User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-06-2013, 05:52 PM   #151
slowoldguy
Tire Tester

Oddometer: 8,114
Tricepilot's México: Off-Road Through the Sierra Madre From Durango to Mazatlán

I agree with the flat footing "thang". I can't imagine riding a bike I couldn't flat foot. Well. I can. I just wouldn't do it. As far as a 250. Well, we differ there. Too limiting for me. But I can appreciate a different perspective without getting judgmental. Love what John Downs is doing on his.

Now. More pics of those mountains, please.

slowoldguy screwed with this post 07-06-2013 at 06:26 PM
slowoldguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 06:28 PM   #152
SchizzMan
pronounced `skiz-man

Oddometer: 7,618
Thanks again, SOG, for loaning me your low seat. Flat-footing be a good thang.

"As long as there's a horizon and I can see it, then I want to know what's there, mentally, physically and visually" - rtwpaul
SchizzMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 06:32 PM   #153
tricepilot OP
El Gran Payaso

Oddometer: 8,202
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jick Magger View Post
subscribed... caught up...and enjoying this tale
Hey Brian - As you already know, one of these bottles of Chenin Blanc from Casa Madero in Parras de la Fuente is yours - but exactly how I get this to Canada is something I've yet to nail down.

Maybe a wine distributor has a license to do that. I'll find out

Anybody ever ship wine from the U.S. to Canana, PM me
tricepilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 06:39 PM   #154
tricepilot OP
El Gran Payaso

Quote:
Originally Posted by SR View Post

Tricepilot has a strong survival instinct. Here he is skirting around the inside of the curve.

SR reminded me that this might be ok in some areas, but not in others.

Quote:
Hugging the inside line is a good survival instinct, but it can be a bad habit in places where another vehicle might be coming the other direction around the blind corner. In this case there probably wasn't a truck on the road within 80 kilometers of us.
In some areas with population (however small it was) and with any kind of pickup truck activity, the possibility of a face-to-face with a Ford was something in my fatigue I ignored.

I usually only looked for (what I thought) was the best line of traction - when I wasn't following SR directly - and didn't think of pickups because for the whole dirt ride we never really saw any "traffic" at all.

tricepilot screwed with this post 07-06-2013 at 07:09 PM
Old 07-06-2013, 06:41 PM   #155
crashmaster
ow, my balls!

Oddometer: 4,976
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowoldguy View Post
I agree with the flat footing "thang". I can't imagine riding a bike I couldn't flat foot. Well. I can. I just wouldn't do it.
never met a dirt bike I could flat foot. Well, maybe my 79 Elsinore, but then it didnt have enough suspension. You're supposed to ride the bike, not walk it down the trail.

crashmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 06:58 PM   #156
slowoldguy
Tire Tester

Well, therein lies the difference. I ride dual sports. Not dirtbikes. Have no interest in trail riding. Ranch roads? Yeah. I live on one. But single track? No interest at all. Rough roads are one thing. Dirt biking in an off-road park or cross country racing? Not in my wheelhouse. Just not interested.
Old 07-06-2013, 07:04 PM   #157
tricepilot OP
El Gran Payaso

Quote:

Tricepilot can describe this area with more flare than I can but I will say, it took us about 3 hours of downhill switchbacks to get to the bottom of this Barranca, then we crossed a river and it took another 2.5 hours to get back up. This is just one of six or seven huge E-W oriented deeply dissected drainages located in western Durango.

I think the word giddy fairly well describes the approach to the canyon, in terms of a sense of excitement that built as the depth of it first entered into view - it takes your breath away.

Many riders here have been to/into the Copper Canyon, and have a sense of the enormity of it and how beautiful it is.

The canyon we decended into at least matches anything I've seen in the Copper Canyon region.

The switchback into the canyon bottoms was a lot of work. I won't say it was the most technical or difficult part of the trek - but it was work.

Some riders hate decending and love climbing

Some riders hate climbing but are ok with going down down down

This descent was something that Walter said would be tough

I asked him at the lunch break if the second half of the day was going to be harder than the first half of the day

"100% harder", he said

I said "aw, c'mon Walter, do you really mean that?"

