User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-06-2013, 08:27 AM   #136
slowoldguy
Tire Tester

Oddometer: 8,213
Tricepilot's México: Off-Road Through the Sierra Madre From Durango to Mazatlán

Good. God. Almighty. SR. That is outstanding!

Let's see. Lose 50 pounds. Buy a little bike. Learn to ride. Get treatment for acrophobia. Talk TXJames or the nephews into coming with me to get me outta the deep shit when, inevitably, I get myself into it. This could happen.

Oh. And the picture of Bob hugging the inside line? P'shaw. You ain't ever seen hugging the inside line till you see me. I'da been dragging my left grip against those rocks. There could be a rock the size of a washing machine to negotiate in the inside line and I'll still choose it over the cliff side line. I'll choose the mountain side wheel track every time. Trice had it right. ;)
slowoldguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 08:49 AM   #137
SR
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 991
Thanks Slowoldguy. Hugging the inside line is a good survival instinct, but it can be a bad habit in places where another vehicle might be coming the other direction around the blind corner. In this case there probably wasn't a truck on the road within 80 kilometers of us.

SR screwed with this post 07-06-2013 at 03:25 PM
SR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 09:17 AM   #138
slowoldguy
Tire Tester

Yeah, well. That makes a lot of sense. And I preach lane discipline all the time. Ask anybody. ;) But I'll still take the possible head-on with the probably slow moving truck rather than the certainty of the blackhole sucking electro death magnet that lives 800 meters down from the cliff side wheel track. ;)

JK. Your point is well-made.

slowoldguy screwed with this post 07-06-2013 at 10:08 AM
Old 07-06-2013, 10:10 AM   #139
veriest1
Grand NOOBlet

Oddometer: 2,203
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowoldguy View Post
Good. God. Almighty. SR. That is outstanding!

Let's see. Lose 50 pounds. Buy a little bike. Learn to ride. Get treatment for acrophobia. Talk TXJames or the nephews into coming with me to get me outta the deep shit when, inevitably, I get myself into it. This could happen.
I'm already shopping for the little bike but I need to start working out more seriously. By the time I have a little bike and the needed skills the kids should be old enough for me to leave the hacienda.

Or just bring TXJames and make him clear all the rough stuff for us. Sounds less risky that way.

If my wife kills me it'll be SR, Shcizzman, and JDowns fault.

If I get myself killed riding south of the border... it's their fault too.
Sent from my HTC using magic.
veriest1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 10:51 AM   #140
crashmaster
ow, my balls!

Oddometer: 5,004
Quote:
Originally Posted by tricepilot View Post
Among is last words to me were "we can get you to a hospital, but just don't break my bike"

Man this looks like big fun!!! My 450 wants to go!

crashmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 01:19 PM   #141
D K
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 462
Excellent stuff Trice!!!

As I mentioned before, I plan on doing this next year. Either on my Super Enduro, or my Husa 570.

Question: What bike are you riding next year and how do you plan on getting it there?

Other question: Do we have to wait until next year to do it, or can a bunch of us get together and do our own RUTA??
’08 950SE for sale in SoCal
’09 FE570 patiently waiting..
D K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 02:56 PM   #142
SR
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 991
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowoldguy View Post
Yeah, well. That makes a lot of sense. And I preach lane discipline all the time. Ask anybody. ;) But I'll still take the possible head-on with the probably slow moving truck rather than the certainty of the blackhole sucking electro death magnet that lives 800 meters down from the cliff side wheel track. ;)

JK. Your point is well-made.
I guy I went to High School with was off-road riding, came around a blind corner fast, smashed head on into a 4x4, and snapped both femurs on his handle bars. I try to keep that thought with me when I ride off road.

Where is Tricepilot? He's loosing control of this RR
SR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 03:42 PM   #143
tricepilot OP
El Gran Payaso

Oddometer: 8,302
Quote:
Originally Posted by SR View Post
Where is Tricepilot? He's loosing control of this RR
Not so, El Alacran!

Quote:
Originally Posted by veriest1 View Post
I'm already shopping for the little bike but I need to start working out more seriously.
I am preserving the fitness necessary to tackle a ride such as we are reporting about.

Today I knocked down another good cycling event, a 70 miler that honors a pastor who was killed riding his bicycle in the area around Seguin/McQueeney Texas.

Tricewife and Tricedaughter also threw in for the ride.

