Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-06-2013, 09:54 AM   #46
Jaimoto
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,191
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidD View Post
KTM's, like BMWs like a bit of oil
Not exactly, my 990 doesn't consume any oil between oil changes, or at least not enough to notice it. I may be lucky but at 52,000 km it seems mine is not an exception to the rule.

2007 KTM 990 Adventure
2012 Yamaha BWs 125
Jaimoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 10:09 AM   #47
Jaimoto
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcmann View Post
This thread is the reason I started a positive OC thread:

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=900437
Trips my trigger too
And I can always go back to "windscreen disgust" if I want to bash it

2007 KTM 990 Adventure
2012 Yamaha BWs 125
Old 07-06-2013, 10:28 AM   #48
DavidD
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goti View Post
Not exactly, my 990 doesn't consume any oil between oil changes, or at least not enough to notice it. I may be lucky but at 52,000 km it seems mine is not an exception to the rule.
That's strange I ran a 990S for three years and 36,000 miles, followed by a 990R for four years and 30,000 miles and my bikes always needed oil between services. Maybe its how or where they are ridden
Moto Guzzi Griso
BMW HP4 Competition
DavidD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 10:39 AM   #49
Jaimoto
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
That's strange I ran a 990S for three years and 36,000 miles, followed by a 990R for four years and 30,000 miles and my bikes always needed oil between services. Maybe its how or where they are ridden
Honestly, between oil changes I always make one or two long trips and since Chile is a pretty long country i have to put lots of highway miles to get to my offroad destination, so yes, many of my 990 miles are steady low revs cruising. But I try to stay away of highways as much as possible

2007 KTM 990 Adventure
2012 Yamaha BWs 125
Old 07-06-2013, 10:20 PM   #50
Katoom72
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 822
Oil useage on break-in is fairly normal. The rings have not settled and the cilinder is still rough. Hell i changed oil and filter after a few 100km's on my SDR, and then again at the first service. 0 oil usage after that.
And i got it to tickle the rev limiter since day one...
'00 KTM 250sx -- '03 KTM 450sx -- '03 Yamaha R6 -- '08 KTM SuperDuke R --- '13 KTM 690 enduro R
Katoom72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 02:40 AM   #51
Tancakar
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 357
Quote:
Tancakar, I just don't get it...

I understand your particular bike has some problems so even though it seems you love it you have the right to hate it if you wish, and that's fine, you paid lots of bucks for it and you should get a flawless piece of engineering. Again, it's fine if you love it or hate it.

I've been following all 1190 threads and always found you strongly recommending it to all people who are in doubt, at the same time your particular bike was showing problems.
You praised its offroad capabilities compared with other adv bikes, encouraging people to get one. I was interested in how the standard version performed offroad so I asked you about it and you said you just rode it in a gravel road for a mile...
And now you regret buying the 1190 and you are saving to get a GS. That's fine too. Just pick a lane...

Don't take this the wrong way, I'm not trying to offend you, I really appreciate 1190 owner's comments since I really like this bike -not enough $$$ to get one though and not sure if I like my 990 better- and while nobody should buy a bike based on what he reads on the internet, if someone were trusting in your comments to make his decision...

Jaime
I am not regretting to buy this bike at all. I am really happy with it I think I was a little unlucky still trying to sort little issues . I recommend this bike 100% it has been lovely to own it . Basically it didn't miss a beat one time I think like some other guys says I got the problem with my dealer ship.

I did have some little problems they are not major,but again I am not regretting buying a ktm , unfortunately yes I am mad at buying bikes I wish I can afford 3 :).

I don't want to offend anyone by sharing my problems with the bike but I am just checking if anyone else getting the same problems.
Tancakar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 02:44 AM   #52
Tancakar
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Tancaker - a deep breath, relax and..................breathe.................

KTM's, like BMWs like a bit of oil, especially when they are running in. Just before my trip to Europe I checked the level on the centre stand and topped it up to its max, at the campsite I did a school boy error, looking at it on the side stand and it was fine. But on getting back after 1300 fast road miles it needed 600ml to top it up. Nothing to worry about, you just need to keep an eye on it, it does settle down a little, but you will always use oil between services. You need a supply of the stuff in your garage and on the big road trips (1000 mile plus) maybe carry a small 500ml bottle.

Re the rest of your comments, two tihings - firstly it sounds like you have an issue with your particular bike - one that needs to be fixed, especially if it involves fuel. Second you have an issue with your dealer. London KTM dealers (if you can find one) are ok at selling bikes but not so great with warranty work or servicing - I would head out of Town to one of the more established and experienced dealers. Take your pick there are a few - have a look at the UK KTM forum and you will get loads of reviews of dealers and their service levels etc.

I work in London but live in the South West and I would not let any London dealer touch any of my bikes. Near me you have Crescent (WSB Team) in Verwood near Ringwood and further out near Plymouth you have JD Racing in Saltash, but there are lots of others north of London. What I am trying to say is make a day of it and travel out, enjoy the trip and get your bike looked after properly.

Certainly do not let poor dealer service ruin what is a superb bike.