"Ok, 80 percent harder"

"What's the surface like?" I asked

He pointed to a pile of rock

"Like that"

(I thought to myself)

It was on the order of a 3K meter decent, top to river bottom. That took awhile.

I was amazed I never dropped the bike the first day (although twice on the second day - fatigue)

We were hoping to find a small ejido village at the river from which to buy some water - but there wasn't anything within sight.

One good thing about having ATV packmules running the Ruta - you can always bum a bottle of water from them. Which I did.

Not sure if they would share their gas, though
Old 07-06-2013, 07:22 PM   #158
tricepilot OP
El Gran Payaso

Quote:
Originally Posted by crashmaster View Post
Man this looks like big fun!!! My 450 wants to go!

Now Vinny, you are a rider who could step up to this tomorrow. I think you and Mark (Misery Goat) could team up with SR and Jimmex and have a blast.

If I've gotten close to what your bike looks like - it's perfect. And I know from your trip to SA that you've seen all the terrain and weather that might be thrown at you.

The one thing I think would be a hoot would be to make the run with this great group of adventurers. Like mentioned, SR and I were the only gringos. Some of the Mexican riders might have lived or worked in the US, but the vast majority were from all around México.

Once I've nailed down my Baja run in about 90 days, Tecate to Cabo, I'll not long after be ready for your high-sign and will truck out to San Diego and make another custom run with you if you're into it.

I've had plenty of fun crossing the border and exploring various places in México on the GS, but now I'm on a more one-off adventure binge, which is the reason for this Ruta Run.

It's not the longest trip I've taken in México, but in many ways it has been the most fun and the most rewarding.
Old 07-06-2013, 07:35 PM   #159
tricepilot OP
El Gran Payaso

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedro Navaja View Post
Yammie XT225/250

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedro Navaja View Post
Honda CRF230L
Old 07-06-2013, 07:44 PM   #160
Pedro Navaja
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,523
Yep. Those passed the seat test. Great aftermarket products and mods available to make them long range capable. Put an Airhawk cushion on them and I am good for a few thousand miles without getting any monkey butt. Thinking about adding one to the garage for late next year. Cuz I'm only 5'8" and lean, 250-ish is a good size for me. Like you, I would have to tune up before tackling something like this ruta ride. It's been a long time since I was riding around in California on a Hodaka 100.

Pedro Navaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 07:53 PM   #161
slowoldguy
Tire Tester

Edit: I'm gonna try to help get this train back on the track. We all have our idiosyncrasies and our opinions. Best not to clog up this great RR with petty differences. I'll just dog paddle my sorry over-compensating dual sport ass outta the way and stay awed by the pretty pics. lol Now. Where are my maps? ;)

slowoldguy screwed with this post 07-06-2013 at 09:20 PM
Old 07-06-2013, 10:20 PM   #162
crashmaster
ow, my balls!

Oddometer: 4,976
Quote:
Originally Posted by tricepilot View Post

Now Vinny, you are a rider who could step up to this tomorrow. I think you and Mark (Misery Goat) could team up with SR and Jimmex and have a blast.

If I've gotten close to what your bike looks like - it's perfect. And I know from your trip to SA that you've seen all the terrain and weather that might be thrown at you.

The one thing I think would be a hoot would be to make the run with this great group of adventurers. Like mentioned, SR and I were the only gringos. Some of the Mexican riders might have lived or worked in the US, but the vast majority were from all around México.

Once I've nailed down my Baja run in about 90 days, Tecate to Cabo, I'll not long after be ready for your high-sign and will truck out to San Diego and make another custom run with you if you're into it.

I've had plenty of fun crossing the border and exploring various places in México on the GS, but now I'm on a more one-off adventure binge, which is the reason for this Ruta Run.

It's not the longest trip I've taken in México, but in many ways it has been the most fun and the most rewarding.
It's super impressive to see you starting to learn off-road riding, (not off pavement riding) at 50+. It can be a painful process and there is a huge learning curve. You're going to get some more mad skillz yo, with Tim Morton in Baja.

FWIW, the DRZ vs. a 500 EXC. Like cutting with hatchet vs. a scalpel. I might have to bid my vacation for this ride next year as it looks like great fun.

crashmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 05:35 AM   #163
tricepilot OP
El Gran Payaso

Tim Morton's Baja Bound

Quote:
You're going to get some more mad skillz yo, with Tim Morton in Baja.