Temps got up near 100 degrees, but cycling in the heat and going good distance is something I credit, as a 50 plus year old, to being able to keep up with a brand new 40 year old still-got-the-mojo guy as you are.

The DGO-MAZ ride is not, as I've said before, a ride that an out-of-shape rider should consider. You don't have to be Dwight Howard fit (Superman), but you do have to be able to go a minimum of 12 hours a day on some fairly tough terrain, and do it back to back.

Cycling is my fitness tool of choice, and I may not be slim, but I've dropped a good amount of weight doing it. The CrossFit add-on only helped.

Two weeks from today starts RAGBRAI, mentioned earlier, a week long killer diller (if you take it seriously - some make it a knock back party). That's always the apex of cycling training for me.

There was one other gringo rider signed up for the Ruta ATV. Truth is, we had a serious talk about fitness, and this rider decided to wait until a future opportunity to tackle this ride. Smart man.

Two perspectives:

You have to be at least close to very good shape to do this ride.

You have to have a pretty good dirt riding base under your belt.

BUT, you don't have to be a triathlete nor do you have to be a Baja 1000 champion. Most of the ADV dirt aficianados I know on this site could do it, and probably have several degrees of an easier time with it than I did.

I had both of the above checked off, and I was still at a "measured pace" compared to all the other moto riders. All of whom, for the record, were really, really and I mean really, good off-road motorcycle rider.

If I come back to do it again in 2014, I want to be in twice as good a shape with a ton more dirt experience, that's how important I view those two factors to be.

Related note: SR nor I were delayed in the Sierra Madre for flats or a drowned bike. If either of these things, or both, happen to you, you had better be prepared for a really long day and factor in the added stress that these things throw at you.

Walter's ride sweeps got in both days near midnight - helping riders who were out much longer than 12 hours. You've got to have the fitness to withstand all of that. If I can do it, anyone can, but you have to really be honest with yourself about your fitness and not just your ability to ride a dirt bike.

tricepilot screwed with this post 07-06-2013 at 07:11 PM
tricepilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 03:47 PM   #144
tricepilot OP
El Gran Payaso

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdedse View Post
At first I thought "no way I'm watching a 26 minute plus video--don't have the time for that"....

http://advrider.com/forums/showpost.php?p=21792634&postcount=94

30 minutes later...

The guy on the 07 KLR has the same flavor as mine. Hmmmm....
Yes Paul, IIRC, last year Olaf did the event on a KLR 650. SR may correct me.

My last ride on my KLR 650 before I parked it in favor of a KTM 500 was Richard's (Trailboss) Big Bend event in March. I took it on (the unpaved, sandy) River Road and decided I was going to enjoy it.

The KLR in Big Bend:

Go Full Screen:

Go Full Screen

2009 KLR650:

Good miles for the experience bank account

However, I decided a KLR was too much work and way to heavy, so I began to look around. With the KTM, I did Richard's Hill Country 500 and had a blast. I also got some good seat time in on his DRZ400, which is another reason I really enjoyed riding SR's DRZ here in the Sierra.

Somewhere in the Texas Hill Country a couple of months ago on the KTM 500:

2013 KTM 500 EXC:

I'm glad I had these dirt miles under my belt before the ride in the Sierra!

tricepilot screwed with this post 07-06-2013 at 07:51 PM
Old 07-06-2013, 04:00 PM   #145
tricepilot OP
El Gran Payaso

That guy next to me is Vinny DiMartino of "American Chopper" fame. Probably the only normal guy on that now defunct show.

In one of my many business failures, I hired Vinny to build a "Mazatlán Chopper". You know, a theme bike for México. I thought I could leverage that into some kind of gig with the Mexican government and promote tourism.

I thought things were looking up, but apparently Paul Sr. destroyed my prototype in a fit a rage, so the project never really left the drawing board. And now that the show is kaput, I don't think it's worth reviving.

I did not meet Paul Jr. or his wife Rachel, but other than Vinny DiMartino, she was the only other one that made the show worth watching

tricepilot screwed with this post 07-06-2013 at 04:25 PM
Old 07-06-2013, 04:07 PM   #146
akaDigger
Amateur Adventurer

Oddometer: 397
Quote:
Originally Posted by SR View Post
Thanks Slowoldguy. Hugging the inside line is a good survival instinct, but it can be a bad habit in places where another vehicle might be coming the other direction around the blind corner. In this case there probably wasn't a truck on the road within 80 kilometers of us.
In my limited experience in Mexico, the closer the edge the smoother the groove.

