pump runs close to the front exhaust header. This part of the exhaust pipe is probably its hottest point. Radiant heat increases the temperature of the coolant going to the radiator.

I used some heat shield material from Moose Racing last year to insulate this coolant line. It has great adhesion which survived lots of abuse. Its water proof. (http://www.mooseracing.com/products/...oductId=170008)

I used the same material to insulate the gas tanks and the air box.

While over hauling the water pump over the last weekend, since I had better access I insulated the pipe throughly:

thoughts?
Old 06-10-2013, 12:23 PM   #2
Two Moto Kiwis
Homeless Somewhere

Oddometer: 3,184
Good idea, noticed any improvement in temps?

I would like to see our SE NOT have the fans come on so much but soon as we slow down into any town 5 bars it is then fans on.

Almost like it needs another .25 or .50 litre capacity in the cooling system but the fans keep up with it especially when I turn the light off it gets full charge to the fans making a huge difference to the noise and air movement .
....Where The Hell Are We .. Spot Us
Two Moto Kiwis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 03:23 PM   #3
keener OP
Speed changes you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Moto Kiwis View Post
Good idea, noticed any improvement in temps?

I can't say I have noticed a hug difference. I have a second fan installed.

But , in my opinion, it must make a difference.
Old 06-10-2013, 04:18 PM   #4
Two Moto Kiwis
Homeless Somewhere

Oddometer: 3,184
Quote:
Originally Posted by keener View Post

But , in my opinion, it must make a difference.
Yes I like to run with the 1+1+1 theory, one item may not make the huge difference but the combo of items will.

SE has two fans so we are covered there.
....Where The Hell Are We .. Spot Us
Two Moto Kiwis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 09:18 AM   #5
HeatXfer
Bad knees

Oddometer: 378
Coming late to this party, but the only time you would might see an appreciable heat gain from the exhaust header to the coolant in the pump return pipe would be when at a stand-still. Air moving over both the header & the coolant pipe would eliminate most of the heat transfer when riding. Granted that pipe is painted black, but the coolant is constantly flowing. I don't know what the flow rate is at any given engine RPM, but I don't think the coolant temperature rise would be measurable.

On the contrary, I think the reflective heat shield would actually help retain more heat than it reflects.

You would reject heat from the return pipe if you added fins to it, but probably not worth the effort.

/BTW - I worked in industrial heating & cooling for 25yrs (couldn't tell from my forum handle? )

HeatXfer screwed with this post 04-13-2014 at 09:26 AM
HeatXfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 10:15 AM   #6
keener OP
Speed changes you.

good to know HeatXfer.

Try holding your fingers about an inche BELLOW the headers. That should more or less give the same radiant heat you get while riding. Specially in trail/traffic where majority if not all overheating scenarios happen.

My thinking was, coolant that is suppose cool down, should not pass an inch away from the hottest part of engine with no insulation, right?

I respectfully disagree with you that, this mod has the opposite effect. That pipe is not meant to cool the coolant. As long as coolant maintains its temperature while passing through, it should be fine. The insulation I put there prevents the pipe picking up radiant heat from the headers by reflecting it.

It has worked well for the past couple of years. Granted I can not measure the effects of it. It makes me feel better.
Old 04-13-2014, 10:40 AM   #7
HeatXfer
Bad knees

Oddometer: 378
HeatXfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 07:54 AM   #8
Surfdog
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 363
How about this.. Use the reflective hose wrap & header wrap on the down pipe.
Used the Header wrap on last 950.
I'll use it on my 990, just havent gotten around to it.
Old 04-14-2014, 08:21 AM   #9
ADVill
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 267
I'd think if enough heat were transferred to the coolant to make an issue, the coolant pipe would be melting.
Old 04-14-2014, 08:38 AM   #10
Suddenstop
Adventurer

Oddometer: 20
Wrap the header pipe.
Suddenstop is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 08:47 AM   #11
StevenD
Hmmmm, dirt!

Oddometer: 1,062
wrapping these headers is not a good idea. they will corrode like creazy.
Old 04-14-2014, 09:05 AM   #12
Head2Wind
MotorcycleMayhem

Oddometer: 2,412
The greater heat source in this situation (IMO) is the header. If I recall there are effectively two methods for transfer of heat, conductive and convective. Since the header is not in direct contact with the water cooling pipe, air is the transfer medium, so the heated air from the header can then transfer heat into the cooling pipe provided that the temperature of the coolant is lower than the heated air..... Convective transfer IMO is where we need to block/separate these two systems, the Infrared heat coming off the header is significant and is where a reflective wrap of 'insulation' can be most effective. The additional fiber mesh under the reflective surface will help reduce transfer between the two surfaces of the foil and the wrapped surface.

IMO, the coolant pipe offers very little heat rejection capabilities and therefore wrapping it with foiled insulation will produce better systems separation... let the 'radiator' do its job.

In the past on my 04 ADV, I have foil wrapped the interior of my fuel tanks, insulated the airbox with foil faced foam insulation, covered the coolant line that we are discussing with similar materials as well as improved the area of the tank shielding in the same area that the header passes through.

IMO, the 'best' solution for this would be to place a thin sheet metal (stainless is best), say .025" or so thick, 'heat shield' over the section of header pipe. It needs to have a air gap as insulation.... Granted, not a easy thing to make as it has compound curves... could be made out of sections of tubing that are then cut in half. This will stop most of the heat coming directly off the header and let the air absorb and transfer it away from everything else.
Head2Wind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 10:33 AM   #13
Suddenstop
Adventurer

Oddometer: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenD View Post
wrapping these headers is not a good idea. they will corrode like creazy.
I assumed they were made out of stainless?
Suddenstop is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 10:48 AM   #14
armourbl
Adventure Life

Oddometer: 296
Ever seen the radiator hoses that have cooling fins built into them?

What about JetHot or some other ceramic header coating. I hear they coat them on the inside and outside and claim reduced heat exchange from the header piper, as well as protect the header from corrosion.

ben
Old 04-14-2014, 10:57 AM   #15
Head2Wind
MotorcycleMayhem

Oddometer: 2,412
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suddenstop View Post
I assumed they were made out of stainless?
carbon steel, chrome plated and not that well at that... so probably nickel then chromium rather than nickel,copper,chromium

The heat is what really kills the header tube material. The exhaust temps that these engines run are rather high, so wrapping them holds it all in and they get brittle as well as corrode. In short order the rear header tube will fail if wrapped...

The SM, SD and SMT are stainless steel (not sure of grade), the ADV is not.
Head2Wind is offline   Reply With Quote