Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-03-2013, 04:27 AM   #1
gouralnik OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 134
HELP: weird sound when starting

Hello,

after researching this issue on the HOW and this forum I could not find any answers, so I post it in hope to find the wisdom:

1) Bike: 2004 KTM 950 Adv (immaculate condition; very well maintained; no issues so far, has not been ridden offroad)

2) A few months back I got the bike from a major service (incl. waterpump rebuild and valve check) and some weeks later it started:

Issue: When the bike is parked for a day without being ridden and it is relatively cold outside (say +5 degrees celsius at night; I'm in Australia...so not that cold) --> I turn the ignition on, everything is fine, I push the startor button and as soon as I do it some weird electrical-sounding - sound appears (this sound is not that quiet ... it's really present) - the gear positioning indicator on the dash (N) starts flickering when I'm pushing the startor button --- all electronics work: lights, indicators, high beam etc.

The startor motor seems to work, however the engine sometimes does not crank at all (so then I only hear this sound if I keep pressing the startor button: as if an electrical current is flowing). Lights work; dash works; gear indicator and indicators etc work like as if some electrical current is flowing), sometimes the engine cranks but just not enough ...seems like any moment it could start but it just cranks with this electrical sound. Sometimes the engine fires up, sometimes not. Then I leave the bike in the sun for a few minutes and boom, it literally warms up and starts. The choke does not change the situation in any way - exactly the same. If I warm up the engine and then park ... no issues afterwards (say even after 4 hours). It then starts straight away.

Any advise what I should be doing would be much appreciated. Thank you.
gouralnik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 04:39 AM   #2
Orangecicle
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,088
Any way you can post a cell phone video of the issues? Have you checked the battery terminal connections to make sure they are tight?
Orangecicle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 05:01 AM   #3
gefr
Life is a trip

Oddometer: 3,724
I would take a wild guess.

Could be the sprag system is worn. In case you hear a hissing sound and the motor denies to start. In case thgis is the culprit you can use the beads from a 640, for cheaper, since you do not need to buy the ignition rotor. You can find the parts in a microfische catalogue (munnracing for one) at the ignition system page. Cheers.
gefr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 05:18 AM   #4
gouralnik OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangecicle View Post
Any way you can post a cell phone video of the issues? Have you checked the battery terminal connections to make sure they are tight?
I will post it within 24 hours. Have no time at the moment.
Old 07-03-2013, 05:21 AM   #5
gouralnik OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gefr View Post
Could be the sprag system is worn. In case you hear a hissing sound and the motor denies to start. In case thgis is the culprit you can use the beads from a 640, for cheaper, since you do not need to buy the ignition rotor. You can find the parts in a microfische catalogue (munnracing for one) at the ignition system page. Cheers.
What does sprag stand for? I apologize for this question. I started as a total noob one year ago and now advanced to a semi-noob.
Old 07-03-2013, 10:20 AM   #6
DeepInIt
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,368
Your bike is just upset at never having been offroad. Now that's bike abuse!
DeepInIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 03:56 PM   #7
TcRulz
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 289
I would say Gefr is on the money or it may be the rotor spinning on the crankshaft. Not sure when they fitted a key between those two.

My 03 950A was making odd noises from the bottom end as the six bolts were undoing themselves and making a mess of the stator. Only become an issue when I ran out of all electrical power and on jumper starting the starter just spun the freewheel (no bolts to lock it to the rotor).

It's unlikely to be this last problem but if you need to pull the left side cover you need to check these bolts have locktite 648 and are torque correctly and you probably want to change the balance shaft seal (0760122050) while it's easy.
TcRulz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 05:17 PM   #8
Motomedic
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,410
Sounds more like a battery that's nearing the end of it's service life.

Start with the basics, my friend.

I don't have to agree with you to like you or respect you. -Anthony Bourdain
Motomedic is online now   Reply With Quote