Baja http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=863001
Oaxaca http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=866523
akaDigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 04:17 PM   #147
tricepilot OP
El Gran Payaso

A lot of you guys are pretty good with the GSA off-road.

In March, I saw one fully loaded GSA on the unpaved River Road in Big Bend.

Here's SR on my GSA at the Gobernador (not this trip - an earlier trip to Durango on another project).

He's the only one I know of that could do it on a dare - if he had a Ewan McGregor/Charlie Boorman type crew to assist in the many tight spots.

Exception: Rawhyde Honor Graduates may attempt it provided they have helicopter extraction insurance
Old 07-06-2013, 04:40 PM   #148
slowoldguy
Tire Tester

Yep. I hear ya. I have done the unpaved River Road on the Big Ugly GS Adv. Not exactly her favorite. Some of the stuff I took her on in MX in February was a good bit tougher than anything on RIver Road (rocky loose steep switchbacks) and longer, too but ....this looks and sounds exponentially tougher still. Too much for me. And I certainly wouldn't try it on a big bike.

This Ruta is just a pipe dream for me. Too much commitment. But keep it coming. I like to dream. ;)

slowoldguy screwed with this post 07-06-2013 at 04:48 PM
Old 07-06-2013, 05:26 PM   #149
Pedro Navaja
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,525
Quote:
I am preserving the fitness necessary to tackle a ride such as we are reporting about.

Today I knocked down another good cycling event, a 70 miler that honors a pastor who was killed riding his bicycle in the area around Seguin/McQueeney Texas.

Tricewife and Tricedaughter also threw in for the ride.

Temps got up near 100 degrees, but cycling in the heat and going good distance is something I credit, as a 50 plus year old, to being able to keep up with a brand new 40 year old still-got-the-mojo guy as you are.

Cycling is my fitness tool of choice, and I may not be slim, but I've dropped a good amount of weight doing it. The CrossFit add-on only helped.

...Truth is, we had a serious talk about fitness, and this rider decided to wait until a future opportunity to tackle this ride. Smart man.

You've got to have the fitness to withstand all of that. If I can do it, anyone can, but you have to really be honest with yourself about your fitness and not just your ability to ride a dirt bike.
I'm glad to read stuff like this. I have always believed that fitness is a very important part of riding. I too am in my 50's and make fitness a part of my lifestyle. Unfortunately I have cycled my weight several times. I am leaning down again and am in pretty good shape, but have taken it at a slower pace in goal-setting so that I don't injure myself again. Us older guys have to be more patient in hitting our goals, which is why I chose not to do CrossFit. But trice if you can handle it go for it. Some CrossFit gyms are almost like a cult, but the athletic performance is stupendous. I will be in the Houston half-Marathon next January, am training for it now, and also lift regularly. Like trice-wife, Sra. Navaja joins me in the training. It makes the training a team effort. She's as lean now as she was in high school.

Quote:
SR nor I were delayed in the Sierra Madre for flats or a drowned bike. If either of these things, or both, happen to you, you had better be prepared for a really long day and factor in the added stress that these things throw at you.

Practice, practice, practice. I think I have the flat tire thing down now, but it's still a couple of hours for me to get it done right. I do it twice a year with my field tools and it's never easy. Teaching myself how to make cables is my next training objective.

Pedro Navaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 05:39 PM   #150
Pedro Navaja
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,525
Quote:
My last ride on my KLR 650 before I parked it in favor of a KTM 500 was Richard's (Trailboss) Big Bend event in March. I took it on (the unpaved, sandy) River Road and decided I was going to enjoy it.

Good miles for the experience bank account

However, I decided a KLR was too much work and way to heavy, so I began to look around. With the KTM, I did Richard's Hill Country 500 and had a blast. I also got some good seat time in on his DRZ400, which is another reason I really enjoyed riding SR's DRZ here in the Sierra.
You are smart for downsizing. I would also say ego-less. There are too many riders riding too much iron. All due to successful marketing IMO. I'm old school and even for dirt won't ride anything that I can't flat-foot. Been called a fool for this many times. Yet all the older dirt bikes could be flat-footed by their riders. WRT this RR, for me would mean Yammie XT225/250 or Honda CRF230L, d/p bikes kitted up to get me to the location, and maybe bored and jetted for some additional velocity for the ride down to Mexico. I think you made a good choice of bike for this ride.

Pedro Navaja is offline   Reply With Quote