Hope you manage to sort it................
Finally some one understand ;) thx mate I though its normal to spend some oil . And I know I think I got a dealer problem by the way it's a Croydon dealer.
Old 07-07-2013, 02:49 AM   #53
Tancakar
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Douf View Post
To find out if it is 10w 40 or else.

Obviously I know the bike doesn't work with olive oil. I am 24/7 365 days riding bike. Oil isn't some thing you can just mess about and experience as you go . So I ask them which oil been used in my bike.
Old 07-07-2013, 04:51 AM   #54
Jaimoto
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tancakar View Post
i am not regretting to buy this bike at all
ok

Quote:
Originally Posted by tancakar View Post
it's going to be an amazing piece but 14000 price tag. I need to wait and demo it next year. Shame i bought the ktm 1190 . Think bmw will do a big launch about r1200 gsa and rt ;( next year.

Well it means i need to save up. omg they are thinking bigger range 33 lt or more fuel tank . 300 miles or more range .lets see when it will come out. They should have launch all them last year really just beta test it with gs 1200 wc.

2007 KTM 990 Adventure
2012 Yamaha BWs 125
Old 07-07-2013, 06:36 AM   #55
mcmann
Motorcycle Maniac

Oddometer: 1,428
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tancakar View Post
I am not regretting to buy this bike at all. I am really happy with it I think I was a little unlucky still trying to sort little issues . I recommend this bike 100% it has been lovely to own it . Basically it didn't miss a beat one time I think like some other guys says I got the problem with my dealer ship.

I did have some little problems they are not major,but again I am not regretting buying a ktm , unfortunately yes I am mad at buying bikes I wish I can afford 3 :).

I don't want to offend anyone by sharing my problems with the bike but I am just checking if anyone else getting the same problems.
We shared your happiness when you started your 1190A thread (see your thread pic below). It is fine to vent your frustrations (Do a couple hundred push-ups) . . . Then, share ideas for improvements to your OC Dream bike with your new OC brothers etc.

You look very proud . . . We hope you get everything sorted:

NOTE:

PS: it is a good idea to double-check the torque on all critical components on a new bike (any make).
Especially, forks, wheels/tires, chain & axles . . . As you know, humans make mistakes . . . You must take some responsibily for your own welfare etc.

2011 DL650 V-Strom "Real World"
2014 FZ-09 for the "WOW World"

mcmann screwed with this post 07-08-2013 at 05:04 AM
mcmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 07:08 AM   #56
JBird
Retriever

Oddometer: 780
"BIKE" magazine in their long term test has twice commented on the 1190s thirst for oil. In the July issue "Less pleasing is oil consumption - drinks a litre in 1000 miles -" "but I hope the thirst for oil doesn't get any worse. After all there's only so much left in the ground."

They call it abnormal and are planning on keeping track of the consumption. They mention it again in the August issue.

I've owned 3 950s and they all used a little oil - but not near the level of what "BIKE" is reporting.

These guys at "BIKE" are some the best moto journalists in the world and not afraid to call it like it is. I trust their opinions - they aren't blinded by their love for a brand or out to demonize one either.

We all want to love this bike - but don't kill the messenger!
'08 Goldwing
'98 Golden Retriever
JBird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 10:59 AM   #57
Tancakar
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
ok
Shame I bought the 1190 before I try the water cooled GSA that what I meant anyway I wish I will have a economy to buy that as well and add it to my fleet:)
Old 07-07-2013, 11:03 AM   #58
Tancakar
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
We shared your happiness when you started your 1190A thread (see your thread pic below). It is fine to vent your frustrations (Do a couple hundred push-ups) . . . Then, share ideas for improvements to your OC Dream bike with your new OC brothers etc.

You look very proud . . . We hope you get everything sorted:

NOTE:
Everything seems ok now, this week I couldn't go to the dealer for a check up but next week I will just to make sure.

Thanks mate and yes I am very proud to have the bike , all I want to do a big tour this summer :) Europe possibly ..
Old 07-07-2013, 12:43 PM   #59
Gillberg375
Adventurer

Oddometer: 38
[QUOTE=mcmann;21802169]***************

Bloody hell! By the time you do all that, you'd be doing a night ride.
Gillberg375 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 10:38 PM   #60
Katoom72
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 822
[QUOTE=Gillberg375;21810418]
Quote:

Bloody hell! By the time you do all that, you'd be doing a night ride.
It takes you that long to walk around your bike?
The thing has 2 wheels, a front and rear brake, also 0 protection to absorb impact. I always check out my bike before i go out on a ride.
Wouldn't want to lose a leg over some mechanical fart that i could have spotted if i only made the effort to do so.

the very least is: lights and indicators, tires, brake/clutch/suspension leaks and water/oil level. That's like 2 minutes out of your free time.
'00 KTM 250sx -- '03 KTM 450sx -- '03 Yamaha R6 -- '08 KTM SuperDuke R --- '13 KTM 690 enduro R

Katoom72 screwed with this post 07-08-2013 at 12:20 AM
Katoom72 is offline   Reply With Quote