User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-01-2013, 10:29 AM   #1
73datsun OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 287
11k miles through AK, Canada and National Parks

I depart July 2nd to begin a month long trip. Starting in MN, through Canada, into Alaska, onto the Dempster. South to Glacier, Yellowstone, Grand Teton, Bonneville Salt Flats, Grand Canyon, Continental Divide, Rushmore, Black Hills, Badlands and then home.

As planned, the mileage is ~11k miles.

The route:

Here's a link to my daily stops and notes: http://goo.gl/jKJpA

The bike:

2013 BMW F700GS; comfort and safety package
SW Motech crash bars
MOD Bashplate
SW Motech pannier rack
TRAX panniers
MOD tail rack
Rotopax 2gal aux
MRA adjustable windscreen
Throttle lock
Barkbusters
Touratech headlight guard
Touratech 20mm bar risers
Touratech GPS mount
Garmin 660
Giant Loop Fandango, modified for accessory power
Alaska Leather sheepskin butt pad
Pazzo adjustable clutch and brake levers
Wunderlich clutch arm
Wunderlich brake pedal enlarger
MOD side stand (assuming it gets here in time)

The gear:

Packing list, may be helpful for other folks who are prepping for a trip: http://goo.gl/X5IeY

I've since decided to ditch the MacBook Pro in favor of an iPad and bluetooth keyboard

I'm doing 75% solo. But a fellow ADV'er, AspentureRider, is meeting me in Anchorage and then riding the Denali, Top of the World, Dempster and then south with me. So I'll be riding with someone else during some of the more harry times.

If you have any last minute recommendations, I'll gladly take them. But please don't tell me "you're doing it all wrong!" I don't need the panic attack at the last minute.

73datsun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 11:07 AM   #2
Oldone
One day at a time!

Oddometer: 652
Great country....

Good luck on your up-coming trip to some great country. I'll be following along and hoping things go well for you. Two of our kids live in Anchorage so that makes it extra interesting. Stay safe.

Gary "Oldone"

Grampa’s Lake Superior Ride
Grampa’s National Monument Ride
Oldone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 01:21 PM   #3
JDK111
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 249
Good luck on your trip!!

fyi; If you need any BMW stuff after your first couple of days there's a decent BMW dealer in Saskatoon. They'll be very convenient if you need anything (2 blocks off your route).
JDK111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 01:57 PM   #4
selkins
No hay banda!

Oddometer: 1,486
You're certainly well organized! Here are a few suggestions - take or leave 'em:

* Dawson to Fort McPherson is a long day in good conditions, VERY long in my limited experience of poor conditions on the Dempster.

*There are lots of bits that I would slow down for, but the one that really sticks out is your Jasper to Waterton Park day. Jasper to Banff is really worth a full day IMHO.

* Leaving Whitehorse I was very happy that I went a little further than Muncho Lake and stayed at Summit Lake campground. It's on the road, but very scenic and peaceful.

* Have you ridden the Going to the Sun road in Glacier NP? I'd say it's worth a re-route to go over that then down through Missoula, rather than the east side of Glacier and the Bob Marshall Wilderness.

* I'd ditch the machete entirely, and the shovel for a small trowel. Maybe substitute a small axe if you're planning on chopping wood for your campfire.

* Walden - can't fault your taste in reading material! I'd suggest also a collection of Robert Service poems and maybe Muir's Travels in Alaska.

* Be sure to pack some quality rain gear and insulated/waterproof gloves!

* I'd leave the dog behind, though it looks like s/he is already feeling a bit crestfallen, so maybe you've broken the news?

Have a great time! Looking forward to your posts.

Mid-America -- Ozarks (Darkrider) -- Lake Superior Circle Tour -- NW US -- Labrador -- Big Bend (Darkrider) -- Yukon/Dempster Hwy -- WTX/NNM/SCO
selkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 02:11 PM   #5
srelegante
srelegante

Oddometer: 199
You will have a great ride!

FWIW-a high quality, one piece rainsuit will save your hide-I am sure you already have one.

Go through Whitehorse and stay at Burwash Landing if you need a hot meal, dry bed and would like to meet some fine folks.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g316033-d1527735-Reviews-Burwash_Landing_Resort_RV_Park-Burwash_Landing_Yukon.html

Ride safe and keep us informed!

SE
srelegante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 02:16 PM   #6
73datsun OP
Gnarly Adventurer

I'm hoping for the best with the Dempster. If the conditions suck, I'll bail and gain some more time for the Jasper portion. But I totally realize it could make for a long day.

I'm take it or leave it on the machette. I like that it's serrated/saw on the back edge. It slide under the rear luggage rack, doesn't really contribute much in size or weight. Might ditch it at the last minute.