Really looking forward to September and running top to bottom with his crew

FWIW - the other riders signed up so far are Aussies from the Outback

I think I'm in trouble - again!

Kinda like checking your parachute after you've jumped

Im heavily favoring not bringing the KTM and just renting one of Morton's bikes.

Here are his choices:

XR650R

CRF450X

Yes, I know, your own bike tailored to your ergonomics is probably better, but....

Renting his bike means not having to truck the KTM from San Antonio to San Diego

Don't have to worry about maintenance on the ride. Air filter, tires, breakdowns, chain, etc. all taken care of.

Once in Cabo, if I had my own bike, I'd have to wait 3 days while the bike was hauled back to San Diego.

By using a Baja Bound moto, I can fly directly home from Cabo when the ride is over.

Quote:
It's super impressive to see you starting to learn off-road riding, (not off pavement riding) at 50+. It can be a painful process and there is a huge learning curve.

The deal for me in going with Baja Bound is many fold:

#1, by far and away: Concentrate on riding, and riding only - to get better at it.

I can do the full run from Tecate to Cabo and not just flail in northern Baja - this is a 9 day, all-dirt/all-day/every day adventure

Like the Sierra Madre ride - Can't quit just because it's hard!!

Don't have to worry about navigation

Don't have to worry about packing down the bike with all kinds of travel gear

Don't have to worry about breaking down

Once I make this run, top to bottom from Tecate to Cabo, I'll have a good idea if riding off-road in Baja is in my mojo. I'm sure it wil be. I simply want to bank the experience and use the ride as a recon.

But again:

#1, by far and away: Concentrate on riding, and riding only - to get better at it.

tricepilot screwed with this post 07-07-2013 at 05:42 AM
Old 07-07-2013, 05:54 AM   #164
tricepilot OP
El Gran Payaso

Danger Will Robinson!

Mr Concentration!!

One of the things SR and I talked about at length was the hazard of drowning a bike in the middle of the Sierra Madre

Kiko even recently sent me an article on how to resucitate a drowned motorcycle

Any of you who have had to go through this experience know what a royal pain in the rear it can be

I've worked on 2 bikes that have drowned in México - on Richard's Mextrek

SR tried to link a video from FB that showed our buddy Mike (the guy with the bug eye light system) dropping his bike into the water right at this very spot. Good thing the bike landed on the non-airbox side, and he picked it up right away. All this with Mike even having someone walking the river with him to try to make sure it didn't happen!!

I'm really curious as to how many dirt ADVers have had to deal with a drowned moto.

The other issue: SR's WR450R (and my KTM 500) are fuel injected. Not sure if that's an issue or what the steps are to get one of those going again if it falls into the river.
Old 07-07-2013, 06:08 AM   #165
tricepilot OP
El Gran Payaso

I took this video on Mextrek in the vicinity of Galeana - on a ride that was titled at the time as "The Unknown Ride" - since nobody in the group had been on that trail before

Approximately 30 water crossings

Here, the squad is trying to get Wayland's moto un-drowned

As all of you who have done this know - it's not a fast or easy effort if you've never done it before. Although the process can be studied and understood.

I'm still surprised at back country riders who don't prep for the possible

On this ride depicted, there were drowned bikes for which the owner didn't even bring the tools to remove the spark plug

I've been with riders who don't know how to fix flats or even carry a spare tube to do so

Risk Management isn't just about personal body risk management - it's how you forsee what could go wrong on the ride and do what's reasonable to mitigate the damage.

You can't fix or forsee everything - but you can take reasonable steps

Here's exactly what I'm talking about: Flailing for tools

Yes - right there on the left in the video is my buddy Wayland - assisting with ANOTHER drowned bike on the SAME crossing, right after we fixed HIS bike

You can hear the dialog - who's got what? Did you bring the yadda yadda? Maybe my dealio will fit the bike.

But what I love about Wayland is his self-effacing humor - here's what he taped to his forehead:

I think a lot of us have been there - he's just honest about it

Anyhoo - nobody's perfect all the time. Like I said - we weren't sure what to do if a fuel injected 450R hit the drink!

tricepilot screwed with this post 07-07-2013 at 06:18 AM