I guess a garden trowel would have worked. Not sure why I never thought of that. I picked the entrenching tool because it packed small and worked for pounding tent stakes, etc.

Good to know about Whitehorse, I'll see if I can push for a longer day.

I'm locked and loaded to ride the Going to the Sun road, I've noticed that the links in my shared document don't always display properly when clicked on by other folks, so perhaps that happened when you looked at the map link.

I'm a reader, so it was tough to plan a book to take, I guess I could go e-books, but even as a tech lover, I prefer books. Somehow, I've never read Walden.

I had originally planned to do this in two additional days, but my brother is deploying to serve as a PA in the Army hospital in Afghanistan, so I'm flying to Savannah with my wife the day after returning to give him a family farewell.

Thanks for the tips!
Old 07-01-2013, 02:23 PM   #7
73datsun OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by srelegante View Post
FWIW-a high quality, one piece rainsuit will save your hide-I am sure you already have one.

Oops. I have the BMW Rallye Pro 2 suit with the gortex liner. I was hoping I could do the ride in that suit. I did a 150mi ride in a torrential downpour, for practice. And the only thing that became damp was around my waist line from the water pooling.

Maybe I'll buy something at one of the shops on the way.
Old 07-01-2013, 02:31 PM   #8
broken paddle
Adventurer

Oddometer: 19
Looks like the trip of a life time

I have been dreaming of a similar trip for 10 years or better. Plan on retiring in the next few years and do a similar trip from Georgia. I have gone fishing in AK for the last 5 years and really love the state. I would have to carry some bear spray as I am a little afraid of them. Looking forward to following you travels and hoping you a safe and wonderful trip.
broken paddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 02:45 PM   #9
73datsun OP
Gnarly Adventurer

I'm only 30. So I hope I have a chance to top this.
Old 07-01-2013, 03:39 PM   #10
Ironheadziggy76
What the hell?

Oddometer: 491
Subscribed!

I'm in!

I made the trip up north back in 09, and I'm in the planning stages for another trip up in 2015 with a good friend. He is just about to pull the trigger on a bike just like yours, so he will probably like to hear how it does on the trip.

Be safe!
Ironheadziggy76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 07:56 AM   #11
73datsun OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Testing tapatalk app.

This is a fish I caught over Christmas.

This was just a test for mobile uploading. I depart this evening with a short ride to the family cabin.
Old 07-02-2013, 09:46 PM   #12
73datsun OP
Gnarly Adventurer

So today was a simple ride. Just 125mi or so. But was delayed 3hrs waiting on a bluetooth keyboard case for my ipad. UPS finally came and I hit the road.

Initial thoughts:
I screwed with the MRA shield just prior to leaving and it created a weird buffeting pocket. No bueno. That whole, "don't screw with anything before a big trip," yeah, that advice should be adhered to.

First time using throttle lock. Awesome. Changes everything for longer rides.

I mis-aimed my headlight when putting the MRA shield and Touratech guard on. But I'll have time to tweak that tomorrow.

Nothing exciting for this update. Spending the next day with my wife and her family at their cabin. Fishing. Grilling. Generally freaking out about the impending trip.

So it goes.

sparing updates to @ _ccampbell on instagram :: http://instagram.com/_ccampbell

updated more regularly @ https://www.facebook.com/campbellca/...0704051&type=3

satellite spot tracker @ http://share.findmespot.com/shared/f...ucLYqI95WQCprO

Thanks for the well wishes. Manitoba on Thursday.
Old 07-02-2013, 10:46 PM   #13
tvbh40a
PSUViking

Oddometer: 1,412
I am in

Made the Dempster trip last July 5th from Idaho. Most memorable ride ever. Ran the Dempster in a day each way with a lengthy lunch and dry out at Eagle Plains.. Your stock tire will give you no love on the Dempster when it rains. I did say when not if...

tvbh40a screwed with this post 07-02-2013 at 10:52 PM
tvbh40a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 12:15 AM   #14
Moto Mikey
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 440
When in Tok, camp at Thompson's Eagle Claw Motorcycle Park:

http://thompsonseaglesclaw.com

I'll be riding a similar route on my way from Alaska to FL. Looks good

Moto Mikey screwed with this post 07-03-2013 at 12:24 AM
Moto Mikey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 04:13 AM   #15
73datsun OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvbh40a View Post
Made the Dempster trip last July 5th from Idaho. Most memorable ride ever. Ran the Dempster in a day each way with a lengthy lunch and dry out at Eagle Plains.. Your stock tire will give you no love on the Dempster when it rains. I did say when not if...
The good news, I'm headed to Anchorage first. In Anchorage I'm switching to TKC80 front and a Tourance rear. Per Barb, of Alaska Leather, suggestion.